3. The Writing On The Wall 9/10
4. Lost In A Lost World 6/10
5. Days Of Future Past 9/10
6. The Time Machine 10/10
7. Darkest Hour 10/10
8. Death Of The Celts 9.5/10
9. The Parchment 9/10
10. Hell On Earth 10/10

My physical copy still hasn't arrived, so I'm still restricted to streaming from YouTube.

Decided I quite like Hell On Earth's intro. It's much more interesting than the similar "quiet" intros. Helps that the song after is great too.

My thoughts, for what it's worth :)

Senjutsu - Driving, unresolvning, menacing, epic. Fresh sounding! Could've been a Priest song if Halford had been on vocals. 4/5
Stratego - Best single since Wickerman? Great short(ish) banger, the chorus is absolutely brilliant. 4/5
WOTW - didn't stick at first, but a great song nonetheless and fits perfect after the fast and heavy first two tracks. Great H solo. 3/5
LIALW - Loved it from first listen. Love the nod to V XI and X Factor and the lyrics are really moving. The solos are fantastic! 4/5
DOFP - OK song, I'm of the opinion that Maiden are at their finest when epic. This has a Bruce solo feel to it and I would actually liked it to be a bit longer with that softer mid section being a bit more elaborate with some lead playing. 3/5
The Time Machine - Nah, recycle bin has been emptied at the Gers house. To similar to other Gers stuff, but still some good sections. 2/5
Darkest Hour - Wow! Love it! Great vocal performance, great solos, nice structure, moving. 4,5/5
Death of the Celts - What the h*ll? Steve's been in the recycle bin as well. Dragging, vocals are absolutely horrendous, flat, lisp, no power. Feels like it's an octave to low and has been written with Blaze in mind. Might grow on me, who knows...1,5/5 (!)
The Parchment - Second WOW moment! It moves about, it squirms, it floats, it's epic. Great guitar playing, great mood, dark and menacing, but a bit bloated, robs it of 0,5 points. 4,5/5
Hell on Earth - Love at first liten. Simply stunning, almost cried... Steve at his best. 5/5.

Average score 3,55 but will probably get into a 4-ish average if Time Machine and Death of the Celts has had time to sink in.

Pleasantly surprised by the album as a whole, like it very much and it's fighting third place of the reunion albums. Not as good as AMOLAD or BNW, but a bloody good album and excellent effort. Songwriting is top notch, but production is not really my taste. Would have preferred a bit sharper and more focused sound as a whole and a bit more vocal clarity, but that's up to my own taste. Feels like a mix of X-Factor, AMOLAD, Fear of the Dark and BNW song wise (except Senjutsu, which doesn’t sound like anything they’ve done before).

Darkest Hour has got to be one of the best songs Maiden has ever released. It's a Bruce/Adrian solo song performed by Maiden, but still LOL Amazing! Spot on, perfect songwriting.

First impression was all tracks are of a high standard, disc 2 is better than disc 1. Enjoyed most on first listen Death of the Celts, possible weakest track Days of Future Past.

My thoughts, for what it's worth :)

Senjutsu - Driving, unresolvning, menacing, epic. Fresh sounding! Could've been a Priest song if Halford had been on vocals. 4/5
Stratego - Best single since Wickerman? Great short(ish) banger, the chorus is absolutely brilliant. 4/5
WOTW - didn't stick at first, but a great song nonetheless and fits perfect after the fast and heavy first two tracks. Great H solo. 3/5
LIALW - Loved it from first listen. Love the nod to V XI and X Factor and the lyrics are really moving. The solos are fantastic! 4/5
DOFP - OK song, I'm of the opinion that Maiden are at their finest when epic. This has a Bruce solo feel to it and I would actually liked it to be a bit longer with that softer mid section being a bit more elaborate with some lead playing. 3/5
The Time Machine - Nah, recycle bin has been emptied at the Gers house. To similar to other Gers stuff, but still some good sections. 2/5
Darkest Hour - Wow! Love it! Great vocal performance, great solos, nice structure, moving. 4,5/5
Death of the Celts - What the h*ll? Steve's been in the recycle bin as well. Dragging, vocals are absolutely horrendous, flat, lisp, no power. Feels like it's an octave to low and has been written with Blaze in mind. Might grow on me, who knows...1,5/5 (!)
The Parchment - Second WOW moment! It moves about, it squirms, it floats, it's epic. Great guitar playing, great mood, dark and menacing, but a bit bloated, robs it of 0,5 points. 4,5/5
Hell on Earth - Love at first liten. Simply stunning, almost cried... Steve at his best. 5/5.

Average score 3,55 but will probably get into a 4-ish average if Time Machine and Death of the Celts has had time to sink in.

Pleasantly surprised by the album as a whole, like it very much and it's fighting third place of the reunion albums. Not as good as AMOLAD or BNW, but a bloody good album and excellent effort. Songwriting is top notch, but production is not really my taste. Would have preferred a bit sharper and more focused sound as a whole and a bit more vocal clarity, but that's up to my own taste. Feels like a mix of X-Factor, AMOLAD, Fear of the Dark and BNW song wise (except Senjutsu, which doesn’t sound like anything they’ve done before).
Spot on for Senjutsu, the song. It's a Priest song actually, immediately thought about it!

I dont know why they used that "robotics" effect for Bruce voice on LIALW and DOFP, a little bit annoying

It's interesting that we all love this band, but can have very different opinions on the songs.
Yep. This shows how good every song is.

My favorite song in the album is ''Hell On Earth'' (like most fans), by my least favorite song (*so far) is ''The Time Machine'' (not like most fans).

Reactions: Oca
I apologize it it has been pointed out by someone else, but I just want to tell you all, Maiden do not fucking care about your complains and critics. It is officially stated by them :

Iron Maiden are an institution. Over the course of 44 years they have come to embody a spirit of fearless creative independence, ferocious dedication to their fans, and a cheerful indifference to their critics that’s won them a following that spans every culture, generation, and time-zone. A story of gritty determination and courageous defiance of the naysayers, theirs has been an adventure like no other.

I apologize it it has been pointed out by someone else, but I just want to tell you all, Maiden do not fucking care about your complains and critics. It is officially stated by them
Why are on forum then?

People here sharing experience and commenting about their favourite band, nothing wrong about it.

Why are on forum then?

People here sharing experience and commenting about their favourite band, nothing wrong about it.
I personally do care about reviews and discussions of the new album (and old albums as well). I just pointed out it is Iron Maiden that do not care about critics.

I'd go:

1. Senjutsu 8/10
2. Stratego 7.5/10
3. The Writing On The Wall 9/10
4. Lost In A Lost World 7/10
7. Darkest Hour 9.5/10
8. Death Of The Celts 8.5/10
9. The Parchment 10/10
10. Hell On Earth 10/10

Of course, it's stil too early to think about ratings, but after living 3 days with the album that's how I feel about them. The Parchment/Hell On Earth are a perfect way to end it, my god, 2 masterpieces.

We are very close. Here is my first take after 3 listens:

1. Senjutsu 9/10
2. Stratego 8/10
3. The Writing On The Wall 10/10
4. Lost In A Lost World 7/10
7. Darkest Hour 9/10
8. Death Of The Celts 9/10
9. The Parchment 8.5/10 [edit: up from 7 - after listening again, it is growing on me - solo at end a bit unnecessarily long]
10. Hell On Earth 9.5/10

Overall, a very strong album. Unbelievable after 40+ years and with the band in their 60s we still get great new music like this!

Last edited:
Lost In A Lost World has that recycled rhythm in the verses but has a fabulous intro and outro and the 3:38 mark and shit that kicks in at 5:00...it's really cool. I don't know. It's a track I really like while also being a little frustrated with. I'll still take it over most 90s / Blayze era songs which this is obviously reflecting. Maybe it's Bruce that saves this thing. He does the verses justice. Has an attitude. This one is hard to dislike.
I listened to it a couple more times. It is a good song with a terrific intro and I love those "ghostly" vocals. Great solos too. But most of the guitar chugging from 4.35 to 6.10 needed to be cut. And the song should have ended at 8.10. Just lack of editing keeping it from being great.

One thing that really stands out this time are the guitar solos. Absolutely stunning stuff and compared to TBOS on a different planet.
Special mention to H who shines like a diamond when it comes to the lead playing this time round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back