Metallica

Well, like with each album they've been releasing since the Black, I always try to give it a full listen, then get back to it song by song but as years go by the same feeling remains...it's not plain bad, it's just that most of the times I almost forget I'm listening to it because, well, because while it isn't bad, it is just so average that I fail to catch a moment where I'll be like "whaouhhh, what a great riff, what a great melody, what a great guitar solo, I want to listen to it again".

When albums were shorter that didn't bug me as much but with their last albums, each and every song is soooo long that after two or three songs I have to take a break because I'm just bored. But I think the main point here is that there is not a single song that I want to listen to more than once, its just average stuff. Some will pretend its great because its Metallica...well I tried to do it as well with their last albums and "failed" and I think this one is gonna to end the same way...if I happen to come across to some of these songs I won't skip itt but I won't be trying to listen to it at all costs like "oh this one's so cool, so great, I'll put it directly in one of my favorite playlists cuz I want to listen to it over and over again".

Just finished my first listen and I can see a kernel of truth in all the comments I've read so far. The new album is very much in the same vein as Hardwired, but with a little more harmony, a little less catchiness, and a heaping dollop of Load in the sauce. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to get a fuller picture, but it certainly seems better than Reload and St. Anger to me, and probably not quite as good as Death Magnetic or Hardwired.

Also, Kirk sucks, and he's sucked ever since he officially married his wah pedal circa 1991. It sounds like he just improvises his way through each solo and keeps the first take. Embarrassing.

Yeah, I haven't listened to it yet either. I will at some stage, but all these comments are pretty much exactly what I expected to feel while listening to the album... to the point that I feel like I don't actually need to listen to it.

The new album is very much in the same vein as Hardwired

Oh, that's bad.

but with a little more harmony

That's good!

a little less catchiness

That's bad.

and a heaping dollop of Load in the sauce.

That's good!

That's exactly what he does.
No, he actually improvises a handful of takes with the guidance of a certain L. Ulrich who prefers the wah-wah wankery and boring pentatonic runs (oh yeah and from the Death Magnetic making of, he apparently does not like it when Kirk goes up high in the fretboard which is fucking asinine) who then with the assistance of the producer pieces together solos from all the improv takes Kirk's provided them.

Kirk's live improvisations are actually better, not good by any measure, but clearly not as hopeless as the studio versions so if you forced him to think about the solos and locked Lars out of the room, I'm confident he could still produce passable solos.

---

I don't like 72 Seasons very much. The singles are all alright (SS being the worst) and the last three songs are genuinely pretty good but that's about it. None of the others left me with much of an impression other than my ears hurting from that fucking hi-hat.

Kirk's live improvisations are actually better, not good by any measure, but clearly not as hopeless as the studio versions so if you forced him to think about the solos and locked Lars out of the room, I'm confident he could still produce passable solos.
But he's not going to think about his solos and he doesn't to think about them. He wants to "feel them existing in the oneness of being connected with, and literally being, every single human on the planet."

Back