Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOTC has just started on my 6th run....
This is different level stuff from Maiden.
I have been listening to this album from 9 o'clock (UK time) this morning. Still unveiling treasures and have not even fully considered the guitar solos yet.
It's no wonder they had considered going back in the studio in 2020 according to Sir Bruce...

I guess it needs more listens. So far I think Death of the Celts is a better epic, but that could change the more I listen to the album.
I agree! Hell On Earth hasn't clicked with me yet. That's two listens just to be clear.

Steve's epics ranked as of now

Death of the Celts
The Parchment
Lost in a Lost World
Hell On Earth

This will surely change over the next few days

I like the album, but only (outside of the singles) The Time Machine and Hell on Earth really stood out to me instantly. The biggest problem I have is that it's all tonally the same, very plodding. If some of the songs were more upbeat with a faster tempo, it could have been easier to get through. I'm usually a massive fan of the Maiden epics whatever the length, and this is the first time I've felt like this about a Maiden album.

I have a feeling the album is going to be a grower, so I'll keep an open mind on more listens. However, I will say it's a much more refined and focused album compared to The Book of Souls.

Seemed like a good review to me. The guy was on point and honest. Used his own opinions and also enlighted about opinions of others.

He doesn't like long songs, so we see where he is coming from.
I still find it rather weird that people complain about song order. Are people still listening to songs in order these days?
I always use random mode.
I totally understand that Mr. Popoff is entitled to his opinion like everyone else, however he has already expressed his luke warm reaction to reunion era Maiden. WTF was he expecting, NOTB2?
Surely the track listing would have given him a hint as to the style of the album.
Let's be positive and celebrate a great day....

• I absolutely loved Darkest Hour even though I think Churchill was a cnut. He got one thing right in a lifetime of wrongs so I guess that's worthy of examination. The vocals soar on this one. The waves and seagulls really add to the atmosphere. It wasn't overtly jingoistic either which I was fine with.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I agree! Hell On Earth hasn't clicked with me yet. That's two listens just to be clear.

Steve's epics ranked as of now

Death of the Celts
The Parchment
Lost in a Lost World
Hell On Earth

This will surely change over the next few days

I would place Hell On Earth above Lost in a Lost World, but otherwise I - so far - agree with you.

He loved FF and BOS.
I don't really want to get into this at the minute but I could hoke out the book I was referring to if I could be arsed.
Loved is a strong word to use from memory when referring to his opinions of BOS and TFF. I remember reading the book and thinking is this guy even an IM fan.
Let's move on from this negativity.

Only listened through all the songs once through but here are my very early initial ratings of songs:

Senjutsu – 8/10 (obvious strong Maiden "war" song)
Stratego – 8/10 (same as above)
Writing – 8/10 (cemented as unique song but still a very catchy strong tune)
Lost – 7/10 (not sure how i feel yet but doesn't suck)
Days – 6.5/10 (was hoping for a "pop" song here but it's no Rainmaker or Wicker Man so far)
Time – 7.5/10 (pretty interesting song that could emerge as a gem...hard to tell)
Darkest – 7.5/10 (not sure how i feel yet but doesn't suck)
Death – 8/10 (why is this song getting so dogged? MUCH better than i was lead to believe)
Parchment – 7/10 (too long and didn't hear what everyone else is hearing so far)
Hell – 8/10 (too long again but the actual parts are really solid)

I don't really want to get into this at the minute but I could hoke out the book I was referring to if I could be arsed.
Loved is a strong word to use from memory when referring to his opinions of BOS and TFF. I remember reading the book and thinking is this guy even an IM fan.
Let's move on from this negativity.
Exactly, let Martin Popoff have his opinion, as you guys have yours.

Agreed and bookmarked his review for later watch. The guy is extreme though. I mean how you can give a zero rating to any album, or anything with hundreds of man-hours inside, he has done that.

^ exactly and that's where Martin veers from really knowledgeable and (mostly) humorous writer to just absurdity. how does one give Def Leppard's Hysteria a "0" and Maiden's XF a "0" then turn around and give "St Anger" a "7" or whatever. it's just personal bias bs. he's dogged on Maiden for 30 years now and STILL doesn't understand the "big deal" with SSOASS. he's an idiot for the most part with more 70's persuasion toward metal. if you filter it through that he's fun to read. i've bought MANY albums based upon his enthusiasm and i've been burned 75% of the time.

I'm giving DOTC another chance right now actually. There's parts I love, parts I wish Steve would have cut out. I like it better than The Clansman because it's trying to fit everyone in but...Bruce sounds like he's not into it. This to me is the worst of the Harris tunes on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back