2 management faults imo

Starblind

Nomad
Recently I went to Sziget Festival where Maiden, Muse and Faithless were headlining. I wanted to buy a festival tshirt but when I see the tshirt I decided not to.

Because: In the back there were the list of bands. And on the top there was Muse, with its logo which contains lines above and below the name. And it was big!

Underneath there was Maiden. And it was written in normal character not with logo. It was weird because all the other bands were written by their logo.

In 2008 Maiden was one of the headliners in this festival and they were written above respectable bands such as REM and Jamarquai. And it was by their logo.

Don't understand me wrong, it's interesting because I'm also a Muse fan. They are the best band from the 2000s and I think they are hugely inspired from Maiden.(listen to Stockholm Syndrome, Knights of Cydonia and other few...) (Also the drummer of the band said that Number of the Beast changed his life)

So I can't blame Muse or the festival promoters for this situation. Only one that I can blame is the management of Maiden. For me and I think for most of the Maiden fans no bands' name should be written above Maiden. (Ok, ok except Rolling Stones and some other jurassic bands:) )

Another "managemental" error happened in Ozzfest I think. And because of that tension caused that ridicilous "egg incident". By then how could Maiden accept to play 55 minutes and before Black Sabbath?! It must have been a co-headlining tour. One year earlier Judas Priest was in Ozzfest and they played full set and that was like co-headlining tour. But even Maiden is bigger than Priest in USA (not in 80's but in 2000's) Maiden played less and under Sabbath. (btw for me Sabbath is the biggest metal band ever)

So as a fan I wanted to speak about this subject. I'm not a fanatic, or I'm not a lunatic. But I dont want to see my heroes' name under some younglings.

Starblind said:
Recently I went to Sziget Festival where Maiden, Muse and Faithless were headlining. I wanted to buy a festival tshirt but when I see the tshirt I decided not to.

Because: In the back there were the list of bands. And on the top there was Muse, with its logo which contains lines above and below the name. And it was big!

Underneath there was Maiden. And it was written in normal character not with logo. It was weird because all the other bands were written by their logo.

In 2008 Maiden was one of the headliners in this festival and they were written above respectable bands such as REM and Jamarquai. And it was by their logo.

Don't understand me wrong, it's interesting because I'm also a Muse fan. They are the best band from the 2000s and I think they are hugely inspired from Maiden.(listen to Stockholm Syndrome, Knights of Cydonia and other few...) (Also the drummer of the band said that Number of the Beast changed his life)

So I can't blame Muse or the festival promoters for this situation. Only one that I can blame is the management of Maiden. For me and I think for most of the Maiden fans no bands' name should be written above Maiden. (Ok, ok except Rolling Stones and some other jurassic bands:) )

Another "managemental" error happened in Ozzfest I think. And because of that tension caused that ridicilous "egg incident". By then how could Maiden accept to play 55 minutes and before Black Sabbath?! It must have been a co-headlining tour. One year earlier Judas Priest was in Ozzfest and they played full set and that was like co-headlining tour. But even Maiden is bigger than Priest in USA (not in 80's but in 2000's) Maiden played less and under Sabbath. (btw for me Sabbath is the biggest metal band ever)

So as a fan I wanted to speak about this subject. I'm not a fanatic, or I'm not a lunatic. But I dont want to see my heroes' name under some younglings.

Playing the Ozzfest was an excellent move by the management. It exposed Maiden to huge American audiences, they blew everyone off the stage and their popularity has grown steadily in the US since then.

snake plissken said:
Playing the Ozzfest was an excellent move by the management. It exposed Maiden to huge American audiences, they blew everyone off the stage and their popularity has grown steadily in the US since then.

of course it is. but they comprised by accepting the 55 minutes stage time. they should have agreed on the full set like judas priest did the year before. (if ozzy wasn't ill on some dates they would play mostly 55 minutes which is a shame imo)

The Iron Maiden font is copyrighted, maybe the festival didn't want to pay for its use for shirts.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I doubt Maiden management is involved with festival t-shirt design. That's in the hands of the festival organizers.

no it's not exactly. big bands always give rules such as the size of the logo, where it should be and etc. because they must protect their trademark. i can give a lot of examples for this. have you seen ac/dc, metallica under any band's name?

lastly ac/dc did play at download festival but they didn't give their name/logo to the festival so you can't see ac/dc's name or logo on the download tshirt's. this is a very sensitive side of festivals and i think something happened at this festival, so they had to agree to be under muse but they didn't give their rights for the logo. (it's a conspiracy theory i know)

Starblind said:
of course it is. but they comprised by accepting the 55 minutes stage time. they should have agreed on the full set like judas priest did the year before. (if ozzy wasn't ill on some dates they would play mostly 55 minutes which is a shame imo)

Actually at the Indianapolis show when Ozzy said he was sick, Maiden played a full headlining set. Don't know why they didn't at other stops cause Ozzy/Sabbath cancelled out at several shows. Maybe I just got lucky and got to see the mighty Maiden headline. I can tell you this much, nobody missed fuckin Ozzy/Sabbath

With the T-shirt issue its to do with copyright i believe. With this years download all the official festival t-shirts had one band missing which was AC/DC so on the friday night it looked like Them Crooked Vultures were the main band. AC/DC only sold their own shirts at Download, and i think Maiden is the same.

Back