Your Maiden blasphemy

I believe Hooks In You was the only song that Adrian Smith co-wrote for No Prayer For The Dying (correct me if I'm wrong).
The Trooper and Flight Of Icarus are your least favorite songs from Piece Of Mind? :lol: I know I said I don't like The Trooper live, but to say that you don't like the studio version as much as Sun And Steel or Quest For Fire is a really bold statement!

I believe Hooks In You was the only song that Adrian Smith co-wrote for No Prayer For The Dying (correct me if I'm wrong).
The Trooper and Flight Of Icarus are your least favorite songs from Piece Of Mind? :lol: I know I said I don't like The Trooper live, but to say that you don't like the studio version as much as Sun And Steel or Quest For Fire is a really bold statement!
I like Flight of Icarus and The Trooper but I like the other songs of POM more. The instrumental sections of both S&S and QFF are awesome.

I can completely understand why you dislike Seventh Son. It is my 4th favorite Maiden album, but it is so different from everything else and has a few synth power ballads. Also, Can I Play With Madness, The Clairvoyant, and The Evil That Men Do are very pop-sounding songs to me.

^^ this describes my view of 7th Son as a good (but not great) album.

Power chords are few and far between -- perhaps Iron Maiden's least riffing album ever

I'll let you describe why you deem that to not make sense before I respond.
You said:

Power chords are few and far between -- perhaps Iron Maiden's least riffing album ever.

I interpreted this to mean that you equate "riffing" fundamentally with the use of guitar power chords i.e. that these were linked, not just two unconnected statements. Since you didn't directly correct my assumption of what you said I assumed you accepted my basic summary of your position i.e. that power chords = riffing in your view.

I'm not making a judgement on whether your opinion of good or bad riffs is one I agree with. But as a statement of fact, using the musical terminology you've used, your statement (or my summation of it) is plainly false. Sure, lots of riffs are based around chords progressions and this might involve power chords. It equally might not. Most "riffs" as you or anyone else would describe them are just as likely to be produced by a guitarist playing single notes as they are playing power chords. Assuming, as a guitarist (or not), you understand what a power chord is; and you, additionally, don't have some absurd, unconventional, or incredibly narrow definition/understanding of what a riff is.

Iconic Maiden riffs? What about the intro to Fear of the Dark? The intro to Wasted Years? The verse of Alexander the Great? The verse of Hallowed Be Thy Name? The beginning of Run to the Hills? The verse of The Trooper? None of these involve power chords. In fact Maiden, with their harmonies (& now with three guitarists), are literally the perfect example of a band that make riffs without using power chords. The exact opposite of what you've said.

This is what I mean by not making sense.

What I think he meant is that power chords and riffs are often associated with each other but neither is so much associated with polished production and synths such as Seventh Son is known for.

However I had never given this much thought (at least not as such):
Maiden, with their harmonies (& now with three guitarists), are literally the perfect example of a band that make riffs without using power chords.
Interesting observation.

It's just a reality of what Maiden are. Even with two just guitarists Maiden always crafted songs & riffs around two complementary guitar parts & Steve's guitar/bass parts; for lots of their music. In fact when they do resort to power chords they are usually using them really unimaginatively (& I think uninterestingly), in things like verses, simply for Bruce to do his thing i.e. very functionally. Big chugging power chord riffs, or at least big memorable ones, aren't really that common in Maiden.

I always thought of power chords as more of a rhythmic thing, and riffs as more of a melodic thing. They are completely separate things (and certainly not interchangeable terms) but can often found together in stereotypical, cookie cutter-type hard rock. But not nearly so much with Maiden. Yes, it's there for all to see (and hear), I just hadn't considered it in those terms.

I also get the impression that a lot of non-guitarists don't really know what a power chord actually is, and just use the term to describe any chord played loud with overdrive or distortion, or what Steve describes as "crashing chords".

I have no idea what Steve means by "crashing" chords but power chords are an unarguable technical fact. And like most Heavy Metal, when Maiden use chords, they of course mainly use power chords.

Maiden rarely goes for the "chugga chugga chugga" chords (which is a huge plus to my ears) - and when they do (main Powerslave riff), they change up the chuggas enough to where they really don't sound like thousands of metal bands who came after them (who rely far too much on samey and un-evolving chugga progressions)

But when compared to any riffing on Powerslave, the riffs on 7th Son seem to be either recorded lower in the mix, or perhaps aren't as overdubbed (and thus aren't as "powerful sounding") as the riffs on Powerslave.

I tend to find Black Metal to be much more agreeable to my ears than Death Metal - primarily because Tremolo Picking sounds a yard and a mile more pleasant to my ears than endless chugga (djent?) riffs

Hi to all, this is my first message on this forum! These are my thoughts:

-X Factor has gained much over time, there isn't in my top 5, but really, it's a very good album.
This being said, I don't like the cover neither the production, the guitars in general are a little dark for my taste.
-I like "Quest for Fire" a lot, but I've always thought that with a few adjustments, should have been their 4th instrumental song.
The rhythm guitars, the melodies and solos are great. Of course, "Sun & Steel" is great too.
-"The Reincarnation of BB" it's awesome and Dave's solo it's one his best in last 20 years, although too much reverb and too hiding in the mix.
-"Losfer Words" and the (Adrian's) solo are awesome.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if it is an actual unpopular opinion, but I think that The Duellists would have worked better as an instrumental. The middle section is awesome, but the verses are awful.

Musically it's great. I think the story in the lyrics is also good and fits Maiden well, but the actual lyrics are a bit clumsy.

Back