Bathory

Listening through Bathory's first six albums again, I'm struck by what a remarkable band this is. A one-man project which essentially created a new subgenre of music of music with each release between 1984-1991, and an eternal source of inspiration.

I'm particularly hooked on 'Twilight of the Gods' at the moment. Any other fans here?

My admiration for Twilight of the Gods is huge and it's easily one of the top 10 Metal Albums, all genres included. I also admire Quorthon and I agree he is very inspiring.

I don't listen the prior to Hammerheart albums though.

My admiration for Twilight of the Gods is huge and it's easily one of the top 10 Metal Albums, all genres included. I also admire Quorthon and I agree he is very inspiring.

I don't listen the prior to Hammerheart albums though.

Are you a fan of the 'Nordland' albums? It seems strange to think that they will be two decades old this year.

I remember in the few years that followed his passing, rumours abounded that a vast trove of unreleased treasures sat in the Black Mark archives. Then the '..In Memory of Quorthon' albums were released in 2006, containing no new material. Now that label owner/producer/father Boss Forsberg has died too, it seems that this compilation is the final word on a fascinating discography (although an in-depth book is apparently on the way).

I like everything after Hammerheart and of course Nordland I & II.
Just Twilight of the Gods, is a different league, with all the rest and with most of Metal releases though the years. It talks directly into my heart this album.

I remember in the few years that followed his passing, rumours abounded that a vast trove of unreleased treasures sat in the Black Mark archives. Then the '..In Memory of Quorthon' albums were released in 2006, containing no new material. Now that label owner/producer/father Boss Forsberg has died too, it seems that this compilation is the final word on a fascinating discography (although an in-depth book is apparently on the way).

In the case of Quorthon, release of new material isn't really necessary imo. He is such an inspiring person, his legacy will be living for years to come, seeding infinite dreams and inspiring new artists. To me, he's in par up there with Lemmy, Ronnie James Dio & Bill Tsamis (Warlord) to name some of my Metal "saints".

EDIT: Listening to Bathory all day as I work now. Dark outside, a city in silence. His hypnotic riffs deliver magic to my room, awesome. Thanks for that!

I really love Bathory and Quorthon. The first six are all classics, and I also love Blood on ice and Nordland albums (partially). And the two solo albums are good to.

There is alot of unreleased material somewhere in Sweden. At least some songs recorded between 1984-1986, a other black metal album before Blood fire death, another epic album recorded in the early 90’s, Nordland III and a third solo album. Hopefully his sister release them to the public one day

Blood On Ice is quite good. I've been listening to the debut album a lot recently. Pure evil!

Back