Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

In a way it makes sense to me and in a way it doesn't, but trying to really make sense of all this is just making my head spin and giving me a headache so in the future, I'm going to try and avoid getting involved in topics like this and let the rest of you chat about it. But thanks just the same for trying to explain it.

Hmmmm, I do wonder however, as a Christian what Nicko McBrain would say about all this.

Well, I don’t think that’s morally wrong for someone to be blown up and killed. That’s the natural result of being blown up. But I believe that it is morally wrong for a person to intentionally blow someone else up and kill them. Now, God may be above reality, but he is also allegedly the reason we have morals. Therefore, assuming that God isn’t above his own morals, if he blows someone up and kills them, then he is morally in the wrong. Since God can never be morally wrong since he’s God, then he would never blow someone up. Therefore God takes a somewhat hands-off approach to running the universe and that seems kind of weak to me. However, if he IS above his own morals, and will blow up a person just because, then he is not deserving of being God, he’s a sadistic monster.

Frankly neither of these pictures of “God” are ones I would want to worship. One of them is like an uncle you rarely see, and the other is a psychopath who rules through fear. This is the issue I have with even believing a god exists at all.
Well again, I just don't think we're in position to pass moral judgement on God, because we know our system of morality isn't the same as God's and he's definitely not governed by morals the same way we are (which was the point of my previous reply). Now  why we have different systems, despite inheriting our morals from God's? I don't know, I'm not a theologian. But I don't think it matters, whether this difference can be deduced by logic or if we have the swallow the "cuz he's God" pill.

Anyways, I don't think you should let God's nature affect whether you believe he exists or not. Though I know it's easier said than done.

Because people who do believe it regularly try to subvert the first amendment’s guarantee of separation of church and state by trying to pass laws that support their religious beliefs, usually altering the language just enough to have it not be explicitly religious, though its intent is clear.

And these people try to get others who share their beliefs installed in positions of power throughout the government, including places like the Supreme Court, so they can impose their religious beliefs through the judiciary as well as the legislative and executive branches.

And some of these people even want to make foreign policy decisions based on long-term religious goals (e.g. what might bring about the rapture faster), rather than doing what would be best for people in the real world. It tends to be a problem when people think that physical reality is a passing fad with the “true” reality only coming after death, as it gives them license to do some pretty outrageous things in the physical world.

Just look at how the Fox News people light up on the topic of Muslims trying to bring about Sharia law, while they’re fully supportive of Christians trying to do a 100% equivalent thing of their own. Why does my money say “In God We Trust” on it? Why was god inserted into the pledge of allegiance after the fact? Why do my tax dollars pay the salaries of military chaplains? Why is there a national prayer breakfast? All of this shit arguably violates the first amendment and should have been struck down by now, but the theist mob is running the show, so I’ll get a heaping dose of religion with my civics and I guess I’m just supposed to shut up and accept it.

Does that make it more clear?
It's a little bit different here (UK) - I think Christian fundamentalism is MUCH more powerful and prevalent in the US - but yeah, religion, and in particular C of E, is wrapped up with society, culture and the state.

A small example, but if you're a sworn in as a juror in court, it's a default that you'd swear on the Bible, unless you requested another religious book or a script that's been devised for atheists.

The monarch is head of the Church of England, too.

Reactions: Jer
It's a little bit different here (UK) - I think Christian fundamentalism is MUCH more powerful and prevalent in the US - but yeah, religion, and in particular C of E, is wrapped up with society, culture and the state.

A small example, but if you're a sworn in as a juror in court, it's a default that you'd swear on the Bible, unless you requested another religious book or a script that's been devised for atheists.

The monarch is head of the Church of England, too.
Made me think of this classic clip from CNN:

Well again, I just don't think we're in position to pass moral judgement on God, because we know our system of morality isn't the same as God's and he's definitely not governed by morals the same way we are (which was the point of my previous reply). Now  why we have different systems, despite inheriting our morals from God's? I don't know, I'm not a theologian. But I don't think it matters, whether this difference can be deduced by logic or if we have the swallow the "cuz he's God" pill.
If we have to abide by a different set of rules than God does, that makes him a dick, and I will not worship a dick even if he is real.

Anyways, I don't think you should let God's nature affect whether you believe he exists or not. Though I know it's easier said than done.
There are plenty of other reasons why I don’t believe. This is just a small one.

I just found out Neurosis's Times of Grace has a companion piece and they're meant to be played simultaneously. "Grace" by Tribes of Neurot.

If we have to abide by a different set of rules than God does, that makes him a dick, and I will not worship a dick even if he is real.

In a village at the feet of mount Olympos during carnival there's a "bouncer" that gives people a big fake phallus and everyone should kiss it in order to enter in the celebration.
Everything is about phallus. Quite Dionysiac.

I see what you mean. In the end one gets institutionalised inside. Having built ecosystems, friendships, enemies. Been outside of the world for a year and then just like that one gets back in again.
So many stories, so many up and downs and sharing and just like that all those people "inside" you never gonna see again.

I felt good when I exited the gate, but it took me time to recover and be again normal.

Back