Best Song Contest- Round 3, Part 3- The Grand Final!

Sign of the Cross easily for me. I listen to it every day and often spend my evenings watching fan filmed footage of Blaze belting it out on his tours. It's as addictive as heavily buttered toast

It seems SOTC is much more favored than The Clansman...This time we have the next match from the 90s. The winner will compete with SOTC.

Still in round 2: No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross, Ghost of the Navigator, Dance of Death, Paschendale, For the Greater Good of God, The Talisman, The Book of Souls, Hell on Earth

Already in round 3: Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Fear of the Dark...a timeless classic. The only regular song that I never get bored of hearing live on every concert. Deserves to be in the setlist forever.

Both songs are pretty good, but nothing more. "No Prayer For The Dying" has those weird bird tweet synths and husky vocals that border on self-parody in places, while "Fear Of The Dark" has dopey lyrics and that brain-dead intro music that gets revisited later in the track, and the song as a whole is horribly overplayed for how unspectacular it is.

Hmm, I guess at the moment I feel like "Fear Of The Dark" is the slightly more successful song.

I really like both of these songs. No prayer is the better album by far but Fear of the Dark delivers in a big surprise with this one fantastic song.
Both of these songs should easily destroy SOTC in a head to head, but for some weird reason many people perceive No prayer as a bad album (can't for the life of me work out why) and there is a sizable group who insist X Factor is a great album (can't for the life of me work out why).

My vote goes to Fear of the dark.

These are the best songs on their respective albums imo. No Prayer is one of the band's best songs from the 90's (a true gem!), but Fear is a Top 10 song for me. The intros, melodies, instrumentals, riffs, solos, choruses and drumming are perfect in both songs.

Reactions: Eli
Both of these songs should easily destroy SOTC in a head to head, but for some weird reason many people perceive No prayer as a bad album (can't for the life of me work out why) and there is a sizable group who insist X Factor is a great album (can't for the life of me work out why).
NPFTD is not a bad album by any means, it's just that Maiden's discography is amazing. Try to concentrate on the music in TXF album - many fans are missing out just because they don't like Blaze's vocals. The album is full of great songs. And how a Maiden fan thinks Sign Of The Cross is not a strong song is beyond me.

Reactions: Eli
NPFTD is not a bad album by any means, it's just that Maiden's discography is amazing. Try to concentrate on the music in TXF album - many fans are missing out just because they don't like Blaze's vocals. The album is full of great songs. And how a Maiden fan thinks Sign Of The Cross is not a strong song is beyond me.
We are all of course entitled to our own opinions, and of course with songs we love it can be staggering how others don't love them and songs we don't love, it can be staggering how others love them. I'm in both situations.

I think with Sign of the Cross, my biggest issue isn't Blaze's voice. I find the drums really hard to listen to, really jarring slap slap slap. And I get really annoyed with the stark volume difference, I keep having to twiddle with my knob. Bruce sings much better of course, he is much more nuanced and varies things more. But Blaze is certainly a good singer (within his range). There is also another aspect of X Factor which I haven't mentioned before, that I don't like. The songs don't seem to flow well. I guess I don't really have the words for it, so its hard for me to articulate, but it feels like the songs were written by a drummer, and the musical passages don't flow. There are many stagger stop start parts. Sorry, I don't know how to explain it better.

Although I stand by my point that I think Fear of the Dark is a better song live than it is on the album and that it's a tad overplayed since it's release I have to go with Fear of the Dark as my choice.

I like No Prayer for the Dying. The guitar part in te beginning is really good and I like the lyrics but after the"soft" lyrics I always lose it. It doesn't manage to entertain me after that.

It's no suprise that FOTD won easily vs NPFTD, and now time has come to select the song of the 90s. The winner will be the 2nd song to go to round 3.

Still in round 2: Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross, Ghost of the Navigator, Dance of Death, Paschendale, For the Greater Good of God, The Talisman, The Book of Souls, Hell on Earth

Already in round 3: Rime of the Ancient Mariner

I think they are both great songs but I love Fear of the Dark more. It has a better production quality and Bruce on vocals.

Back