Judas Priest

Can we maybe save this topic for people who are actually Priest fans, and not anti-Priest pub bollocks?

Blimey, you seem to have entered the forum like a bull in a china shop!

I would say that most, if not all, of the people posting in this topic like Judas Priest. In fact, at the risk of sounding old, I should say that I do like their music since I first heard Sin After Sin more than 30 years ago...

Blimey, you seem to have entered the forum like a bull in a china shop!

I would say that most, if not all, of the people posting in this topic like Judas Priest. In fact, at the risk of sounding old, I should say that I do like their music since I first heard Sin After Sin more than 30 years ago...
lol, yeah that's fair play. Sorry for the broken vases. ^^;

Oh, don't mind me I'm a bit hot-headed, especially with bands I like. Old, young, who cares? A fan is a fan. :) For me, it's a bit crazy, as most of the stuff I like came out before I was born :D Screaming for Vengeance is still probably my favorite, though I really did like Firepower, and Redeemer of Souls though I thought the mastering could have been better. I can't wait for their next release theyve been talking about for a while.

I have a bit of the inside scoop here. I don't have any links, but it was in a rare JP documentary I have somewhere. I'll try to find it when I have time if anyone is interested. Apparently, during the early days, around 82ish, Maiden was offered to play with Priest, to open for them, and Bruce (and probably Harris) wanted to headline instead and had an ego about things. Priest and Halford were like (paraphrasing) 'WTF, we've been around much longer than these kids, and we have a following about 100 times their size (at the time), and we're handing them a golden opportunity here.' Priest were baffled, and tried to nicely talk some sense into them, but Bruce, as Bruce often does, got all egotistical and anal over it, so Priest told them to piss off. I think it was Maiden's manager at the time that talked some sense into them and patched things up, and thus, we have Maiden supporting priest during the famous 82' tour with Clive.

As a side note, the JP guys said they actually hung out and talked with Clive a few times during the tour and really liked him. They also said they talked with Dave who they also liked. They did not have a high opinion of H and Bruce above all, and were kinda on the fence with Harris, not saying much either way. I do know Janick Gers is friends with them as well, I think still today.

But yeah, it was a matter of Bruce's sweltering self-importance, to my knowledge.

So when Ripper joined in the mid 90's, Iron Maiden sent an offer for JP to open for them. Bruce's way of giving them a jab I guess, (its highly suspected) and trying to hold a grudge, since they just lost Halford. and of course, Priest refused. Can't say I blame them.
If this is true then they've obviously patched things up to an extent since Halford supported Maiden on the BNW tour.

Personally, I'd take whatever Tim 'MAGA' Owens says with a big pinch of salt.

If this is true then they've obviously patched things up to an extent since Halford supported Maiden on the BNW tour.

Personally, I'd take whatever Tim 'MAGA' Owens says with a big pinch of salt.
Word! Owens was a salesman before joining Priest. And that's not even band heresay I think it's on his wiki. xD

Doesn't sound too unlikey to me. I mean if you're a young band trying to carve a niche for yourself in 80's heavy metal it has to happen with a bit of ego, bravado and boasting. I'm sure Bruce did all of these things very well at the time around 1982.

But the story is really a no story since it sounds like Priest just laughed it off really. What else to do with a young, upcoming band like that ;)

Doesn't sound too unlikey to me. I mean if you're a young band trying to carve a niche for yourself in 80's heavy metal it has to happen with a bit of ego, bravado and boasting. I'm sure Bruce did all of these things very well at the time around 1982.

But the story is really a no story since it sounds like Priest just laughed it off really. What else to do with a young, upcoming band like that ;)

Maiden have been cocky since way before Bruce joined the band.

And Steve. Don't forget that infamous ad announcing that Maiden were back as the best hard rock band in London back in the very early days.
Some cockiness is not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of bands have said stuff like this to promote themselves. What Paul said was over the line though, even if he believed it.

Last edited:

This seems silly for a dual guitar band to tour as a 4-piece when Richie’s partner is the daughter of guitar maestro George Lynch, who is already on record saying he’d love to be Priest’s touring guitarist. It would take just about zero effort to solve this problem in an exciting way.

This seems silly for a dual guitar band to tour as a 4-piece when Richie’s partner is the daughter of guitar maestro George Lynch, who is already on record saying he’d love to be Priest’s touring guitarist. It would take just about zero effort to solve this problem in an exciting way.
Totally agree. The quintessential twin guitar attack band now a 4 piece? Shame KK and Priest can't reconcile, I think most fans would love to see that. Lynch would be good too. I think this is a mistake, worried how they will sound live now.

Totally agree. The quintessential twin guitar attack band now a 4 piece? Shame KK and Priest can't reconcile, I think most fans would love to see that. Lynch would be good too. I think this is a mistake, worried how they will sound live now.
+1. Strange decision for a quintessential twin guitar attack band. KK is the answer. Curious (and worried) how they will sound live. This is an unexpected, unwanted and not a good/terrible move. It's ridiculous.

Edit: KK turned the page by launching his solo band and with all those comments in recent years it will be a surprise, sadly. Maybe they will find a new guitarist, dunno... it seems doubtful (although it seemed they will stay with Andy). I just can't imagine Priest with one guitar. The idea won't work, the harmony parts needs to be done live, unless they use tapes of pre-recorded parts.

Last edited:
Back