Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • H

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • e

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Was that an intentional 'Adrian Smith' reference?

Otherwise I'd go for B. I do a lot with B.

The best string on a string instrument is the A string on an electric bass. That means a .085 roundwound string. Not light-gauge nonsense because your hands are too weak for the fat wires. Not chickenshit flatwounds because your precious fingertips can't handle the metal. A real bassist knows how to get his hands shredded and still rock.

While we're on the subject of how to identify a real bassist:

Real bassists pluck the strings with their fingers. Picks are for poseurs. When the zombie apocalypse happens, Zombie Cliff Burton is going to eat all the pick-users' brains.

Real bassists play an instrument with 4 strings tuned EADG. People who use 5-string basses don't want to make music, they just want to rumble. Seismic events don't qualify as bass lines. Nor is de-tuning of any value, unless you're trying to hide your bad playing below the threshold of human hearing. Unless you've cut off half your fingers like Tony Iommi, de-tuning is for weaklings.

Real bassists wear it slung low, hanging over the hips or even thighs. People wearing a bass up on their chest need a firm kick in the nuts they have unwisely left exposed. Once your band plays a real rock bar, the kind that greets Eagles or CSNY cover songs with a storm of flying beer bottles, you'll learn to cover up and play more ZZ Top and you'll like it, by gum.

So, you guitarists go ahead with your silly favorite-string stuff. Next time you botch your solo, the bassist will save your band with a kickin' groove, like we always do. You're welcome. :cool:

There used to be different B's: "b rotundum" for Bb, and "b quadratum" for B natural. The "b quadratum" looks a lot like "h" (and similar to a natural sign, which originates from there as well).
Scandinavian countries also say H instead of B, right?

Used to. Maybe some old teachers still do (especially in classical) but I've been taught B. It varies, but in popular music you'll probably find it rare.

Used to. Maybe some old teachers still do (especially in classical) but I've been taught B. It varies, but in popular music you'll probably find it rare.
Thanks for the reply, interesting! Many German non-classical or “converted“ musicians also say B instead of H, especially guitarists. Which creates a lot of confusion. And if rehearsals are in English, H becomes B as well. But B instead of H will never become the norm, not least because of the H-Moll-Messe (B minor mass).

Well, that was educational :lol:

Still a tie between H/B and low E. Anyone care to break the tie?

Ye know, many times I would have said B, no problem. It has a plaintive quality that speaks the the autumn of my soul but, well, its spring and that means fun times and riffs and shit. Low E.

Back