How old were you when you started listening to Maiden and which 3 albums did you buy first?

dickinson1978

Ancient Mariner
I am 43 years old, i started to listening to iron maiden maybe 1992 or 1993 y remember reading a review from donington 1992 in a heavy margazine. And my first 3 album in order
1.fear of the dark
2. Seventh son of a seventh son i thought it was like a bit soft,now i love it
3. Live after death i thought they were sounding weird at first time i listen to it LOL

I knew a few songs before (Holy Smoke, Daughter and probably also Madness and Evil), but really getting into Maiden: age 16, in the summer of 1991.

First bought:
Live After Death (second hand LP), Somewhere in Time (CD), Piece of Mind (CD).

First album I heard was the debut (cassette from a friend on a walkman, I was hooked immediately when the fast part in Prowler started). I also heard Killers and SSOASS, borrowed LP's from a classmate, probably before I bought the CD's, but after LAD.

Last edited:
I bet this experience differs wildly depending on where you came in. I started listening to Iron Maiden in July or August of 2001. The first Iron Maiden disc I bought was Best of the Beast, but the first actual album I bought was Brave New World. I then got Rock in Rio and Powerslave, and, well, that was it.

I became a fan back in 1991 thanks to a classmate who gave me some cassette tapes (one included No Prayer for the Dying).

My first albums (LPs) from the band were No Prayer for the Dying, Live After Death and Fear of the Dark (these latter two were presents from my parents). After that I bought the Powerslave LP, followed by The Number of the Beast, Somewhere in Time, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son on CD and the rest is history!

I started listening to Maiden in 1990 when I was 12.

First albums I heard -
1. No Prayer For The Dying - probably why I rate this higher than most, it was my first as I picked out the most recent release at the time.
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - my favorite album of all time
3. Piece of Mind - my second favorite Maiden album

I became a fan back in 1991 thanks to a classmate who gave me some cassette tapes (one included No Prayer for the Dying).

My first albums (LPs) from the band were No Prayer for the Dying, Live After Death and Fear of the Dark (these latter two were presents from my parents). After that I bought the Powerslave LP, followed by The Number of the Beast, Somewhere in Time, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son on CD and the rest is history!
I bought them all before FOTD came out, apart from Beast and Prayer which I had taped on a cassette (borrowed the CD's from the public library) so I did not have to buy these that soon. Seventh Son was also one of the last I bought.

But dude, in between (somewhere in) 1991 and FOTD you did not buy an album, after No Prayer? Slow starter!
Maybe it was December 1991. ;--)

I first heard Aces High on a compilation cassette called Headbangers Heaven around 86. Then in 88, age 13, I heard SSOASS when my cousin played it.

From then until No Prayer was released I collected all their albums. First was SSOASS, then Piece of Mind and then either Live after Death or Killers.

Last edited:
1991 also, 11 years old, heard Bring Your Daughter on telly when it was number one, guy in school had an older brother into metal, so a few of us copied albums from him.

Not sure what first 3 I bought were but the first 3 I copied were Piece of Mind, Seventh Son and probably the first album but maybe Powerslave. First I paid money for was A Real Live One.

The same happens to me with fear of the dark....from time to time i listen that album and great memories come back to my mind

I knew a few songs before (Holy Smoke, and probably also Madness, Evil and Daughter), but really getting into Maiden: age 16, in the summer of 1991.

First bought:
Live After Death (LP), Somewhere in Time (CD), Piece of Mind (CD).

First album I heard was the debut (cassette from a friend on a walkman, I was hooked immediately when the fast part in Prowler started). I also heard Killers and SSOASS, borrowed LP's from a classmate, probably before I bought the CD's, but after LAD.
Yeah killers was one of my first maybe 5 or 6 albums i didnt know that they had another singer. Same happened with helloween Master of the rings... i though ...Who is singing?

I bought them all before FOTD came out, apart from Beast and Prayer which I had taped on a cassette (borrowed the CD's from the public library) so I did not have to buy these that soon. Seventh Son was also one of the last I bought.

But dude, in between (somewhere in) 1991 and FOTD you did not buy an album, after No Prayer? Slow starter!
Maybe it was December 1991. ;--)

Maybe I didn’t have the disposable income?

There was a lot of taping going around though and you are right, it was quite late in 1991 when I got those tapes. :)

Last edited:
In 2018 I was 41 and was sampling stuff on Apple Music. I saw a reference to Iron Maiden somewhere and it occurred to me I had never heard a song by them, although I listened to plenty of other music over the years. I was never particularly into metal. I started the Number of the Beast album and was immediately hooked by Invaders. Over the next few months I made my way through the whole discography and pretty much only listened to Iron Maiden for the subsequent year. I was so glad to get to see them shortly afterward on the US Legacy of the Beast tour.

I fell in love with Maiden in 1987, when first listening to 'Powerslave'. I was 3 years old. Then, the first three Maiden albums I've bought for myself were 'The Best Of The Beast', 'Virtual XI' and 'Brave New World'. :)

1988. I was 8 years old and my had to be "rescued" from my parents so I moved in with my aunt and uncle. They had their own two children, a son and daughter, who instead of cousins would now be like my brother and sister. My new brother was 14 at the time, and was listening to all the latest metal and hard rock. I came from a background of country music and had NEVER heard anything like I was hearing. I heard album like The Joshua Tree by U2, Hysteria by Def Leppard, Appetite for Destruction by Runs in Noses, Master of Puppies by Metallica, and, lastly, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. My nu-brother had posters of Eddie all over his walls and I first heard the title track to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son which was called Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I liked all the music I was hearing, but I was mesmerized by Eddie and that album. Almost immediately I knew they were the band for me. Over my next few pre-teen years I'd go to my friend's house, who had all the Maiden material on cassette or CD, and I'd dub every single one. Then I'd go to my Uncle's luggage repair shop because they had a copy machine, and I'd xerox black and white copies of the album sleeves so my Cassettes would look good. Then as I got older, into my later teens, I started actually buying all the Maiden albums on CD. I still have my collection of all of Maiden's '98 remasters on CD plus the original CD copies of X Factor and Virtual XI along with every CD released since then. I also now own everything again on vinyl.

I started listening to music in a serious way at age ten, in 1981. My first three albums purchased were:

1. Daryl Hall and John Oates, Voices
2. J. Geils Band, Freeze-Frame
3. Daryl Hall and John Oates, Private Eyes

I first heard Iron Maiden in 1982: "Run to the Hills" on MTV. I didn't become a fan until 1986, when I bought Live After Death. By the time Somewhere in Time was released, I had obtained the first five Maiden albums. Thus my first 3 Maiden albums that were bought when new were Live After Death, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son.

Summer of 1988, 12 years old. Holidaying with some cousins in grandmother's home. My older cousin had just made a cassette compilation with all recent no1's. All pop songs except one, Can I Play with Madness.. (a karma mistake as the song was never a number 1!)

I was hooked immediately, made a copy of the compilation for myself and when I came back home in September, I bought the cassette of Seventh Son, which I was listening again and again in loops for 3 months. Ecstatic. To be noted that the cassette had full lyrics, photos and artwork inside. November I got the vinyls of Piece of Mind and Live After Death as birthday presents and before January 1989 I had the rest of discography, cassettes.

Somewhere in 1993, I was 17 and into Nirvana like most of the teens back then. Triggered by the artwork, I lent Powerslave and SSOASS from the library and copied them on a 90 minutes tape. I used the fade out button right before the poem to let ROTAM fit on side A so I never heard that brilliant ending until I bought the CD many years later. 3d album I heard was A Real Live One, my nephew bought it and I taped it. Loved the crowd on Fear Of The Dark!

Because the thread title asked "3 first albums bought " here they are:

Fear Of The Dark (tape)
A Real Dead One (tape)
Somewhere In Time (First album on CD)

Last edited:
Probably younger than most here.
When I was 13, in 2005, I played SSX On Tour on the PS2. The title song was Run to the Hills, I remember thinking the vocalist was whiny. I was into Green Day and Linkin Park at that age.
In 2006 a new kid joined school and introduced my to metal, along with Maiden. I then made the connection with the song from SSX and was hooked, listening to random songs I downloaded.
I went to a record store several months later and picked up Iron Maiden and Killers, not knowing Bruce isn't even on these records. After listening to these albums I decided to listen to each album ten times chronologically. Finished around 2007 I think, so I wasn't around when AMOLAD was brand new. By 2010 I had bought every album they made, and was ready for my first proper new Maiden album: TFF.

I was 6 when I first heard Powerslave, right after it was released. Next memory I got was a few years later, watching CIPWM on MTV. I realized what the band was about in late 1991 and Killers, Prayer and NOTB were the first albums I got. FOTD was my first "new Maiden" release I witnessed as a fan.

Back