18th Studio Album discussion

I would surprised if we get another album. It is clear that they are in the latter stages of their career. Although a more album would be nice, I think touring is the priority now. Part of me also likes the thought of Hell on Earth being their final song.

Still, I won’t complain if another album drops.
I tend to agree. I think Bruce firing up his solo career again is, pardon the pun, the writing on the wall. Certain members of Maiden might be ready to end it, whether that's Dave, Nicko, or whoever, and Bruce isn't ready to stop completely. My best guess would be a couple years of the anniversary tour, and if we're lucky, Steve makes good on his notion of some post-retirement albums.

I say this, of course, and next week it'll leak that Maiden are booking a studio sometime in the next 12 months. You can't win. :lol:

This is news to me? For SJ, this would have been possible with the 3rd leg of the Legacy tour.
Yes, it has been all but confirmed I think that Maiden intended to play WOTW on Legacy 2020 leg before the album release, so that would have qualified as a greatest hits run of touring ahead of the album release. No way to know for sure with Book of Souls, but it seems like they had intended to do a North American run in the vein of TFF 2010/Give Me Ed 2003 before Bruce’s cancer.
Nostalgia tour for only 1 year? Unlikely.
I agree, which is why I don’t expect them to record an album next year.

These flaws are called being lazy. I think I understand you, but rationalizing Maiden's lazy approach to sound to save a few cents / due to Harris' lack of competence / Kevin's lack of assertiveness by calling properly recorded albums 'generic' is, in my opinion, an insult to those artists who try to do something for fans, such as, for example, to record a good-sounding album.
This statement couldn’t be further from the truth in my opinion.

Maiden in no way are being lazy with their approach to sound and most definitely are not trying to save any money.

Kevin Shirley is a top producer and I’ve loved some of the albums he has produced for other bands/artists. The situation with Maiden is that Steve wants more hands on with the producer as he wants each Maiden record to capture the bands Live feeling. Basically modern Maiden albums are live albums recorded in a studio with no audience.

If Kevin Shirley was allowed to produce on his own and call the shots the albums would sound massively different. Brave new world is an example of when he was allowed to do his job without Steve getting so involved.

I would also bet Kevin is paid exactly what he would normally be paid regardless of Steve’s involvement and I guarantee his fee is way more than the likes of Andy Sneap.

Maiden albums are produced to the exact standard the band, or more specifically Steve wants. Back in the early days the band would have listened and bowed to the producer a lot more but at this stage in their career they’ve earned the right to call the shots in the studio and do what they like and it’s not lazy and it’s not penny pinching.

Kevin Shirley is a top producer and I’ve loved some of the albums he has produced for other bands/artists. The situation with Maiden is that Steve wants more hands on with the producer as he wants each Maiden record to capture the bands Live feeling. Basically modern Maiden albums are live albums recorded in a studio with no audience.

If Kevin Shirley was allowed to produce on his own and call the shots the albums would sound massively different. Brave new world is an example of when he was allowed to do his job without Steve getting so involved.

I would also bet Kevin is paid exactly what he would normally be paid regardless of Steve’s involvement and I guarantee his fee is way more than the likes of Andy Sneap.

Fully agreed on Kevin’s quality.
I’m a Joe Bonamassa fan, whose records are also produced by Shirley and the production is tip top.

@Ascendingthethrone There will be 2 more albums at least.

Assuming there's another album I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was a Steve swansong with maybe a couple of token Bruce tracks.

A few thoughts... unlike several comments above, I dont think the next tour will be a hits tour. In fact, I think Future Past is enough of a throwback tour that the next move will be a new album.

Second, it does all rest with Steve. My expectation is that we actually get something a bit different this time round. Not sure what it is, but I don't think it will be a third 'double-album-eddie-on-a-black-cover' template.

We've had The Burning (2020), Smith/Kotzen (2021), Mandrake Project (2024). My gut tells me that even if they all go back into 'maiden mode', there's enough happening musically elsewhere that a few different influences might start seeping through.

To me, Murray and Smith composing Maiden with a blues influence ... Harris with a 70s hard rock feel ... Dickinson with a more occult feel ... there are some directions to head in that aren't only Harris epics + Harris stitches Gers ideas together + Smith/Dickinson short tunes. I do think there's something else to come.

But if not, I'd also consider Hell on Earth a fitting coda to their studio career.

A few thoughts... unlike several comments above, I dont think the next tour will be a hits tour. In fact, I think Future Past is enough of a throwback tour that the next move will be a new album.
Second, it does all rest with Steve. My expectation is that we actually get something a bit different this time round. Not sure what it is, but I don't think it will be a third 'double-album-eddie-on-a-black-cover' template.
We've had The Burning (2020), Smith/Kotzen (2021), Mandrake Project (2024). My gut tells me that even if they all go back into 'maiden mode', there's enough happening musically elsewhere that a few different influences might start seeping through.
To me, Murray and Smith composing Maiden with a blues influence ... Harris with a 70s hard rock feel ... Dickinson with a more occult feel ... there are some directions to head in that aren't only Harris epics + Harris stitches Gers ideas together + Smith/Dickinson short tunes. I do think there's something else to come.
For this to happen, the new album must already be recorded (when?) and they have to release it early next year, which is atypical of Maiden's habits.

Spot on about something a bit different (I certainly hope so for the cover), but at the same time they will just want to write a pure Maiden album methinks. With a few songs solely written by Steve, that's certain. They've been trying ''different stuff'' on every album since 2003, so I think we can expect something from Adrian/Bruce or Dave! I'm curious if they'll be adventurous with some songs like they were for SJ. After the song ''Writing On The Wall'' they can allow that. More keys, heavy rock, heavier approach... the one thing I don't expect is more shorter songs than longer ones. But for style-wise and ideas anything is possible, why not. They have the talent. I want to know with what they will follow up such a rich, interesting and great album like SJ & Steve's epics. That's a challenge.

I'd really love for Maiden to shake things up a bit for their last album, work with a new producer, rehearse the songs more, give things a bit more time and reflection and try to give us the absolute best swan song they can.

If retirement really is looming then they know this is most likely the last album (I doubt Steve's "we'll stop playing live and just be a studio band" idea will pan out)

Unfortunately I'm sure they're just going to follow the same pattern they have for the last few albums. I'm sure there'll be some great stuff on it, and I'll like the album overall. But I'd really like for their last record to be one of their absolute best,and I don't think the same old same old routine is the way to go about that.

They're just a bit too comfortable at this point, I think they need to intentionally change SOMETHING, a new producer most likely (nothing against Kevin) or a new mindset.

I'd really love for Maiden to shake things up a bit for their last album, work with a new producer, rehearse the songs more, give things a bit more time and reflection and try to give us the absolute best swan song they can.

If retirement really is looming then they know this is most likely the last album (I doubt Steve's "we'll stop playing live and just be a studio band" idea will pan out)

Unfortunately I'm sure they're just going to follow the same pattern they have for the last few albums. I'm sure there'll be some great stuff on it, and I'll like the album overall. But I'd really like for their last record to be one of their absolute best,and I don't think the same old same old routine is the way to go about that.

They're just a bit too comfortable at this point, I think they need to intentionally change SOMETHING, a new producer most likely (nothing against Kevin) or a new mindset.
Perhaps keep Kevin but go back to the traditional method of recording instead of doing it live?

The "cleanest" song on SJ was TWOTW which was also the only track not recorded live. I think returning to this method is going to be necessary given the age of the band and the amount of mistakes (looking at you Nicko) on the last couple of albums.

So, keep it similar to previous albums but tighten it up a bit.

give things a bit more time and reflection
They allow themselves 3 months so it's kind of tricky, but I understand you. For the first time in the latest album I think they could have done ''more'' for a few songs, some decisions.
I doubt Steve's "we'll stop playing live and just be a studio band" idea will pan out
Who knows, that would be so unexpected for a band like Maiden.
They won't change the live approach in the studio. It's always been odd, but it fits the band (they can do it, although it worked best until the AMOLAD album) and the overall pattern and writing style works for them imo. And what means too comfortable at this point? Like every other band. They can change something in the writing approach and structure of the songs and that will be enough. Mindset?
Perhaps keep Kevin but go back to the traditional method of recording instead of doing it live?
The "cleanest" song on SJ was TWOTW which was also the only track not recorded live. I think returning to this method is going to be necessary given the age of the band and the amount of mistakes (looking at you Nicko) on the last couple of albums.
So, keep it similar to previous albums but tighten it up a bit.
True about Writing, but most of the songs were recorded in sections. I guess that could work and make the sound a bit more polished, I can't believe how some songs on SJ sound different from the rest of the album.? Maiden's sound needs to be more powerful. We all want them to change something in it because it's not cool to have muddy vocals or parts again and again(especially nowadays), the title track of the latest album is an example of that. It's almost like NPFTD's production.

This statement couldn’t be further from the truth in my opinion.

Maiden in no way are being lazy with their approach to sound and most definitely are not trying to save any money.

Maiden albums are produced to the exact standard the band, or more specifically Steve wants. Back in the early days the band would have listened and bowed to the producer a lot more but at this stage in their career they’ve earned the right to call the shots in the studio and do what they like and it’s not lazy and it’s not penny pinching.
Imagine that Stephen King is releasing book with all typos, without rewrites etc. Because at this stage of career he has right to call the shoots instead of bowing to redactors.

Imo, even without typos, latest King's outputs are far cry from his golden years.
He did amazing 180. Once he was great with horror and meh with character development etc. Now i like his character driven parts of new books more than horror.

Either way I think that:
a) there is very small chance for new album
b) Bruce solo career indicate that Maiden is more or less done and Bruce, since he is quite creative one, needs something to blow creative steam off
c) if there will be new album it will be recorded in fastest way possible. There is no chance in hell that we will get something well produced.
d) But if this will give us one more Bruce and/or Adrian album - i'm fine with that.

I feel like people saying Future Past is enough a throwback tour either haven’t seen the tour or I caught a rare exception myself. Crowd response last year compared to any Legacy show was night and day with the audience response being fairly muted for much of the ‘23 set. Very tepid reaction to Senjutsu songs and I would say SIT material was 50/50. Compared to Legacy which was high energy pretty much constantly except FTGGOG and Senjutsu songs when those were added. I think by 2025 the management and promoters will see Maiden as long overdue for a hits tour.

Imagine that Stephen King is releasing book with all typos, without rewrites etc. Because at this stage of career he has right to call the shoots instead of bowing to redactors.
That comparison is nonsense.

I keep hearing people say that theirs loads of mistakes in the last few albums and I honestly I don’t hear many. I think some fans are bit too obsessed and analyse things in far too much minute detail.

As I said, recent albums are basically live albums recorded in a studio without a crowd, it’s that simple. If there’s a few tiny mistakes then it’s the same mistakes that you’d hear on a live album.

We can debate this forever but ultimately Steve wants a studio live sound and that’s it. He’s not gonna do any sort of about turn and if they do make another album I’m expecting it to be produced exactly the same as the last few albums.

I’m actually bored of hearing people moaning about the production every time Maiden release something. It’s the same complaining over and over since Dance of Death was released 21 years ago. On top of the moaning people always hope that Maiden will change the style of production for the next release. 24 years since Brave new world which was the last proper studio produced album before Steve decided to get more involved and wanting the live studio sound and still people haven’t learnt that the style of production is here to stay.

Back