Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I look at Dave Mustaine and he is giving constant updates on the new album. It doesn't really take much to keep the buzz going. A little bit of social media activity from the members where they share some interesting tidbit would have been enough.

I just cannot imagine that H did not hear the final mix and had no input in it. So weird that the rest of the band did not even hear the final version of the album since 2019 and it is now in production.
Shirley was probably afraid that if he heard the mix he wouldnt choose him for Smith-Kotzen :p

So weird that the rest of the band did not even hear the final version of the album since 2019 and it is now in production.
Yeah. Maybe because only Steve and Kevin are responsible for the production of the album and they mixed it alone without the other band members - after the development of the songs and writing/recording process, of course.

Yeah. Maybe because only Steve and Kevin are responsible for the production of the album and they mixed it alone without the other band members - after the development of the songs and writing/recording process.
I imagine Adrian hearing the mix of Senjutsu for the first time, he is like: "WTF?!" I like the WOTW mix so far, clearly, they added some reverb and not that dry. Smith&Kotzen sounds good to me, it's typical Kevin Shirley without Steve playing around with the knobs.

Smith/Kiotzen thing proves that what matters is the songwriting. As long as you don't have good songs, nothing can save you.
Different approach by Adrian compared to Steve's British Lion for sure. BL's latest album is quite good actually, focused on songwriting and to my surprise contains songs that actually flow(!). This is what missing to me from recent Maiden. Written by the same guy. Adrian wants to get away from Maiden to create something on his own, more guitar focused. Both are good to me.

I thought Adrian's solo could have produced better. There is this 2nd segment (4:31 in this vid) that is sort of buried in the mix (too soft). You don't hear the low notes well.

Solar fire features Nicko. his drumming is so fluid and better than enything he did with Maiden for such a long time. His sound is also so much better. And I think that the produciton on the SK album was done by H and Kotzen themselves. Just brilliant. Damn, just saw that Kevin mixed it!!!

Last edited:
Solar fire features Nicko. his drumming is so fluid and better than enything he did with Maiden for such a long time. His sound is also so much better. And I think that the produciton on the SK album was done by H and Kotzen themselves. Just brilliant.
Yep, just listened to it again! :) I checked the credits, it's produced by Smith & Kotzen indeed, maybe Kevin was the sound engineer? I definitely read somewhere they worked with Kevin on this album too.

I still feel that the Britsih Lion songs do not flow that well TBH. They seem to be constructed by different parts. You need for eachpart to repeat for 8 or more times for the next one to come...only for them to be repeated again at some point. This is not the case for the SK songs.

I've loved Maiden for a long, long time. Since I hired Daniel, in fact. They are beyond criticism in my eyes.
But British Lion is fucking awful, and S|K is just another example of Adrian's never ending quest to create some bullshit American radio friendly Def Leppard / Bon Jovi bollocks which he's been doing since Silver & Gold.
Let it go, H! You're 60!

British Lion is ok. Typical radio rock. Nothing groundbreaking but I like to play both albums from time to time and I'm doing this not because Steve is involved.

Back