2020 (2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo

The Canadian Women's National Soccer Team has slayed the dragon.

Back in 2012, a very bad set of referee calls led to the US winning a vicious shootout and robbing the team of a chance to go for gold. Finally, revenge, in a tight, defensive, perfect (really, boring) game. But in the end, all that matters is who is going to play for gold.

It's pretty cool to see.

For the first time since 1992 a Dutch gold Olympic medal in athletics. Awesome 5000 m victory for Sifan Hassan who earlier this morning won her heat in the 1500 m after she fell in the last round! She also competes in the 10.000. An unheard of combination. This was a very cool day and there is more to come I hope.

I regret not getting up at 0520 AM today ... the world record on the men's 400m hurdles was 46,70. Dos Santos finished 3rd today with 46,72 ... Rai Benjamin smashed the record. Karsten Warholm smashed it even more.

I watched that live, it was really cool. That guy can run and jump and run some more.

I regret not getting up at 0520 AM today ... the world record on the men's 400m hurdles was 46,70. Dos Santos finished 3rd today with 46,72 ... Rai Benjamin smashed the record. Karsten Warholm smashed it even more.
Congrats! Warholm is outstanding. Benjamin drove him to this amazing time (and victory). Spectacular.

Belgian hockey team in the final! :clap:
Excellent. The Dutch men hockey.. their level has been going down for a while. Not top anymore. The women however...

Today waterpolo women: Netherlands vs Hungary in the quarter final.

I'm also looking forward to track cycling, open water swimming and of course all the athletics.

Last edited:
400 m hurdles was a spectacular race. Imagine crushing the world record with more than half a second... and finishing second! Insane. And what a man Karsten Warholm is. Phenomenal.

Insane. Pundits were saying that Warholm may crush it, even myself, I hinted it in this very thread, yet lost it.

Now word on the street is to watch out for Athing Mu crashing the WR at 800m women's race.
We are talking for the single longest standing WR in the history of track & field. Set on July 26th 1983, the Year of the Pig & Piece of Mind, by Jarmila Kratochvilova.

Athing Mu is a promising young American mid-distance runner, who is destined to become the female David Rudisha, sooner or later.

Yesterday one since 1992, today one since 1936.. Once the Dutch start delivering, they're flying! Here's to football's gold! :cheers:

Femke Bol (21 years) ran and jumped and broke an 18 year old European record (and the third time ever) in the 400 meter hurdles final.
The two other Americans (Sydney McLaughlin, 22 years next Saturday & Dalilah Muhammad, 31 years) were better.
A world record was needed to win this.

1628046772866.png
1628046785700.png

So a bronze medal for her. Still a wonderful result. Her senior career is young (1 year; McLaughlin's is 3 years). Here is to some more interesting years to come!

Meanwhile the Dutch hockey women seem to easily progress to the final, thrashing GB with 5-1.
After 1984, 2008 and 2012 we may all hope for gold again. In 2016, Great Britain beat us with penalties in the final.
It is not over yet, with 7 minutes to play. This dude is going to bed again though, trying to get some sleep.

Last edited:
There is something about the Tokyo Games athletes. Think about it. COVID restrictions have seriously affected our lives & bio-rhythms.
In the meantime, (top) fitness is something precious and fragile to maintain. It requires next level mental toughness to train consistently, add to that the COVID mess to our /their lives. Add anxiety for every single day not to catch or the fear that one may catch. The recalibrating of their routines.

To maintain top fitness under 1 1/2 year of upside-down, those people are giants of willpower. And some they even managed to deliver astonishing performances /World Records despite all that.

Finally, a gold medal for Bulgaria! :clap:
Ivet Goranova gets the gold in karate (women, 55kg).

One gold, one silver, and two bronze medals so far.

Basketball, men: USA vs France is the final.

France won from the US (83-76) in their first match of these games so this is going to be interesting.
Unfortunately the final will be played at a shitty time for us Europeans. Definitely programmed for US market.

11.30 Japan time (come on, a basketball final in the morning, what a bullshit) =
4:30 (most of) Europe time =
22:30 US east coast time

But alright, this is a US sport.

Very content with these results in the women's heptathlon.
The Belgian Thiam wins gold and for the first time Dutch people have an Olympic medal in this discipline. And two on an athletic Olympic podium is a first as well. Amazing!

1628170222067.png

Last edited:
The decathlon had a positive outcome with Canada's Damian Warner winning first place and setting an Olympic record on points. Pretty cool!

The women's soccer final - Canada vs. Sweden - has been moved to 9 PM Japan time (8 AM EST, 2 PM CST) which is very good, both for the performers who will not be asked to compete in the heat of the day and for me, who wants to watch the damned thing.

Back