Iron Maiden turns 60+

I just want the band to have a chance to control their own destiny and end on their own terms. So many rock bands end in acrimony or tragedy. It would be cool to see Maiden have a chance to "ride off into the sunset". A storybook ending to an incredible career.

Yup. And especially now, after TLOTB 2018, I'm very positive about them doing so. Another great album, an album tour with at least TBOS 2016-17 level of execution and then, perhaps one last history/legacy/hits/whatever tour with SBIT/TLOTB vibe... That would be perfect. Of course, if they'd still have more to give, I won't complain, but I guess the mentioned cycle is pretty much what we have left - if they don't end up doing another, final album right after the next album tour.

Last edited:
I think that they'll do second leg of TLOTB and then final album and final tour. It would be good way to end career, history tour as ending would be dissapointing. TLOTB part II would be great way to end their great story.

I must say that thinking about world without Iron Maiden kicking ass somewhere on tour is terrifying.

That's what I thought of Lemmy.
You were right. Lemmy lived incredibly hard and still managed to survive to the age of 70 with terminal cancer he didn't even know about until a few days before he died. Considering his lifestyle 70 was a remarkable age for him to have reached.

As Indiana Jones once said, "it's not the years, it's the mileage". Maiden, although they partied pretty hard on their first two US tours, seemed to settle down quite quickly thereafter (got it out of their systems, apparently) and started to be much more sensible. Steve and Bruce have always been very keen on keeping fit. Dave and Nicko both put on a bit of weight for a while, but then lost it again. I noticed the issue with Nicko's hands as early as 2012 but it doesn't look significantly worse now, and coming off the booze is really going to help him there. And Bruce didn't just survive cancer, he really beat it - he's hardly a shadow of his former self.

Trivial by comparison but I also love how Steve and Janick have resolutely kept their hair long, and Janick still has his earring.

I don't believe any of them, even after "retirement", intend to just lie down and wait for old age to overtake them and I love this fighting spirit - it makes me less worried about getting old myself.

Last edited:
Well, you never know. I skipped Rush's tour a while back because I didn't like the venue and figured I'd catch them the next time around...and then there was no next time.

You can be sure I'm not skipping any Maiden tours from here on out.

This is the way I'm looking at it, and have since 2012. I realistically see Maiden going another five years or so. If they go longer, god bless them, but I have come to terms that their remaining tour time is limited.

And that's why every time they come to the US now, I take a few weeks of paid vacation from work and travel to several of their concerts. I want to see them as much as I can while we still have the time.

Back