2015 Remasters on CD

I am listening to the new Fear Of The Dark CD and at the end of Wasting Love when Bruce stops singing and the song is ending there is a crackle in the right speaker and then in the left and then the song ends. I played the iTunes version of the same mastering and it wasn't there.

Edit: The beginning of The Apparition also has some fuzzy distortion for a split second.

Edit Part II: OK, I listened to the iTunes files with headphones on and both instances are there as with the CD. Anyone have an original release of the CD that could check to see if it is part of the recording or not? It isn't enough to ruin my experience listening to the CD but I am still curious about it.

Last edited:
I have remastered audio question: are the 2015 FLAC/Onkyo remasters the same remasters as the vinyls and new CDs? Or are they different/better/worse?

Edit for more words: Check this shit out, went to visit my Onkyo account page because I purchased several of the FLAC/Hi-Res Iron Maiden albums, and two of them (Dance of Death and 7th Son) now say "no longer available for download, please contact support." I go and do a search, and both albums are still available for purchase. My guess is that they re-released these albums (there are newer release dates when I look at the album details than when I bought them) and did not add the newly added versions to my account page. I'm not super upset about this as I have numerous other copies of both albums, but it's still a little disconcerting that you pay for a digital service and they outright take it from you.

Last edited:
I have remastered audio question: are the 2015 FLAC/Onkyo remasters the same remasters as the vinyls and new CDs? Or are they different/better/worse?

Edit for more words: Check this shit out, went to visit my Onkyo account page because I purchased several of the FLAC/Hi-Res Iron Maiden albums, and two of them (Dance of Death and 7th Son) now say "no longer available for download, please contact support." I go and do a search, and both albums are still available for purchase. My guess is that they re-released these albums (there are newer release dates when I look at the album details than when I bought them) and did not add the newly added versions to my account page. I'm not super upset about this as I have numerous other copies of both albums, but it's still a little disconcerting that you pay for a digital service and they outright take it from you.
That sounds like a technical error. I'd contact their support.

OK, I listened to the iTunes files with headphones on and both instances are there as with the CD. Anyone have an original release of the CD that could check to see if it is part of the recording or not? It isn't enough to ruin my experience listening to the CD but I am still curious about it.
I checked my FOTD cd (one of 1995 2CD reissues, thus original master, I believe) and I can't hear audio artifacts like those clearly audible on both songs on Spotify.

but it's still a little disconcerting that you pay for a digital service and they outright take it from you.

It's similar with the Final Frontier Itunes LP. They've discontinued the itunes lp format so it's been replaced in your itunes with the videos seperately and the original mix of the album replaced by the 2015 remaster.

It's similar with the Final Frontier Itunes LP. They've discontinued the itunes lp format so it's been replaced in your itunes with the videos seperately and the original mix of the album replaced by the 2015 remaster.
At the very least they replaced it. Mine are just gone. I've reached out to support and they were quick to respond and gave me the "you should totes read our TOS, but tell us what you lost and we'll try to restore it."

Couple of review points regarding the remasters: I was driving in my car last night down the road that the car was on. I was moving forward. Whilst doing so, I had Isle of Avalon playing from my thumb drive. All my MP3s are encoded at 320kbps, and this was of the 2015 remastered version of The Final Frontier. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I definitely heard a lot more nuance and separation in the guitars. There are tons of these little harmonic flourishes that I'd never heard before.

Later that evening, I parked my car in the driveway of my home, and extracted myself from the vehicle. Sitting at my desk, I popped on my headphones. They aren't the best for audiophile listening perhaps, but they're corsair wireless closed ear headphones and I had my EQ level and all windows "enhancements" disabled. I listened to several tracks from the Onkyo FLAC remasters, and compared them to the same remastered versions on MP3, again at 320kbps. I could not tell any difference at all.

This is my story.

So for whatever reason, I have been a minor fan of Iron Maiden since I was about 14. I am now 28. I never owned any of their studio or live albums aside from one compilation many years ago, and only really started to get into them fully about eight years ago, via Spotify etc

Anyway, I kept meaning to get around to buying their albums, but never felt like I could be asked. There are just so many! Then they announced these staggered over time rereleases, with the 2015 remastered sound I'd come to love on Spotify (they do sound better to me than my friends CDs), and I made it my goal to collect them all.

I now finally own the first twelve albums! And personally, I am gobsmacked by how great nearly all of them are. I already thought the early albums were great, but something has to be said of the difference between listening to music on a device and actually blasting the music through top quality speakers, because albums I felt little for now really blow me away! I used to dislike Somewhere In Time, I never paid much attention to the first two albums, and honestly? I never gave No Prayer For The Dying a chance. Now? I bloody love them all!

Now I have played them all, and this week added the most recent batch to my collection. I still think Fear Of The Dark and The X Factor are very poor (often downright terrible in fact), but I finally played Virtual XI all the way through and I Love It! Brave New World isn't as great as I remembered it, but I am sure that could change with more listens. But yeah, I was debating whether or not to buy Fear, Factor and XI, thinking I'd only buy BNW. But I sure am glad I did!

I love how the albums have been packaged. Sensible, nice digipaks with plastic trays, and the spines all match and make a really handsome set on my shelf.

I have many hundreds of albums, and truth be told it is a great embarrassment I never collected Maiden before. But these new releases are exactly the incentive I needed to collect them, and listening to each batch, I've chosen to listen chronologically, and live with each batch for some time before moving on to the next. It's allowed me to really grow with them, and explore their evolution closely. They definitely slid in the nineties, but I genuinely enjoy No Prayer and XI. I can't wait to get the final batch!

Finally got a chance to listen to FOTD. More bottom end and the title track sounds much less limp than it did on the original master.

Gave The X Factor a listen there, sounds great, there's a few things still an issue (low key drumming, wimpy guitar) but you can't fix that with a remaster. Bass drums sounds better, never knew Nicko's foot was so busy in Lord of the Flies before.

I just got the Powerslave digipak. I noticed that in the booklet, The Duellists is mistakenly credited to "Dickinson".

I have picked up each of these CDs several times over the last several months to take the discs out and put them back and and I just noticed that the digipaks and booklets for the first four have a dull matte finish and the next two sets of four all are glossy. Any reason why?

I have picked up each of these CDs several times over the last several months to take the discs out and put them back and and I just noticed that the digipaks and booklets for the first four have a dull matte finish and the next two sets of four all are glossy. Any reason why?
All mine are glossy, from the debut up to Brave New World.

Preordered each set of four and got them on release day. Not a big deal really, I just thought it was odd. I saw Number Of The Beast today at Wal-Mart and it was glossy.

I bought all of the remasters via Amazon here in the US and all of mine are glossy aside from Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind. I have no idea why and it's kinda weird - seems like there was some inconsistencies in the packaging for that first set.

Batch 4 incoming:dancinggeek: now Batch 5.....Live After Death etc???

Batch 5 is sort of old news (even if we don't know all the details yet), it was already on the latest fanclub magazine (about 1 month ago) and talked on the net. So it's LAD and 4 other titles to be released in the series. Place your bets and prediction of the other other 4..

Last edited:
Back