Bruce Dickinson

Yeah... maybe a solo tour (after the retirement of Maiden) to wrap up his solo career. He can release the album then too (or before that, but without a tour). Making solo albums without touring for them is something that Bruce is not a fan of, I think.

Sure that implies there's an album.

But I also don't believe Maiden will retire. They're going to eventually stop scheduling world tours and even releasing new material, but retirement is a device they don't need to use.

He barely took Z out in the heyday of his solo career, skunkworks band on the first two albums tours , The Guru on the Chemical Wedding tour and Pete Friesen for the few dates he did in the early 2000's.

AFAIK Z bailed out of European TCW tour to pursue other projects (Halford?) so there was a bit of a grudge maybe in 2002.

What's the story with not taking out Z/Tribe for the first time around tho? He did tour Balls to Picasso properly...

He sounds better here, recorded just with phones, than with Maiden full production. Perhaps it‘s time for him to leave again... and record an album with Roger Glover.
Well... He is rested. We know why he sounded worse in 2019... He recorded an album before that leg... I think that if they don't cram in too much dates, we can still get a 2018 version ov his voice. With Maiden too.

AFAIK Z bailed out of European TCW tour to pursue other projects (Halford?) so there was a bit of a grudge maybe in 2002.

If I remember correctly, one of Roy Z's parents was ill and he decided to stay to take care of them.

What's the story with not taking out Z/Tribe for the first time around tho? He did tour Balls to Picasso properly...

Bruce was instrumental in getting the Tribe of Gypsies a deal and that meant they had a career of their own and did not have the time to be another artist's backing band.

The story was different. He had to produce a Downset album.

Never heard of that one. Which Downset album did he produce in 1998?

Back in 1998 the official reason (excuse?) was the one I have given (and The Guru had to learn the whole set in a very short time). Bruce on his autobiography mentions Roy's health being fragile instead.

@Jer would probably remember what went on.

@Forostar where does that Downset bit come from?

I just went on their wiki, saw what album could be it, went on discogs and Roy Z is listed as producer and has credits on tracks.

@Jer would probably remember what went on.
Sadly, I don’t recall the exact reasons. Roy Z. had “other commitments” at the time, whatever that means. He was able to spend a few weeks with The Guru to get him up to speed on the guitar parts in advance of the tour, though.

Sadly, I don’t recall the exact reasons. Roy Z. had “other commitments” at the time, whatever that means. He was able to spend a few weeks with The Guru to get him up to speed on the guitar parts in advance of the tour, though.
Roy Z refused to go on tour with Bruce twice, first for BTP and then again for TCW. He seems to be very proud of TCW though, on his homepage he lists himself as "Producer, Engineer, Mixing, Primary Artist, Main Personnel, Guitar, Keyboards, Bass Instrument, Soloist, Composer" for the album. :-D

The Guru, contrary to his name, did not do the 'pro replacement' job very well. He messed quite of those solos. I recall reading that Dickinson was not neutral to Roy Z's decision but obviously couldn't do anything about it.

Didn't he basically decide to look into returning to Maiden at this time? E.g. the cat was out of the bag. I think reluctance of Roy Z to fully commit to his cause was a small factor.

Roy Z refused to go on tour with Bruce twice, first for BTP and then again for TCW. He seems to be very proud of TCW though, on his homepage he lists himself as "Producer, Engineer, Mixing, Primary Artist, Main Personnel, Guitar, Keyboards, Bass Instrument, Soloist, Composer" for the album. :-D

a-soviet-jewish-world-war-ii-veteran-with-medals-pinned-in-his-old-CAYHM8.jpg

I can totally see that. Roy Z kind of sounds like a flake as far as touring goes and he was getting a lot of production opportunities. If you’re struggling to sell out clubs and small theatres and you can’t even put together a cohesive band to do it with, might as well join Maiden again.

I thought you were kidding and went to check the website and it seems that no, you were not!! o_O

@Forostar where does that Downset bit come from?

I just went on their wiki, saw what album could be it, went on discogs and Roy Z is listed as producer and has credits on tracks.
From my memory. It was mentioned as the reason (and it fits with what you found on Discogs as well). I can try and look it up.

Last edited:
Yep. Roy only toured "properly' with Bruce in AOB era (1997).

Back