Metallica

Speaking to Classic Rock magazine, Dickinson says: "Ourselves, Judas Priest and Pantera all reached a crossroads where we had the chance to really step up to the next level. But none of us had the balls to do it. Metallica did, though. You have to give them huge credit for grabbing the opportunity when it came up, taking the risk and deservedly reaping the enormous rewards. You cannot underestimate their achievement with this album.

“It’s one of those seminal albums that just gets it right. It’s extremely well-produced, and every note on that album is totally under control. I admire how they did it, and what they did with the songs, and it was very effective: it undoubtedly did help push metal into the mainstream. I know it wasn’t Mutt Lange who produced it, but Bob Rock had that similar thing where the producer was very much in control.

Speaking to Classic Rock magazine, Dickinson says: "Ourselves, Judas Priest and Pantera all reached a crossroads where we had the chance to really step up to the next level. But none of us had the balls to do it. Metallica did, though. You have to give them huge credit for grabbing the opportunity when it came up, taking the risk and deservedly reaping the enormous rewards. You cannot underestimate their achievement with this album.

“It’s one of those seminal albums that just gets it right. It’s extremely well-produced, and every note on that album is totally under control. I admire how they did it, and what they did with the songs, and it was very effective: it undoubtedly did help push metal into the mainstream. I know it wasn’t Mutt Lange who produced it, but Bob Rock had that similar thing where the producer was very much in control.

I was literally about to share this. Didn't Bruce criticize The Black Album at the time as a "radio record" that Maiden would never do?

I was literally about to share this. Didn't Bruce criticize The Black Album at the time as a "radio record" that Maiden would never do?

And he now he says basically say the same thing, but in more a more kind way? :bigsmile: Surprised?

John: Any of the new Maiden you'd fancy singing?
Bruce: I quite liked 'Futureal'. When the singer writes a track the melody is a lot more singer-friendly. Some of Steve's songs are a bugger to sing because the words are incredibly awkward. You want to leave out half of them, basically.
- Bruce Dickinson, interviewed by Kerrang 1998 (he hadn't yet been approached by the band for an offer to rejoin when he said that though!)

If someone would ask him today what he thinks about Steve's tracks he would propably say that they are "challenging". He was a lot more upright back in the day.
:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
The Metallica podcast has launched today.

I remember Bruce to always criticize Metallica, especially after Black Album.
Did it take them balls to do it? Not sure.
I just know that a big part of Black Album's success was due to the unprecedented & timeless production by Bod Rock.

Did anyone order the Black Album remastered on vinyl?

Amazon just emailed me saying it's been delayed till end of Sep/early Oct. I think I'm going to cancel it.

Thanks. I won't go there. I don't like half of the songs even when they're played by Metallica...

Thanks. I won't go there. I don't like half of the songs even when they're played by Metallica...
The Black Album was my and many other people's gateway album into metal. I wouldn't have learned guitar or discovered Maiden without it. These days I recognise its flaws particularly with dreck like Don't Tread On Me. That and it unfortunately inspired the likes of FFDP and Avenged Sevenfold to form.

However, it's still an undisputed classic. There's a reason it's the biggest selling metal album. Also, I find it funny that it continues to enrage metal elitists to this day.

Has anyone listened to all those covers? I've heard a couple and not found them all that interesting, can't be arsed to go through all 50-odd of them. :lol:

Back