Ghost

Given it a few listens. Pretty good, not sure if it's "first single" quality, definitely needs a stronger hook.

Although saying that I don't know how bands market things these days? Do you hold on to the "hit single" until the album is just about to be released?

Definitely a more Infestissumam vibe. I do like it, but I think it's a hint derivative of their earlier works. But that's okay, because I don't really think of Ghost as a massive creative force. I just want them to be fun without turning into full blown pop.

I just want them to be fun without turning into full blown pop.
This. Kiss the Goat was silliness, not an album track. Hunter's Moon was just OK, and evidently that will be on the new album. But Call Me Little Sunshine is, despite its title, heavier than the recent singles, which gives hope that there is truth to the rumors (don't ask me for cites, I don't remember, I just recall hearing) that the new album will generally be heavier and less pop than Prequelle.

There's a longer version which is better.
Memo to Steve Harris and the Iron Maiden camp generally:
Yes yes yes yes yes! See? Proof of concept! If you really really think your songs need soft, atmospheric intros, and you obviously do, fine fine whatever, but this shows that it's OK if if the intro is only 15-20 seconds long! In fact it's better! Your intros don't have to be 1-2 minutes long!!!

Every single song on Senjutsu is at least 25x better than “Call Me Little Sunshine”. And frankly the pop direction on Prequelle was way more interesting for me than “heavier” Ghost.

In my book, Prequelle is their best album. You can call it pop, whatever. It's melodic and cohesive. And - Maiden take a note - production on that album is great. If new album will be a step back, I may be disappointed.

Prequelle is perfect: sound and songs.
I really don´t mind the pop influences, songs are wellcrafted.
Killer artwork too, although it doesn´t fit the music. I became interested in Ghost after hearing the catchy Square Hammer.

I think Prequelle is their worst album (i mean, it's still a great album) but I far prefer Meliora. So far Hunter's Moon and the Little Sunshine song are pretty good. I'd like to hear some more shit like He Is or Mummy Dust.

Just to be clear, when I say "worst" I mean it's like an 8-9/10 instead of a 10/10. I like their first three albums a lot. I also love the 60s vibe on Seven Inches of Satanic Panic.

Ghost does some really good cover songs. Check out It's a Sin (Petshop Boys cover) and Here Comes the Sun (Some indie group called the Beatles). Good songs.

Yes, It´s A Sin was perfect for them! They stayed close to the original, far better than Gamma Ray´s attempt too.

They played new song yesterday

Notice, how Tobias changed his stage appearance (Prequelle tour including) Pope's robe no more. Too limiting. Also, bandmembers wearing first world war soldier gasmask? Band's Lore horizon is widening.
EDIT: He wears Pope's robe on some other songs.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I'm not aware of any Ghost cover songs that they don't just absolutely nail. I've got both If You Have Ghosts and Popestar on VInyl, I need to pop those on!

Back