2 Minutes to Midnight

How good is 2 Minutes to Midnight on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: '2 Minutes To Midnight'

Not even a chuckle at me suggesting the country is anorexic?

But yeah, it's easy to twist words. All you do is say the real meaning is "the front, it's what they use to fool the sheep" and off you go. These guys know nothing about Iron Maiden or Bruce - Bruce is not exactly the sort of man who votes Tory and believes women should be in the kitchen still.

LooseCannon said:
Not even a chuckle at me suggesting the country is anorexic?

No, because it is true  :D. At least parts of it. In the south, you would spend ten hours driving from West to East. That's more than many European countries. However, at one point in Northern Norway, the distance from the Swedish border to the sea is only 6 kilometers. Of course, this is in the inner end of a fjord, but still ...

LooseCannon said:
But yeah, it's easy to twist words. All you do is say the real meaning is "the front, it's what they use to fool the sheep" and off you go. These guys know nothing about Iron Maiden or Bruce - Bruce is not exactly the sort of man who votes Tory and believes women should be in the kitchen still.

Bruce is not exactly the sort of man who votes Tory and believes women should be in the kitchen still.

Not true. I've never seen a picture of his wife. That's because he keeps her in the kitchen. Simple logic.

I think it's because they're quite private, but yeah. :p

Daily Song: 2 Minutes to Midnight

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: 2 Minutes to Midnight

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Not quite as good as Aces High, but still a good rocker. Political in nature, which I believe is a first for Maiden at this point. Bruce is awesome, as is H. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: 2 Minutes to Midnight

One of the most popular riffs in metal history. But solo screws it up for me...

9/10.

It's got a great riff and great lyrics, but this song just doesn't get me moving like it did before.  It's not as good as Aces High, so I'll give it an 8.

From now on I'll start rating songs compared to other Maiden songs and specifically to other songs on the album they're from.

Fourth best on the album, so 7/10. I'ts got better lyrics than Aces High, but the music isn't as good. It has also been overplayed and it just doesn't do it for me anymore. The line "As madmen play on words and make us all dance to their song, to the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun" is brilliant though.

It's quite a good song, but is overshadowed by some of the better songs off the album (this is probably also slightly overplayed as well). The instrumental section lets it down a bit. Nevertheless, a great riff, great lyrics and vocals give it an 8/10. The live version from Flight 666 definitely rocks though!

This has some of the best lyrics in the Maiden catalogue. And it's also a great rocker. I used to be all over it, and think it's one of the band's very best songs, but I have come to re-evaluate this point of view. It's great, but it's not entirely up with some others. So, 8/10.

Black_Thunder said:
One of the most popular riffs in metal history. But solo screws it up for me...

9/10.

WHAT??? I think Davey's solo is really good and H's solo is one of the better he's done. Actually, I can't think of a single guitar solo on Powerslave that I don't like. Instrumentally, the band was on fire for this album.

The song has a simple, but catchy riff, great lyrics, has proven its worth live and is a true Maiden classic by all means. It is slightly overshadowed by Aces High and the two closing songs on the album, though.

9/10.

An unforgettable riff. A biting lyric. Great melody — chorus and verse — and nailed by Bruce. Great tempo shifts. Steve and Nicko are all over the place (in a good way). Tasty solos. Perfectly placed as a bookend in the best one-two opening punch in album history. Another all-time great song. 10.

9/10  Still a great rocker despite hearing it so many time.  Poignant lyrics.  Pretty good musically too.  Especially Nicko and (I believe Murray as the main riff).

First maiden song i heard back in 2002 on grand theft auto vice city. The game helped me discover maiden when i played it back in 2008. I owe that game for introducing me to maiden (as silly as it sounds)

Great riif, solos, bass, drumming, vocals, lyrics. It lacks something though but i dont know what.

9/10

7.  I've already expressed my opinion about the album on a whole elsewhere, and personally I think this is one of Maiden's most overrated song.  The riff is good, and the lyrics are great, but it just doesn't really hold my attention and pales next to many other lesser-known gems in the catalog.

Excellent riffs and I really love how it rebuilds to come back into final verse. Once again amazing solos by Adrian and Dave. 9/10 because the verses are good but slightly flat.

The riff is one that epitomizes what is Heavy Metal the most, the lyrics are pretty clever and cryptic, but since day one it's a bit dragging, repetitive and the instrumental section after the solos hold the tension of the lyrics imagery, but I feel it could've been different. An anthem, anyway, but within the album it's the less stellar. 7.

It's over rated but fantastic live. I'll give it an 8. Like everyone has said, the lyrics are arguably the highlight. They're fantastic.

Back