Blaze Bayley

I've been lucky enough to meet Blaze a couple of times at his gigs. Great guy and a true metal warrior. I was never keen on his Maiden albums but his solo material has been stellar. I have Silicone Messiah and the Infinite Entanglement trilogy on CD as well as the Live in France dvd. I love how he completely runs his own DIY operation with no record label involvement. It means that if you purchase his stuff he gets 100% profit so I always advocate that if you want to support him, buy his merch/albums and buy a ticket to his shows. Don't just stream his music on YouTube or whatever.

blaze (2).jpg

Yeah, I try to support Blaze by buying a fair share of his stuff. He's great. Haven't bought his last one yet due to the over the top pitch correction. It just sounds dodgy.

I could never tell he used auto tune. The album is quite ok though!

I heard Blaze sing Fear Of The Dark with an Orchestra, it was together with artists like Doro Pesch. Great gig.

And yes he´s a truly great guy. Met him twice after a gig, he signed my booklets with great pleasure. Very down to earth person too.

I heard Blaze sing Fear Of The Dark with an Orchestra, it was together with artists like Doro Pesch. Great gig.

And yes he´s a truly great guy. Met him twice after a gig, he signed my booklets with great pleasure. Very down to earth person too.
I'm listening to that right now. Pretty damn good.

Never noticed it but I'll give it another listen.
Almost all modern metal productions have some sort of pitch correction now days, at least to a small degree, but Blaze's latest album is almost like Cher - Believe from 1998, which used auto tune as a distortion effect on the vocals:

That was a cool thing to do in pop music from the late 90's though, but I'm not so sure it's the right thing for Blaze. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Yax
Almost all modern metal productions have some sort of pitch correction now days, at least to a small degree, but Blaze's latest album is almost like Cher - Believe from 1998, which used auto tune as a distortion effect on the vocals:

That was a cool thing to do in pop music from the late 90's though, but I'm not so sure it's the right thing for Blaze. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I don't really have a problem when it's just sprinkled on top to smooth things out, like the very subtle pitch correction on Fates Warning's "Theories of Flight" album or the early BLAZE albums. But Blaze's latest is hard to listen to.

Yeah, I have noticed a few standout moments vocal wise - Haven’t with the guitars, but yeah, fairly common.

For me ATSS is better with Blaze than Bruce.
I actually agree on this - Bruce feels like he tries maybe a bit too hard on that song when they played it live, whereas Blaze's more direct approach works better for the material and the higher last chorus also fits rather well. That said, I think the official video version may not have entirely live vocals since in all the bootlegs I've heard, Blaze is more shaky on the high parts and it's not quite as impressive.

I met Blaze too. Quite a cool guy. Polite and down to earth. Really loved Sillicon Messiah. I got a couple of his albums. Still enjoy his albums (most of them). However I must be tone deaf, I can't understand the autotune on the new album.

I met Blaze too. Quite a cool guy. Polite and down to earth. Really loved Sillicon Messiah. I got a couple of his albums. Still enjoy his albums (most of them). However I must be tone deaf, I can't understand the autotune on the new album.
You're better of not noticing actually. It ruined what seems like a perfectly good album for me. I'd rather be able to enjoy it.

Reactions: Gk1
It is shame that Blaze didnt manage to have a bigger career.

I hope that he earned enough money with Maiden for some nice life, he deserved it.

Back