2015 Remasters on CD

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Vantage Point, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

One of the best, you mean.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I agree that a lot of X Factor’s problems are in the way it was recorded and mixed. Mastering only goes so far to fix that. I do feel like the new version sounds just slightly punchier though.

3. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Nomad

Agree quite a bit with this analysis. I personally rank the original vinyl highest for all of the first 7 except the S/T. I think the 2014 LP knocked that one out of the park. I do think the 2014 vinyls are all very close to originals except Killers and NOTB. Those 2 sucked.

Luisma likes this.
  4. Ruflux

Ruflux Ancient Mariner

You could beef up the guitars a lot with a new mix, boosting the levels and using EQ to bring out more desirable frequencies. Remastering in itself of course wouldn't really change much, true. But I don't think the album's sound guitars wise is completely unsalvageable, unlike VXI.

5. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Puissant

I agree that the production on TXF isn’t great, but a remaster can’t really fix that; a remix might. I actually think the original CD of TXF (as opposed to the 1998) sounds just fine. It is very quiet and needs to be turned up, but that’s a good thing, as the dynamics are preserved.

6. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

The X Factor wasn't remastered in 1998.

7. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Puissant

Then there were two very different masters sometime in the 1990s because I heard both and one was much quieter and more dynamic than the other. This is the one I recommend: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/47149

8. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

That's the UK vinyl pressing. The only CD master ever made available is the original; the upcoming reissue will be the second.

9. Diesel 11

I'm listening to certain songs from the 2015 remasters via YouTube and Spotify and comparing them as best as I can to the 1998 remasters and the originals. So far I don't think that there's a tremendous difference with the first four, though the guitar sound in both TNotB and PoM feels more artificial than the other versions do. Powerslave is a completely different story. I couldn't even finish "Aces High" before I went to seek out the other versions. It sounds absolutely terrible.

10. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

UK vinyl was the original format I had the album on when it was released. I don't recommend it. The dynamic range is too big. You can't hear the quiet parts at all, in particular the first verse of Look for the Truth*, so you higher up the volume, then when the heavy parts kick in you get blasted out of it.

* the first time I heard LFTT I thought there was just a big gap between FOW and the next track as the intro was literally so quiet I didn't know it was playing.

Jer and Number 6 like this.
  11. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

How can you judge anything from Youtube?

Zare, evil_ash, Luisma and 2 others like this.
  12. Diesel 11

13. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

It just occurred to me that "Sanctuary", "Twilight Zone" and "Total Eclipse" aren't available on Spotifty anymore. :oops:

14. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

Total Eclipse just vanished from my Amazon library...along with ALL the studio lps!!! I was able to re-add the lps back in again but Total Eclipse is no longer available on Amazon.

WTF?!

15. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

They replaced the entire remastered catalogue from 1998 with the 2015 one, which utilizes the original UK track listings for all records.

16. srfc

srfc Ancient Mariner

That's why physical products are better.

17. Deanatron

Deanatron Can I play with Agnes?

I've been listening to the 2015 remasters on Amazon and I think they sound great, particularly FOTD & TXF. I have release era CD's of those and was really impressed how much better the remasters sound.

Randalf and Number 6 like this.
  18. Formula409

Formula409 Invader

Overall I like the remasters, but SIT just doesn't sound right. The guitars are too loud (reminiscent of the post-reunion albums), and the sound is just all over the place. SAD. The original is one my all time favorite sounding albums.

Don't get the hate for The X-Factor at all. I admit it sounds different from most Maiden albums - the guitars are less loud, it's less "in your face", with a healthy room reverb on the drums, but I really like the sense of space on that album. It's quiet, but when it gets going (example: during the solo of Edge of Darkness) the sound is just perfect to my ears.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  19. Diesel 11

Preach. :notworthy:

20. Ruflux

Ruflux Ancient Mariner

X Factor would be much improved with better dynamics (in this case, less dynamics, funnily enough) and louder guitars. Add in some rhythm guitar overdubs to some of the harmony guitar only sections to make them sound less empty and I figure it'd be alright.