❤ Dating Advice For MaidenFans Thread ❤

So I logged into my computer and hit the back button until I was on this page. It was not there. Upon refreshing my browser, it was there. Must be a cover-up going on here and I will not rest until I get to the bottom of this. <_<
You’re not alone, it just appeared for me too in Safari on iOS. I’m guessing the forum software was blocking emojis to some browsers and something was recently updated. I remember trying to use an emoji in a forum message not too long ago and it got blanked out, so maybe that’s not the case anymore?

Test: ❤️❤️

(Well, it kept the hearts and blanked the musical notes and Vulcan salutes...)

I have no advice, but I'll still peek in here to say that last 2-3 pages of this thread had been amazing:

• "Kurcem u čelo" (still makes me chuckle after 15 years)
  • Star Trek TNG reference (one of their chill-est episodes)
  • Lyric-translation game started by mods (count me in when this starts properly)
  • The mystery of (dis)appearing heart (I've read A. Christie a couple of days ago, and this one had way more suspense)

This madness is one of the reasons why I love MaidenFans forum so much.

I hope next time jokes will be translated into a civilized language as well.
There are no civilized languages, they’re all guilty of some kinds of atrocities.

German for “der, die, das, den, dam, des”.
Swiss German for removing the ß.
French for using too many letters to say one sound.
English for copying off of French.
Spanish for having so much order and yet throwing it all out the window for random words and random nouns. Also for being sexist.
Most languages for being sexist.
English for not being sexist, but they did get rid of þ which is arguably worse.
Latin American Spanish for making “vosotros” practically unnecessary.
Spanish Spanish for keeping “vosotros” just to be different.
Chinese for thinking that millions of symbols would be easier to read than a simple alphabet.
Certain Cyrillic-written languages for switching to Latin.
Czech and Polish for being clusterfucks.
Finnish for not using å more often.
English for not evolving to include ß.
Latin for not differentiating between i and j and u and v sounds.
Modern Latin for adding in those extra letters. Come on, it was more fun before!
Greek for needing both ο and ω.
Swedish for calling the basking shark “brugd”. Wtf is that supposed to mean.
The Cyrillic script for only using the multiocular O for one word in one specific circumstance in one specific language that no longer exists.
Dutch for being English / German: Sparknotes Edition.
Afrikaans for being Dutch: Sparknotes Edition.
Greek for not keeping Ξ as two conjoined z’s. Actually that’s only half bad, it still looks cool as hell.
American English for calling an “aubergine” an “eggplant”.
Australian English for calling a “pepper” by its scientific name.
British and South African English for calling “diapers” “napkins”.
Scottish English for being Scots: Sparknotes Edition.
Canadian English for being American English but nicer. :) Fuck you.
And finally English in general for not making up its fucking mind.

German for “der, die, das, den, dam, dem des”.
Greek for needing both ο and ω.

That's not the problem. Distinguishing vowel quantity in script is actually a real blessing because the vowel quantity can make an important difference. The problem is that Greek is inconsistent. It distinguishes ο from ω and ε from η, but it does not do so for α, ι and ου, despite the distinction being of occasional lexical relevance.
Modern Latin for adding in those extra letters. Come on, it was more fun before!
The Romans added new letters to the alphabet occasionally. K and Y were imported at some point in order to write foreign names. And emperor Claudius had some really funky ideas for the script, it's kind of a shame that never came to be.

And if you want to know what all this is doing in the dating advice thread, we're telling you that philologists are sexy and dateable.

Back