Rant Thread

Note to self: never say on social media you'd rather live near a wind farm than a nuclear power plant or a chemical works. (I live near all three).

People don't half get furious about it. Apparently wind power is the root of all evil and a waste of money. I'm also a hypocrite because my house will be full of chemical plant manufactured goods. Not the fertiliser They make around here though.

I need to get this off my chest as I'll feel better.

Also, I've been drinking so keep that in mind too.

I cannot believe I was overlooked for promotion within my own team. Tomorrow, I might get a promotion in another team, which is great (why does Grammarly want to correct this to excellent??), but I can't help but feel bitter about how things went down.

I gave my fucking everything for almost 2 years, more than I really needed to, and more than I was paid for. Most of the time I did it because it was the right thing to do; for example, a n00b team member asking for help because team leaders were afk or flat out ignored their messages. Sometimes I did it thinking this might get me a promotion. I would never flat-out refuse to help someone because it wouldn't benefit me, but I always thought it'd pay off in the end. I thought in the end they'd go for someone who was a team player and who cared, and who also had results. I was the top performer for most of this year alongside spending additional team training other people and helping them out after hours. And in the end, I was overlooked for a guy who never did any of that.

I don't think anyone is obliged to be a team player, but in this case, it was a choice between someone who had results and was a team player, and someone who had results but was not a team player. Pretty much everyone I talked to was telling me for months that I will definitely be promoted and that there should be no doubt about that, but I guess whoever picked this guy didn't hear that. I feel like my superiors took me for granted. All the stuff they hated doing; like answering questions and jumping on short meetings to solve problems; was done by me. As far as I fucking know, that's all they really had to do. I did it without question because I figured I'd do it in a better way than them and that other people who needed help would be better off.

And in the end, people who made the decision to promote that other guy never really knew about this because no one told them and I never thought it'd be right to brag: I HELPED THIS GUY THIS GIRL THAT GUY AND THAT ONE OVER THERE. Or, I did this project that would benefit the entire team without anyone prompting me to do it. In retrospect, I should've done it, but now it's too late.

So hopefully I will get to lead my own team soon enough, and I will try to right the wrongs my superiors did to me, meaning I'll keep track of everyone's contribution, I will encourage visibility in terms of team members' cooperation in case they want to be promoted and I will never ignore someone asking me for help. My team leader told me that he sees messages and he intentionally ignores people for hours so that they'd stop asking him for help. I think it's bull fucking shit and I will not do that. I won't be available 24/7, but if I'm not busy and I see the message/call/email, I will always answer.

Also, this probably does not make much sense without additional context but I don't really care because I'm drunk and I wanted to rant and now I feel better and can try moving on.

I need to get this off my chest as I'll feel better.

Also, I've been drinking so keep that in mind too.

I cannot believe I was overlooked for promotion within my own team. Tomorrow, I might get a promotion in another team, which is great (why does Grammarly want to correct this to excellent??), but I can't help but feel bitter about how things went down.

I gave my fucking everything for almost 2 years, more than I really needed to, and more than I was paid for. Most of the time I did it because it was the right thing to do; for example, a n00b team member asking for help because team leaders were afk or flat out ignored their messages. Sometimes I did it thinking this might get me a promotion. I would never flat-out refuse to help someone because it wouldn't benefit me, but I always thought it'd pay off in the end. I thought in the end they'd go for someone who was a team player and who cared, and who also had results. I was the top performer for most of this year alongside spending additional team training other people and helping them out after hours. And in the end, I was overlooked for a guy who never did any of that.

I don't think anyone is obliged to be a team player, but in this case, it was a choice between someone who had results and was a team player, and someone who had results but was not a team player. Pretty much everyone I talked to was telling me for months that I will definitely be promoted and that there should be no doubt about that, but I guess whoever picked this guy didn't hear that. I feel like my superiors took me for granted. All the stuff they hated doing; like answering questions and jumping on short meetings to solve problems; was done by me. As far as I fucking know, that's all they really had to do. I did it without question because I figured I'd do it in a better way than them and that other people who needed help would be better off.

And in the end, people who made the decision to promote that other guy never really knew about this because no one told them and I never thought it'd be right to brag: I HELPED THIS GUY THIS GIRL THAT GUY AND THAT ONE OVER THERE. Or, I did this project that would benefit the entire team without anyone prompting me to do it. In retrospect, I should've done it, but now it's too late.

So hopefully I will get to lead my own team soon enough, and I will try to right the wrongs my superiors did to me, meaning I'll keep track of everyone's contribution, I will encourage visibility in terms of team members' cooperation in case they want to be promoted and I will never ignore someone asking me for help. My team leader told me that he sees messages and he intentionally ignores people for hours so that they'd stop asking him for help. I think it's bull fucking shit and I will not do that. I won't be available 24/7, but if I'm not busy and I see the message/call/email, I will always answer.

Also, this probably does not make much sense without additional context but I don't really care because I'm drunk and I wanted to rant and now I feel better and can try moving on.

A big middle finger to those who previously passed you up and best of luck getting a promotion ASAP. May your drunk be a good one with little hangover.

You have the right working attitude, NP and doing even more than supposed to. Huge respect for that. If your superiors don´t see this and pick somebody else, it´s their loss. I hope you´ll be promoted anyway.

Currently feeling a similar way about work, NP. There are managers out there who can see if someone is good and will choose them.

There are also people in charge of recruitment drives or promotion exercises who only know how to identify someone who fits a stereotype or is from a similar walk of life to themselves - and sometimes they'll pick someone terrible at the job or even someone who creates discord on a team, just because they liked something about their image and looked at very little else.

If you get a promotion on another team, great, you're doing well. It might be nothing you've done wrong or neglected to do. If you can find a way of making it known how good you are, or improve on your performance, also great. But if that doesn't get you promoted fast, don't beat yourself up over it too much, because it might just be that the person who made the choice was a total doofus! There are other avenues out there and other people doing the choosing.

So I informed my current superiors of my decision to move teams and they took it relatively well. They said I was next in line for promotion after Q1, and that they wanted me to still do my current job on a smaller scale while also doing the team leader thing when that promotion happened. But that's not what I want. I want to get rid of my current job and do the team leader thing solely. They told me they promoted the other guy first because he has a longer tenure, but I think that's a bullshit way to look at it. I'm a better candidate by far. In order for me to get what I want, 3 people would need to move on from the team and that might never happen.

So they told me they will make me a counter offer and if this promotion to the other team thingy goes to shit, I am free to come back. But I don't think they can make me a worthy counteroffer. Not even money would be the game-changer. I want to be the #1 in charge and in control of my faith and the team.

Anyway, I was told by that other team that they chose me but I didn't get the salary/contract offer before the end of the day. Another night of waiting...

Fingers crossed for you. Not sure what the setup is like at your employer, but it would take months to get a contract through at anywhere I've worked :D

Also, to your unappreciative old team - screw you guys.

Have people actually got worse than ever for coming into work ill?

Bear in mind all our staff have kit to work from home now, and even if they didn't, you have to have multiple periods of sick leave before your job would be at risk.

So after sitting across from a guy last week who spent all day moaning about how bad his flu was, today I was sitting near someone with such a bad cough she was getting breathless and could hardly talk.

Our section had already been told the 40% office time requirement has been waived this week and next. Why would you insist on coming into the office to sit groaning and hacking on all your colleagues?

Do you know one expression that I hate? ‘Sharing YOUR truth’. As a teacher, I find it so annoying when I hear this expression being used. There is only one truth. It is just this modern phrase that people use to justify them sharing their experiences and palming it off as evidence of a ‘universal truth’. It really pisses me off when I hear this. Even the media used it yesterday when talking about Prince Harry’s autobiography.

Oh God. The media overkill on Prince Harry's biography is definitely worthy of a rant. So sick of having snippets I didn't want/need to know about someone's life shoved in my face and passed off as the most significant thing ever.

But yeah, I get the idea that sharing your perspective as an individual and sharing your experience of the world can be positive, encouraging the notion that everything an individual thinks/says is the 'real' truth is misleading at best and encourages very unhealthy thinking styles.

There is only one truth.

Ultimately yes, but I think that in most cases, the real truth of something is unknowable to anyone; however, that doesn't mean that a perspective or opinion deserves being called a "truth" - and viewing it that way is harmful. If your perspective is labelled a "truth", that means it is beyond questioning or reasoning. This mindset is where Karens, Flat Earthers and QAnon come from.

Back