18th Studio Album discussion

Well, just because Steve is stubborn doesn't mean that we have to like it. There are genuine issues, from DOD being brick-walled, to AMOLAD being released without being mastered, to Satellite 15 being the literal demo that Adrian had produced, to SNJ's second disc having audio artifacts during solos (I think Dave's solos but I don't remember). There's more. It's not "fans being obsessed", it's holding professional musicians to standards they themselves set in the 80s.

This dismissal of genuine criticisms is just as tiring as the "moaning" about the production. Yeah, Steve likes it that way. Steve also liked producing the 90s records and we all know how that turned out. Maiden aren't our buddies, they are a band and it's valid to criticize things that are seen as issues.

I'm actually bored of hearing people moaning about the production every time Maiden release something. It’s the same complaining over and over since Dance of Death was released 21 years ago. On top of the moaning people always hope that Maiden will change the style of production for the next release. 24 years since Brave new world which was the last proper studio produced album before Steve decided to get more involved and wanting the live studio sound and still people haven’t learnt that the style of production is here to stay.
I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I can't understand why some fans keep defending production of almost all post reunion albums. It's obvious that production is far far from great. Mistakes, muddy guitar sound, 'band is playing from under the blanket' and so on, etc. It's very frustrating when your favorite band is satisfied with such underwhelming results.

I think they sound as wanted to. All their post-reunion efforts sound as being recorded in the first half of the '70s with some "live" vibe and muddy guitars 'cos 'Arry and the rest want the recordings to sound like. We may accept that or not.
We know that Bruce is a big fan of Van Der Graaf Generator and Steve a big supporter of Genesis, two big progressive rock bands of the 70's. So, that's why I agree with you when you write that except 'Brave New World' and 'Dance Of Death', the other records made by Iron Maiden are sounding like the old albums by the previous bands I've just quoted above. So, that's a conscient choice mainly made by Steve Harris and Bruce Dickinson. We have to respect it and accept it. Even if I also agree with the complaints about the sound and if I've also would like to have the 80's sound back with guitar harmonies and Martin Birch's dynamic production with another producer like Andy Sneap or Terje Refsnes, for example. Could be great. Sometimes, change is good.

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I can't understand why some fans keep defending production of almost all post reunion albums. It's obvious that production is far far from great. Mistakes, muddy guitar sound, 'band is playing from under the blanket' and so on, etc. It's very frustrating when your favorite band is satisfied with such underwhelming results.
I think the reason I’m bored of hearing it is because no amount of criticisms is ever going to change a thing. The reunion albums already released are what they are. Can’t change this and I very much doubt Steve will ever go back to these albums in the future and remix them or do anything to change the production.

If we are lucky to get an 18th album then I expect it to sound exactly like all the other reunion albums, production wise.

I can accept fair criticism of the band and I understand the production is something a lot of fans want to criticise. I guess that with Brave New World being the last album that Maiden did where the producer got a majority say before Steve started on this live studio sound he wants these criticisms have gone on for over 24 years now.

Nothing is gonna change so after 24 years of moaning I wish fans would just deal with it and move on.

I think the reason I’m bored of hearing it is because no amount of criticisms is ever going to change a thing. The reunion albums already released are what they are. Can’t change this and I very much doubt Steve will ever go back to these albums in the future and remix them or do anything to change the production.

If we are lucky to get an 18th album then I expect it to sound exactly like all the other reunion albums, production wise.

I can accept fair criticism of the band and I understand the production is something a lot of fans want to criticise. I guess that with Brave New World being the last album that Maiden did where the producer got a majority say before Steve started on this live studio sound he wants these criticisms have gone on for over 24 years now.

Nothing is gonna change so after 24 years of moaning I wish fans would just deal with it and move on.
I get your overall point, but I think it's misleading to pretend all post-BNW albums had the same approach to production.

AMOLAD and TFF are much cleaner albums as far as the individual performances go compared to TBOS and SNJ. The latter two are the more egregious examples and I'm sure many fans would be happy if a potential 18th album would get as much attention to detail as AMOLAD originally got.

I sure hope we will get a 18th studio album, but if not, we got a good last album in Senjutsu and awesome closing track Hell on Earth.

And I guess more of the same: Kevin Shirley, Paris, Eddie doing something weird on the cover, several long Harris songs and a bunch of other songs by Gers, Smith and Dickinson, possibly Murray as well.

It would be nice if they change things up a bit, like record at a different studio, different producer, some shorter songs, but I’m happy overall if we just get a new album.

The reunion albums already released are what they are. Can’t change this and I very much doubt Steve will ever go back to these albums in the future and remix them or do anything to change the production.
The 2015 remaster of Dance Of Death was an implicit acknowledgment that the original album was too muddy, since they played a ton of EQ games to try to emphasize certain instruments in the muddiest parts without doing an actual remix.

The 2015 remaster of AMOLAD didn't change the sound as much, but it did fix some of the song-to-song leveling issues present on the original. So, again, that was an implicit acknowledgment that there was room for improvement there.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, the band must realize at this point that Maiden fans are willing to rebuy albums if you do a remaster or add bonus tracks, so it actually makes financial sense for them to put out Steve's crummy first pass and then clean it up a bit for a later reissue, as long as the fan base will continue to tolerate it.

The 2015 remaster of Dance Of Death was an implicit acknowledgment that the original album was too muddy, since they played a ton of EQ games to try to emphasize certain instruments in the muddiest parts without doing an actual remix.

The 2015 remaster of AMOLAD didn't change the sound as much, but it did fix some of the song-to-song leveling issues present on the original. So, again, that was an implicit acknowledgment that there was room for improvement there.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, the band must realize at this point that Maiden fans are willing to rebuy albums if you do a remaster or add bonus tracks, so it actually makes financial sense for them to put out Steve's crummy first pass and then clean it up a bit for a later reissue, as long as the fan base will continue to tolerate it.
Fair comment. I didn’t know the 2015 remaster changed as much as what you mentioned.

I’ve got it but I’ve never listened to it. Bought more as I was collecting the 2015 remasters in vinyl than to actually listen to it as I have the original CD and vinyl. My go to when listening to dance of death has actually been the DVD audio version as I find that to sound fantastic on my set up.

It's not just fans, it's frequently also Adrian Smith, who deals with it because he knows where his bread is buttered, but he's obviously not happy about it.
This is an interesting read although I think there are some wrong conclusions being drawn from the OP and some comments. Ever since hearing Senjutsu I've had the strong suspicion that somewhere in the process (anytime between finishing the album initially and it sitting in the vault) some songs may have been remixed. Writing On the Wall, Days of Future Past, and even Stratego are among the best Maiden has sounded in the Shirley era. Meanwhile the title track and Lost in a Lost world sound almost as bad as The X Factor. Either that or Adrian has gotten more of a say in production choices on the last two albums. I've also noticed that Adrian significantly changed his writing style on the last two albums. No more big proggy epics and instead we've gotten more immediate up tempo rockers in the vein of the 80s. Not sure if that's a response to production as well but I could certainly see him trying to write songs that better fit Maiden's production style rather than more prog rock epics in the vein of Starblind that are going to sound rough in a Maiden studio situation.

Where I disagree with some of the conclusions drawn from Adrian's comments is the degree to which he wants Maiden to go more produced. I don't think Kevin Shirley is a hack and I don't think Adrian believes that either, especially considering Kevin Shirley mixed the Smith/Kotzen album. And to that end, if you listen to Adrian's recent solo projects (of which admittedly there aren't many), they are not the most polished products out there either. I hear more reverbs on the guitar and more vocal polish primarily, but it's not a far cry from the way Maiden's albums sound. Additionally Adrian clearly sees Brave New World and The Book of Souls as high water marks for the band sonically even though they're still in the same production style. In a lot of ways I think it could be as simple as Adrian just not liking the way his guitars and Bruce sounded on Final Frontier. After all, Kevin Shirley did say he was "95% happy" and the sticking point seems to be largely around the amount of reverb. It might not be as severe as how the fans feel.

People in here are talking about Andy Sneap sounding albums even though the new Priest albums are produced to extremes that Maiden never went to even in their most produced 80s albums. The layers of guitars, the drums, vocal parts that could never be pulled off live, that's never how Maiden made their albums. And even in the 80s Priest was more produced than Maiden.

This is an interesting read although I think there are some wrong conclusions being drawn from the OP and some comments. Ever since hearing Senjutsu I've had the strong suspicion that somewhere in the process (anytime between finishing the album initially and it sitting in the vault) some songs may have been remixed. Writing On the Wall, Days of Future Past, and even Stratego are among the best Maiden has sounded in the Shirley era. Meanwhile the title track and Lost in a Lost world sound almost as bad as The X Factor. Either that or Adrian has gotten more of a say in production choices on the last two albums. I've also noticed that Adrian significantly changed his writing style on the last two albums. No more big proggy epics and instead we've gotten more immediate up tempo rockers in the vein of the 80s. Not sure if that's a response to production as well but I could certainly see him trying to write songs that better fit Maiden's production style rather than more prog rock epics in the vein of Starblind that are going to sound rough in a Maiden studio situation.

Where I disagree with some of the conclusions drawn from Adrian's comments is the degree to which he wants Maiden to go more produced. I don't think Kevin Shirley is a hack and I don't think Adrian believes that either, especially considering Kevin Shirley mixed the Smith/Kotzen album. And to that end, if you listen to Adrian's recent solo projects (of which admittedly there aren't many), they are not the most polished products out there either. I hear more reverbs on the guitar and more vocal polish primarily, but it's not a far cry from the way Maiden's albums sound. Additionally Adrian clearly sees Brave New World and The Book of Souls as high water marks for the band sonically even though they're still in the same production style. In a lot of ways I think it could be as simple as Adrian just not liking the way his guitars and Bruce sounded on Final Frontier. After all, Kevin Shirley did say he was "95% happy" and the sticking point seems to be largely around the amount of reverb. It might not be as severe as how the fans feel.

People in here are talking about Andy Sneap sounding albums even though the new Priest albums are produced to extremes that Maiden never went to even in their most produced 80s albums. The layers of guitars, the drums, vocal parts that could never be pulled off live, that's never how Maiden made their albums. And even in the 80s Priest was more produced than Maiden.
I consider Judas Priest an "overproduced" band, especially since they released the Screaming for Vengeance album. They often sound like one big metallic machine playing heavy metal with dehumanized, polished, and supercharged sound. I've always preferred how Black Sabbath or Maiden sounded for being more natural and organic. I know it's just my own opinion but that's what I find these things.

Priest is over-produced compared to Maiden, but Maiden have done plenty of similar things throughout their career. The amount of guitar over dubs on some Powerslave and SSOASS songs are impossible live. Plenty of vocal harmonies (the choruses of Flight Of Icarus, Powerslave, Out Of The Silent Planet, Gates Of Tomorrow) that can't be replicated in the same way live either.

Bruce just CONFIRMED a Maiden album for 2026 in a interview with Brazilian media.
Source?

Here is the Google Translate version of his interview with UOL, posted last night in their website:

"I'm going to be quite busy for the next 2 or 3 years. I have the comic book to work on, which is a considerable job, as I write the script and every three months we have a new episode. Obviously, I'm on tour until the end of this year and next, and already thinking about more solo tours. And there will also be a big Iron Maiden tour in 2026 and another album, so there won't be a shortage of work."

And there will also be a big Iron Maiden tour in 2026 and another album

5TQl18.gif

Here is the Google Translate version of his interview with UOL, posted last night in their website:

"I'm going to be quite busy for the next 2 or 3 years. I have the comic book to work on, which is a considerable job, as I write the script and every three months we have a new episode. Obviously, I'm on tour until the end of this year and next, and already thinking about more solo tours. And there will also be a big Iron Maiden tour in 2026 and another album, so there won't be a shortage of work."

THX, great news!

Back