Bruce Dickinson

Listening to the song right now and Bruce's voice on Shadow of the Gods does sound very much like it did back on the Tyranny of Souls era.
Very TOS, yep.
It's pretty sad that the worst thing about a vocalist's solo album are the vocals.
For me it's the best, although he should have done more takes on some songs. I still like his voice. The worst is the non-existent solos and melodies, by far.
The album certainly doesn't bleed together (in the way that Skunkworks and TOS do).
I agree to some extent.
but I think for a Bruce Dickinson solo album released while he's still in Maiden I would prefer this sort of eclectic mix of songs.
The situation was definitely different in 2005.
I think the album is a grower and like that you can hear a little bit of each Dickinson "era" so to speak. Some Skunkworks, some Chemical Wedding, even some Tattooed Millionaire...
We don't have a pure TCW song.
It's a more remarkable album than Tyranny of Souls
I can't agree, even with the more varied songs.
Back then he said the song was called Nightmares, no idea if that's a working title of something that ended up on the album but it also seems like there was a lot of material that was left off as well... but I think it's more likely the referenced song just didn't make the album.
I think Bruce would have noted if it was used on the album. Wounds sounds closest to me.
I wish there was more of that heavy part in Shadow of the Gods on the whole album.
Me too.
I LOVE Fingers in the Wounds. That song is exactly what I was hoping for this album to be. Kinda miss a proper solo but I learned to live with that.
Wounds and Shadow for me. Then, Mistress and Many Doors.
There'S so much potential.
I think even if they spend more time on the songs, the result and the approach won't be that different.
The re-imagining of older material and reinserting unused material and recordings is actually a pretty cool project and far more interesting than a simple remaster or remix. Let's just hope that Roy actually delivers a good project and something very different sounding form TMP's production.
This. I doubt about the production though.
I think this depends on how busy Maiden is in the next 2 years. And from what we know so far, it seems like 2025 will be quite busy.
I agree. But it should be in a few years time max, for Bruce to properly continue and build his solo career again.
Honestly, I don't understand Bruce and Iron Maiden's approach to recording lately. Leaving mistakes or gluing songs together from vocals recorded 15 years apart looks (and is) lazy. I'm not saying in any way that TMP is a bad album, but it has a lot of small elements that would take a few minutes to improve and that would have a big impact on the final reception.
Nailed it.

Last edited:
A few more listens, first 7 songs are decent/good, but the last 3 are rubbish. Face in the Mirror is a decent b-side at best, Shadow of the Gods is ok when it shifts gear but the bulk is poor, and Sonata is like if Maiden put Pass the Jam as the centrepiece of an album.

Don't feel as strongly about Mirror and Shadow this morning, but Sonata is still pretty poor, the ad libbed stock phrases like "shadow of the valley of death" and snippets of Atomic Kitten (!) and the key lyric being lifted from Joy Division, that should have all been approached like "ok, there's something good here, but let's edit it and write the 'real' lyrics before we put this on an album"

Don't feel as strongly about Mirror and Shadow this morning, but Sonata is still pretty poor, the ad libbed stock phrases like "shadow of the valley of death" and snippets of Atomic Kitten (!) and the key lyric being lifted from Joy Division, that should have all been approached like "ok, there's something good here, but let's edit it and write the 'real' lyrics before we put this on an album"

The promotion was totally misleading. I was expecting profound statements, a "feminist manifesto" (or an attempt at one :D).
I didn't have the impression that I was the only one who had taken it all in that way. How strange.

Face in the Mirror is an OK ballad, but Bruce has done this type of song much better in the past.

Shadow of the Gods is really good and makes me long for that aborted Halford/Tate/Dickinson album.

You are absolutely right about Sonata. A turd that should have stayed in the drawer of “curiosities that might be released as a B-side in the next century”.

My turn now after I have listened to the album about ten times.

Afterglow: 7
Many Doors: 8
Rain on the Graves: 8
Resurrection Men: 6
Fingers: 6
Eternity: 6
Mistress: 7
Mirror: 6
Shadow: 8
Sonata: 4

I quite like the first three tracks but it goes downhill for me.

Eternity feels superfluous here. Sonata is dire.

Very average album with a few forgettable tracks.

Last edited:
Mandrake Project is tough. I feel like every time I listen to it I like it, and I feel like I should like it more as a whole, there are great individual songs and parts, but overall it feels a little disjointed. I sadly think it's in sixth place right now, but maybe it could climb a little when I've been sitting on it for a few more months. Except for 1 Chemical, 2 Skunkworks, and 7 Tattooed, the rest of the places are very close to each other!

1: The Chemical Wedding
2: Skunkworks
3: Tyranny Of Souls
4: Balls To Picasso
5: Accident Of Birth
6: The Mandrake Project
7: Tattooed Millionaire

Can anyone with any firm understanding of drumming confirm if there is in fact a real human playing drums on this album? Of all the sonic choices made for the base musical part of this album I think the drums have it the worst. Why do they sound super boomy like an electric kit or something? Sure I guess it's modern and whatnot, but I don't think it sounds natural at all.

Look, I have issues with the production of the most recent Maiden albums as well and they are far from perfect, but they do capture a band playing music together in a room playing songs that were constructed together. Mandrake Project seems more assembled than truly developed if that makes any sense.

And while I'd love another Bruce album, it took 19 years to complete this one so I'd be in a believe it when I see it when it comes to anything else. Don't we have like 43 comics to get through before then? :p

Back