1981 tour dates in Germany - who was there and can confirm them?

Dr. Demonic

Prowler
When it comes to researching Maiden tour dates, the ones in Germany in the spring of 1981 are the holy grail because so much is unknown about them.

The only one I know that is confirmed both by ticket scan and fan review is May 1st (Markthalle, Hamburg).

I would very much appreciate it if any of you could confirm other dates.
Not by what you read somewhere on the web, but by your own experience or if you maybe have an old newspaper article (review).

Thank you very much (vielen Dank).

What do you think of the official Maiden site as source?
http://ironmaiden.com/tours/killer-world-tour--1981

This one is pretty good too.
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=tour02_killers/dates02_killers&lang=eng&link=tours
It has some tickets:
1981-04-09_t.jpg

1981-08-23_f.jpg

If you compare the lists, they greatly contradict each other in many ways. Picking out the German dates only, the Commentary has a number of dates in April, which aren't mentioned on the official website, and the Commentary interestingly enough mentions no venues. I remember Mav asking me about this years ago when he worked on this list, and if I could find out anything about this, and I couldn't. He was aware that there was something odd going on there. There is however one confirmed case, on this ticket - that gig is however not listed on the Maiden website. It is also one of the few on the Commentary list with venues mentioned. If you look closely however, the date has been changed on it, but that is the date on which Maiden played in Bremen, which is one of the few confirmed gigs.

Good to compare the sources we have. Maybe the official site only tried to list the gigs that happened. While the Commentary also included scheduled gigs which may not have happened. I wonder which source(s) Mav used for these April dates.

That Offenbach one is mysterious. As if it was rescheduled. You know, it may have happened and Maiden might have done Bremen on the same day. That was TV studio work wasn't it? It could have been done in the afternoon(?).

I forgot to mention that the Bremen date is confirmed (with proof) by former roadie Steve "Loopy" Newhouse:
1981-01-22 (aired on 1981-04-29)

1981-01-22 - Bremen (proof).jpg

On stage 8pm... Hard to imagine they could have done Offenbach on the same date (that was probably in the evening as well).

Impossible. Offenbach and Bremen are very far apart, it takes hours to get from one place to another, and it's inconceivable with a tour bus and crammed motorways. I doubt Maiden would have risked missing a televised gig for a rescheduled one.

I wonder which source(s) Mav used for these April dates.

We talked about this a lot back then and I remember he put a lot of work into this, comparing all lists available to him and deducing the likelihood of each gig - keep in mind that he's a scrupulous scientist. But this was about ten years ago, and I don't remember any specifics about the sources.

What do you think of the official Maiden site as source?
http://ironmaiden.com/tours/killer-world-tour--1981
The dates are those that were planned but not necessarily played actually: Iron Maiden was scheduled in Brest, Brittany (in France) on April 7th 1982 but the date was cancelled and not rescheduled. This is not what I would call a "regret": I was one year old! ;)

Judging from this, it is probable that the same has occurred for other dates.

To stop any further discussion about whether the dates on the band's website are correct or not:
The tourlists there (ALL of them) are simply a joke and anybody (like me) who ever spent a lot of time researching dates knows this.

I find it exaggerated to believe that only a few of these surely happened. Conspiracy theory!

It is simply a fact that the band's website lists a lot of shows that were definitely cancelled or took place on another day. As well as lots of errors concerning correct venues, towns, even countries. :p

A lot. What is a lot?

Just a little example (3 shows in a row from 2008, all with wrong/missing infos):

2008-03-12 - José Miguel Agrelot Coliseum, San Juan, Puerto Rico
The town is not even mentioned

2008-03-14 - Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ, USA

2008-03-16 - Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada

If I listed all errors at the band's website, I would still be typing tomorrow.........

Just look at the Brave New World tour and you'll see that all the cancelled dates of that tour are listed.

The dates on the official site are probably taken from some official list that existed at some point that may or may not correspond to what actually happened later (in regards to e.g. cancelled shows and venue changes). They're not going to bother with as much research work as hardcore fansites.

Just a little example (3 shows in a row from 2008, all with wrong/missing infos):

2008-03-12 - José Miguel Agrelot Coliseum, San Juan, Puerto Rico

2008-03-14 - Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ, USA

2008-03-16 - Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada

If I listed all errors at the band's website, I would still be typing tomorrow.........
Not mentioning towns are errors, while cities are listed? That goes pretty far.

San Juan, East Rutherford and Toronto... sounds good enough really for tourdate lists. If I want to know exactly where a venue is, I'll search it on internet.

BTW in my language we do not have a translation for the word town. Depending on the size and character of a certain place it can be translated into village or city.

Still:
It is simply a fact that the band's website lists a lot of shows that were definitely cancelled or took place on another day.
Do you have numbers? 10? Dozens? Hundreds?

Last edited:
Foro, just check the list on the Maiden website. On the dates Demonic mentioned, the names of the places (towns, cities, villages, whatever you want to call them) are not mentioned. Demonic added them in his post.

Back