Bruce Dickinson

My hot take after listening to the official stream once:

This is an unexpectedly varied theatrical hard rock album, with a lot of 70s influence and B-list horror movie vibes. While it sounds quite different from his past solo work on the whole, it probably shares the most musical DNA with Tyranny Of Souls and Tattooed Millionaire of all things, with maybe a dash of Balls To Picasso.

This is a vocal-driven record where the guitars largely take a back seat, and there are a lot of memorable vocal melodies on offer. Keyboards are more prominent on a number of tracks, but usually to good effect.

I need to listen some more to let it sink in, but in the end I’m guessing this will land about dead center in Bruce’s discography in terms of overall quality. I definitely like it, but we’ll have to see if love blossoms or not.

First listen through was not terribly positive.

Second listen is a little better but the different vocals are really jarring and I'm just not vibing with this at all yet.

Hope more listens will change my mind.

Gave it a few listens after midnight. Will listen again some more. First impressions, I quite like it. Shadow of the Gods and Finger in the Wounds really stood out. Rain, while I don't think is bad as some here do, is definitely the weakest song on the album. Overall I'm pretty pleased. It's not TCW2 and I wasn't expecting it to be but I think it's damn good. Listened to it with headphones and it sounded just fine to me, glad I didn't go for a poor quality leaked version.

Good album. It's nowhere close to TCW and AoB, but it has the potential to reach #3 for me, surpassing Tyranny of Souls. It is not there yet, but it has the potential.

Shadow of the Gods really is amazing.
Many Doors to Hell very good.
Mistress of Mercy and Resurrection Men are good surprises.
Even Fingers in the Wounds is ok.

What's bad about the album? Well, as some have pointed out, it does sound like a bit of a mess, sometimes. Too much experimental stuff, vocals from 20 years ago and then vocals from months ago and this kind of stuff. Eternity Has Failed isn't bad, but the lack of proper drumming makes me nervous sometimes. Nicko is missed. Maiden's version is much better.

Also, I cannot digest Sonata for now. Too much quiet parts, too much spoken parts. It kinda makes me bored at the moment.

Overall, though, good album. Oh, and I think it sounds better on spotify now if compared to the leak.

Official release didn't improve sound quality of the album much, imo. Loud parts of the songs are muddy and messy; Bruce's voice is drowned in the mix. My perception/appreciation of this album is ruined because of the bad production. Roy, wtf. :facepalm:
Best songs: Shadow of the Gods, Sonata, Face in the Mirror, Many Doors To Hell, Rain on the Graves. Mistress of Mercy has the best/clearest production sound?
1. TCW
2. AOB
3. TOS
4. TMP

Out of the weeds & into the mind: The Mandrake Project Review

Disclaimer: Its the first time I've ever written such a long review so it might feel a bit rushed. But if time permits will work on honing my writing skills.

I’ve been on to The Mandrake Project since last week like white on rice. The album I would describe as fast-paced, heavily experimental but at the same time melodic. Bruce & Roy Z have certainly tested the limits of their experimental keenness on this album & it is something that can be heard throughout. For those expecting Accident of Birth, The Chemical Wedding or Tyranny of Souls, this album is a completely different animal that is the spawn of some alien life-form somewhere in this universe . While there are shoutouts to some of the songs from the older albums, The Mandrake Project as a whole still feels very Un-Bruce like. Running almost as long as The Chemical Wedding, the album certainly doesn’t feel like an hour long & is fast-paced. Ongoing themes on the album are end of the world, revival of the dead & love, not a very common combination one would see in a Heavy Metal album but this is Bruce Dickinson for you & he can do whatever he fancies (except on Arry’s watch ).

So let’s break this down song by song & delve a wee bit deeper into each track that makes the Mandrake Project more than just another ordinary album.

P.S. My ratings here might differ slightly from what I posted earlier on as I’m still learning the album.

Track 1: Afterglow of Ragnarok – 7/10

END OF THE WORLD & HOPE
best define the theme of this track. On the first listen, I was first of all taken aback by the way Bruce sounded (not production-wise). Given that this song was recorded in 2023, I got to admit that his voice has never sounded better. The slow, starting riff, while dark picks up in a matter of seconds & we are welcome into Dickinsons world of heaviness. A mid-tempo track with dark & dramatic lyrics is what Ragnarok is in a nutshell. A catchy verse which abruptly transitions into a slow, dark pre-chorus which then leads into the drama-filled chorus. While this shift seems abrupt & a haphazard, Bruce is a story-teller with a taste for drama. He tries to tell his tale in his own way which may not sit comfortably with many fans. This is where I realized that one would need to see the world from his vision, how he visualizes story-telling, no matter how eccentric (he enjoys hanging out in graveyards so…. ). The spoken parts do to an extent add to the feeling of the song while unnecessary. Then we go into a bit of a prog build up to a solo which is rather short & rushed through. The final closer with the thrashy “Afterglow of Ragnarok” chants certainly don’t do much justice to the song but are a “necessary evil” to add to the feel of the closing bits of the track.

Track 2: Many Doors to Hell – 8.5/10

ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE, ANYOONE????
The starting riff transports us back into the classic intro of the legendary Scorpions song Rock you like a hurricane. Opening into a slow-mid tempo verse section accompanied by the amazing keyboard sounds, we are introduced to Bruce’s story about a vampire who no longer wants eternal life & just wants to call it quits with his cursed life. Lyrically, I’d say one of the best songs on the album as it describes the loathe a vampire feels about immortality, really well. Again we are led to a pre-chorus here after the first verse where we can hear Bruce hitting some high registers, reflecting the cry of the vampire. The “dual Bruce” sound in the chorus certainly adds to the feel of the song accompanied by the overall catchy melody. The second verse follows with keyboards being a wee bit prominent & further adds to the whole vampiric feel. The melodic mid-section post the chorus along with Bruce’s cries certainly adds to the feels & then we’re back to the intro, leading us into the final round of the “dual Bruce” chorus accompanied by a short solo in the background, ending with Bruce’s cry which certainly sounds terrifying almost as though you heard a vampire cry out loud.

Track 3: Rain on the Graves – 6/10

THERE’S RAIN ON THE GRAAAAAAVESSSS.
As excited as I was when I saw the promo video for the song, I have to admit that I was crestfallen on hearing this song. The first verse which is again spoken, transported me back to Sweeney Todd given the entire gothic nature of the song setting. It certainly felt like a musical, that could be used as a soundtrack in a movie. The spoken-word chorus leads us to the heavily repetitive chorus which forces us to see that there’s rain on the graves. Just when we expected a more innovative chorus, you get repetitions instead. The song follows suit with the second verse & the repetitive chorus, but wait!!! We finally have a more tangible guitar solo on this one. Played by Chris Declerq, this is certainly a melodic chorus, ending with a mild shred (almost like Z’s) & probably the only memorable part of the track. Back again to the spoken verse one last time ending with the repetitive chorus with some raspy, sinister Bruce laugh, the song ends on a fading note.

Track 4: Resurrection Men – 7.5/10

MY NAME IS LAZARUS & I RAISE THE DEAD.
The classic wild west meets latin America like intro on this one, certainly gets one to look forward to the rest of the track. Leading into a mid-paced tempo, cowboy like vibe, we’re treated to some sinister sounding guitar melodies hinting at something possibly going to go wrong during the resurrection therapy. We’re welcome to Bruce’s agonizing vocals on the first verse, totally trying to crush his vocal chords with that high- register delivery. Going into the chorus, again another catchy chorus where he’s “advertising” the abilities of Prof. Lazarus. Post the first chorus we move into a very doom-metal like section, accompanied by slower & heavier drums & menacing sounding guitars melodies. Bruce returns here takes on the role of sounding guitars melodies (almost like an OST to a Zombie Apocalypse film). Bruce’s vocals here further talk about Prof. Lazarus & how he raises the dead. This section of the song certainly adds to the whole resurrection feel & envisioned me to think of a lone gun-slinger (Prof. Lazarus in this case). While a solo would have certainly done justice to the track, there are none here & again we return to the mid-paced tempo from the beginning. While the song does have place-holder for being amongst the more experimental tracks on the album, I think a guitar solo & a longer, more doomy mid-section would have made the song a lot more interesting. It does certainly feel a little rushed but could have been one of the top tracks on the album.

Track 5: Fingers in the Wounds – 7/10

PRAY THAT HE’S GOD!!
While the intro reminded me of “Only for the Weak” by Inflames, the song does take on a more subtle & melodic approach. This 3.5 minute banger while slow-paced does stick to the mind as does every other track on the album (except Rain).The mid-section again heavily experimented on with the whole Arabic/Middle-Eastern feel certainly adds to the feel of the track. The quieter “Over & over” part felt again rather abrupt & a rapid change in musical pattern & not something I am a fan of. Maybe a guitar solo in the background of the mid-section could have potentially made the section a lot better & more catchier. But all in all a decent but an experimental filler on the album.

Track 6: Eternity has Failed – 7.5/10

I AM FORMED OF THE DEAD.
Oops was that on the Maiden version?! My bad (). Well I see what Bruce did here just replacing a couple of instruments here & there on the intro section but his voice sounds exactly as it did for the Maiden version. A slow & heavy verse to manifest the Dickinson heaviness into the song. Interesting guitar solo while production-wise did feel too high pitched (as if a human were screeching). Then we turn to a keyboard solo which is very Stratovarius type & unexpected but it does certainly add to the feel of the track. The final verse accompanied by choir in the background honestly sounded okay but the song could have done with out it. And the closing line of Necropolis where he only identifies himself as Necropolis could have been dropped or replaced with something better (the Maiden version still rocks). Compared to the Maiden version, I’d say I prefer the Maiden version due to it being more fast & better drums of course).

Track 7: Mistress of Mercy – 8.5/10

ANOTHER WORLD, ANOTHER LIFE.
Freak & Headwitch were the first songs to come to my head on hearing this the first time. Albeit sounding like Freak, I liked it far more than freak due to lack of repetitions & a catchier chorus. While a fast paced track, guitars are a lot thicker here & heavier too. Drums sound the best on this track. I think the best & most melodic chorus here giving you the feeling of happiness, joy & things working out the way they should be. Did get “Summer Song by Joe Satriani” feels during the build up to the solo & then Roy returns with a ripping but a short solo. The final chorus with Roy’s background lead is probably the best part of the song & really feels like a “kickass scene” from a superhero film. Ending with the choirs again was not required as it took away the whole sci-fi vibe the song had for me. Loved the close though as it sounded very robotic & mechanical.

Track 8: Face in the Mirror – 7/10

Not to comment much here. A basic acoustic ballad about drinking & how it can do you in. Nothing particularly catchy here but again acts as a filler to lead to the final two titans of the album.

Track 9: Shadow of the Gods – 9/10

WORLD OF THE DEAD!!
A beautiful & melodic start to the track. Not going to lie but this gave me Poets of the Fall vibes with the piano & everything & did not feel like a traditional Bruce track at all. Drama & darkness filled this song for some reason reminded me of Lord of Light by Maiden not for the melody, but for the overall dark & gloomy mood. It all flows well till the heavy guitars start filling in & make you rock to the melody. Yes this was super catchy & fits the mood of the track. The part I disliked the most was the “world of the dead”. Like we could do without it. It ruined the melody for me & hence the rating for the song. I’d have rather had that filled with a guitar solo (Similar to Dread & the Fugitive Mind by Megadeth) as I think it would have really setup well for the transition to the slow, dramatic outro of the song. A top track for me overall with the potential for a lot more.

Track 10: Sonata (Immortal Beloved) – 9.5/10

FOR LOVE WILL TEAR YOU APART.
Say what you must about this song, call it a mess or haphazard but this track is a n emotion & drama filled piece of beauty. Never did we think we’d get such a vehement sequel to Accident of Birth’s, Taking the Queen. How to turn a fairytale into an emotional & teary love song? Maybe Bruce has the answer to it & he has answered it in the form of Sonata. A song written back in 1998 & staying in the wraps for 26 years has finally gotten out of its cocoon & has grown to be one hell of an emotional butterfly The mechanical drums at the start don’t have a Metal feel to them but certainly accompany the quiet guitar intro. Won’t deny but felt this had a very pop-like feel to it. Bruce crying out “Save me now’ in that low register really reflects on the muted & speechless like feeling on the entire track that sets the mood for it given the Queen is dying. Moving to my favorite part on the album, the second half really felt like the queen had ascended into heaven looking down upon her king, who mourns her death & is torn apart by being madly in love with her. The spoken word by the angel of death, mocking the king at his loss further adds to the misery of the loss of your soulmate. Ending the song on a 2 minute long guitar solo & a melodic one that too was the icing on the cake. The guitars felt far more sad & gave the impression of hopelessness the king felt at the loss of his queen & he not being able to save her. Overall, an experimental behemoth that won’t disappoint if melody & prog are the things one would seek.

Overall while the album still lags TCW, TOS & AOB, its definitely a grower & an album I would come back to time & again. This is but a reminder of the creative & experimental prowess of Bruce Dickinson & an album for the more open-minded folks.

Production-wise: 6.5/10.
Reasons: Muffled vocals on many tracks & over-produced drums.

Album Rating: 7.75/10
Top 3 tracks: Sonata (Immortal beloved), Shadow of the Gods, Mistress of Mercy

CHEERS!!!

I am also honestly really surprised at how much straining there is all over this album. I kinda figured that was a symptom of Harris "good enough" approach, but this is an album where 100% of the vocal lines were in the hands of the singer and it's still happening which is bizarre.

Bruce's mid and lower range are still really great (see Sonata) so I kinda wish he'd just stay in those registers more often that are clearly easier for him to manage on record and live.

After one initial listen, some thoughts:

- I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the album. It has a lot of issues, but overall I liked it more than expected.
- Ragnarok has grown on me a ton. Good tune, other than the terrible shrieky pre-choruses.
- Speaking of shrieky pre-choruses, there's like 4-5 songs with them on the album. This style of singing sucks and is easily my least favorite aspect of Bruce's voice.
- Call me crazy, but I think the weakest thing about the record is actually Bruce's performance. Some of his choices feel like improvisation that is not always entirely on key. Some of his timing feels off, like he's behind the beat or jumping the beat (we've seen this on recent Maiden tours, too).
- Roy Z surprised me again. Good stuff from him.
- Resurrection Men has some of the coolest music on the whole album and some of Bruce's worst singing. Pity.
- I think Bruce's version of Eternity eclipses Maiden's version. It's less repetitive, the guitars are more interesting, and the weird keyboard is fun, too.
- Shadow of the Gods is awesome.
- The only song I actively disliked was Face In The Mirror. Not because it's actively bad, it's just such a nothing tune.
- Sonata sure is interesting. I don't think I love it, but it's interesting. Though Bruce is definitely off key in some of his warblings.

Overall, I'd say a solid B- on first listen? More interesting than Tyranny of Souls, at least.

Official videos (similar to Maiden's for SJ) on Bruce's channel for the other 8 songs with AOR single cover with different colors.

The comments are pretty positive from what I've read. Btw, I'm not surprised which are the songs with the most views so far.

tmp videos.png

Official videos (similar to Maiden's for SJ) on Bruce's channel for the other 8 songs with AOR single cover with different colors.

The comments are pretty positive from what I've read. Btw, I'm not surprised which are the songs with the most views so far.

View attachment 34577
Kerrang already gave it a 4/5. I bet the critics are gonna give this album a good rating.

My review:

Afterglow Of Ragnarok -> it works as an opener and is representative of the album. The heavy and mystical intro is awesome and the main melodic ''galloping-ish'' riff is great (one of Roy's best imo). The verses are strong, the high pre-chorus is very effective (one of my favorite parts of the song), and the chorus is memorable, catchy and melodic. Bruce could have done such verses and dramatic pre-chorus in a TCW song. The spoken part is not needed imo, while the heavy bridge riff after it is cool. The solo is weak. The repeated pre-chorus as a bridge #2 works great, but the song could have had a short melodic interlude there. I like the outro vocals with the voice effect a lot and it could have been repeated more (Bruce could have used them for a post-chorus or actual chorus as well). The mystical 2nd outro with sounds is a kind of a nice touch. The drumming on this song is good. Overall, a memorable song with strong and memoreable parts that works as a single combining both heavy and melodic. 8/10

Many Doors To Hell
-> great, catchy and anthemic short rocker that every album needs. It's classic Bruce/Roy with hard rock vibe. Cool and familiar intro, good verses, even better high pre-chorus and great and very catchy chorus (its longer variant too). Roy's slow and classic sounding solo is so good. Bruce's vocals on top surprisingly work great. This part has an awesome feel to it. A long high note and the intro again is the best they could come up with for the next part of the song. The outro with the guitar licks and Bruce's vocals is also great and fitting. Bruce should have re-record the long high note though and the song could have had a short melodic interlude (ofc), but one of my favorites for sure. Traditional classic anthem. 10/10

Rain On The Graves
-> this song fits the overall style and atmosphere of the album quite well. Its biggest strenght is the catchy, fun and theatrical approach. The heavy riff is cool, while the verses are not bad and are really fun. I really like the keys during certain parts of the song. The most 70's sounding song on the album. The pre-chorus is basically a melody with keys, but it works strangely. The chorus is simple but really catchy. The solo is good, melodic and with a memorable approach (the double solo works). Bruce's laughs are a nice and fitting addition. The ending of the song with the slightly different feel of the chorus is not bad, but it's not that good either. I don't think a melodic interlude was needed for it. The rock style of the song is presented quite well. Something very different for Bruce and very fun. Because of this - 7/10

Resurrection Men
-> this is a totally unfinished song, which is a shame because the potential is there. The most BTP-esque song on the album and needs a few listens. I kind of can't understand the purpose of the song, it feels directionless. The different parts in it are made ''more effective'' in other songs on the album for me. The overall groove is so good though. The intro is cool and unique, the chugging riff is even better and the chorus is very catchy. Bruce's vocals in the verses are more dramatic than ever, and while it's not his best performance, I like them. The middle heavy part is classic, good, cool and memorable idea, but because there are other parts missing from the song, the transition feels weird. The acoustic part after it to serve as a calm bridge is yet another nice idea, but again it feels as if Bruce didn't know what to do with the song. It's not the strongest, but I like the ending of it with the vocals that Bruce used. This song should have been 1-2 minutes longer. The catchy parts save it. 7/10

Fingers In The Wounds
-> I love this song. One of my favorites. It has a Nightwish vibe, which I like a lot. The powerful symphonic intro is so cool. The verses are pure gold! Along with the piano, one of my favorite Bruce deliveries. The chorus is great, powerful, effective and memorable. The Arabic middle part is a big and uxpected surprise, but it's cool and moving, I admit. Roy should have done a 1-minute long Egyptian solo. A missed opportunity. Bruce's oriental vocals afterwards (with the guitar licks and keys underneath) is a very cool idea. The outro is classic Bruce (with strange keys). I wanted a solo ofc, but still. 10/10

Eternity Has Failed
-> I prefer this song to be a bonus to the album, but I didn't think it could be improved. Wow! One of the album's highlights for sure. And it would have shined even more if it wasn't a Maiden song first. The performances can't be compared with Maiden's version ofc, but Bruce's vocals are not that different. Both intros are cool, but Maiden's gallop during the verses is missed here (it sounds empty). Roy's riffy and heavy appraoch is great, but for very short. Idk how, but I find the chorus more effective than Maiden's one and I love the added lyrics. The changed lyrics for the song work great for me too. The instrumental section is a big highlight. Power metal vibe. One of my favorite solos of Roy. It's the longest on the album! His classic style, some Dave vibe, some Janick vibe, a bit of Adrian's ''more wild'' vibe. The keyboard solo is a bit odd for the song, but cool. Melodic riffs, solos, melodies/harmonies and licks unite perfectly awesome. The tribal sound of Maden's version is lost though, maybe because of the drumming. The chorus with the ''oh-oh'' backing vocals this time after it is a brilliant idea. The ending is very good, the 1-line outro is odd, but the flute and marching drums are cool. Eteeeernity haas faileeeed!!! 10/10

Mistress Of Mercy
-> straight out of AOB, an improved version of ''Freak''! This is what the opener for this album should have been. The heavy bass-driven intro is awesome. The main riff is typcial but cool. Good verses, pre-chorus (Bruce could have done better with it) and the chorus is really catchy (big Skunkworks vibe). The instrumental part with the melody is cool ofc (very Maiden) and we get to hear more of the heavy riff. Roy's solo is very short (sad) and typical for him. The chorus with a guitar melody under it for the ending is even better. The drumming on this song is good. I really like the strange and wild long outro with guitar licks, keys and drumming (it's unique and at least it's a different part). Another great short rocker. 9/10

Face In The Mirror
-> a straightforward ballad. I like that the singing starts right away. Bruce's voice is so good in this song. Beautiful verses and effective and memorable chorus melody. The acoustic and piano parts work well together, as expected. Bruce's acoustic solo is not bad, it's nice and soulful. The high ''oh-ohs'' backing vocals are a good idea for the latter part of the song to go along with the chorus. Bruce loves ''Navigate The Seas Of The Sun'' and I can see he was going for a similar approach with this song. A really beautiful song with dark (and not some of Bruce's best) lyrics. The song shines in its own way. 9/10

Shadow Of The Gods
-> the most interesting song on the album. A mini prog epic. One of Bruce's best songs for me. And one that needs more repetition. I'll get to that. The intro with the piano and Bruce's soft vocals is so beautiful. Pure joy. After the previous song, it felt long after the first listen, but it's a great and perfect build-up for this song with a special feel. The intro and a bit after that are basically the song's verses. The orchestration is a great touch. Given Bruce's vocals, one of his best intros for me. And now, the chorus - I can listen to it forever. One of the best and most impactful choruses Bruce has ever written! It should have been repeated at least two more times during the song. The bridge is so theatrical and so fitting. It is presented quite well (the whole album has a unifying theatrical vibe). Then comes the classic metal! Another part of the song that I like a lot. The riff, the vocals, the thrash-y parts (reminiscent Halford solo) are all very memorable. The song and the album really needed a part like that. We should have had a solo right after it... another wasted opportunity. At least it has a a very emotional (but short) melody that reminds of stuff from TCW. The ending of the song is also good (the high note!). Overall, I really like that the song combines soft, high, heavy and melodic appraoch to everything. That's the key. Because there is no solo - 9/10

Sonata (Immortal Beloved)
-> special album closer! A very different and specific song with classical approach from Bruce (he loves it for sure). I didn't expect to like this song so much. This is acutally a song that could fit in all of Bruce's previous albums (without the debut). Amazing. It's slow for 10 minutes, but Bruce saved it with his vocal ideas. One of his most theatrical pieces, if not the most. I like such strange vibes on a song. The keys help a lot and are one of the stars here. The main keys/guitar melody is haunting. The verses are with a weird sounding approach, but in a good way. They involve you along with the great dreamy vibe. I really like the chorus. It sounds like an early 2000's chorus, very melancholic and Bruce delivered with the vocal melody. Btw, I don't have a problem with his one-time vocals. The spoken parts really bring the theatrical appraoch and I love Bruce's high and dramatic vocals plus the sounds with the keys. So good, just what the song needed in the middle. The higher chorus is as good as the original more calm one. Adding more high vocal parts afterwards is a great idea. Bruce really owns this song. This a story, a fairy tale, told through the vocals in a song. Each subsequent singing part is better and effective. Roy's guitar licks really add to the emotion. The ''Love will tear you apart'' lines are really effective. Roy's solo is longer and great. Adrian vibe indeed. The outro is strange, nice and beautiful sounding. Roy's solo could have been even longer, there could have been more guitar licks or melodies for a 10-minute song, but I really didn't expect something as good as this. Brilliant. Such songs that bring so much emotion are always special for me. Bruce made the right decision by including it on the album. What a song, what a joureny. Wow... 10/10

Bruce still has a lot to say. Very different album for him and a 70's album in feel that combines all of his solo albums in a way (AOB meets BTP plus TOS/Skunkworks). I think it's a very good album, a special album because of the ideas and execution and one that gets better with each listen (although Bruce and Roy kept it not complicated for most of the songs), but it should (and could) have been even stronger.

I'm sure it will be one of my favorite albums, mostly because of Bruce's vocals and ideas - which really saved it. But it's really hard for me to rank it because there aren't many instrumental parts or solos(!), or at all - and that's a big disappointment. Like Nightwish's latest release, but it's not surprising for their style. Roy and Bruce (although he delivered for me) are lazy. I can't explain it any other way. This is not an album 10 years in the making. It seems Roy is not interested or care anymore, unless it's a stylistic choice of Bruce. I didn't expected that and can't believe really, you have 1 guitarist and you didn't use him? The previous album only has 1 song without a solo, this one has 3 without a solo and 2 with ridiculous short ones. Not to mention melodic interludes, only 4 songs have more or less. I can accept everything (weak writing, different style, weird approach, bad production), but I really hate songs to feel unfinished! And it's not like they didn't have time. Especially since Roy's solo section on ''Eternity Has Failed'' is a big highlight and his other solos and riffs/ideas are good, ofc.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the vocal ideas & performances and the interesting and different ideas/vibe/style of the album. I will always want traditional and heavy metal from them though.

Bruce had the cover of the album when it was called IESF - ''I even had the cover for the album. Like a Marvel comic, the colours and ambience''!

Similar to this one I guess:
iesf.jpg

Other curios bits:

Bruce about TOS album - ''It’s got some beautiful songs on it, but we didn’t have a band, we didn’t tour it, we put it out and that was it.''

Bruce about Roy - ''He’s just a magical human being, in terms of connecting technique and emotion together.''

Apparently eternity has failed. God it’s so good to hear a different take on this song. I dig it. ‘We are building a bridge so you people can live ‘cause eternity has failed’. Love it!
I liked this version as well. Parts of it I wish they did in the Maiden version. (Fan of the Maiden version, too)

Back