Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Reviewer 4, Metal Hammer Germany:
I tried it on different days, in different moods., gave it a chance to grow, to create an aha moment, to break through. The problems start with the introduction: Why put such a ponderous song at the beginning? Although there is not a single song on the entire album that completely wows me one of the livelier songs (Stratego, TWOTW) would have been better suited than this lame duck.
In general, the band seems to consciously stand on the brakes for long stretches. Besides the absence of any hooks, memorable riffs, uplifting refrains and sing-along passages, ponderous midtempo, progressive structures and expansive instrumental phases dominate and problems with the mixing and Bruce's vocals, which sound pressed in the highs instead of powerful, are noticeable in places.
The best are the moments reminiscent of “Dance of Death” ( Lost in a Lost World, The Time Machine, The Parchment and the neat conclusion Hell on Earth). It is and remains too cerebral, long-winded, expansive and below the line too indifferent.
Instead of a sword that cuts through the air, the band gives us a detailed but blunt blade that has already developed rust.
Firstly, thank you for the translation! So far 8 positive reviews vs. this negative one. Much of what this reviewer says goes directly against what the other reviewers are saying. This just seems like an aberration-type review to me. Nothing more to see here, move along folks...

I'm slightly worried about the opening track. The post-reunion opening songs have been quite vivid so far, but based on the reviews, I'm guessing Senjutsu will be a tricky song that will split the fans with regards to what an ideal album opener should be.

The title track continues to sound like a massive disappointment. When the album was announced I had such high hopes for it. I expected a roaring metal song talking about battles in the east.

The title track continues to sound like a massive disappointment. When the album was announced I had such high hopes for it. I expected a roaring metal song talking about battles in the east.
"Opening with the title track, it's an eight minute monster packed with epic guitar heroics along with Bruce's inimitable wail."

Another reviewer:
"The leadoff spot on an Iron Maiden album is a sacred thing and without even hearing the rest of the album, this spot feels just right for the title track."

Stop trying to convince yourself you're not going to like a Maiden song before you even hear it. Once you do, perhaps you'll really like it.

I am done reading reviews. I have already read enough to have a general idea about the songs and the sound and now it is time for the real thing.
I've not read any. I'm going in as blind as possible so I can make my own judgement without it being potentially influenced by reviews.

I've not read any. I'm going in as blind as possible so I can make my own judgement without it being potentially influenced by reviews.
Kind of wish I hadn't but then I probably won't remember them come release day :bigsmile:. I am going to avoid any album leaks though. And maybe try to avoid Stratego if they release that before Sept 3rd. But that will be hard....

Just a heads up. About 2-3 weeks before Book Of Souls, a troll on hasitleaked reported a fake leak. So if one is reported, please make sure it’s real before freaking out.

Reactions: Gk1
I won't listen to leaks because of dubious sound quality. It can taint your experience with the album. Proof is video version of the single, the vocals still don't sound quite right, and the audio version on non-video upload on YT is still lower from that one of Spotify. Now imagine if someone screwed with the album to blur watermarks and then bounced it to 192kbps MP3. No, thanks.

If they release Stratego officially I will certainly listen to it. But if the album leaks I will try to avoid because I don't want to hear nothing which the quality are not the best possible.

Last edited:
I won't listen to leaks because of dubious sound quality. It can taint your experience with the album. Proof is video version of the single, the vocals still don't sound quite right, and the audio version on non-video upload on YT is still lower from that one of Spotify. Now imagine if someone screwed with the album to blur watermarks and then bounced it to 192kbps MP3. No, thanks.
Yes, my point exactly.

If they release Stratego officially I will certainly listen to it. But if the album leaked I will try to avoid because I don't want to hear nothing which the quality are not the best possible.
What if an uncompressed FLAC version without watermarks leaks?

Back