Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

The vinyl is going to sound great cause of the extra space but man they really went to great lengths to stretch it over three discs. The last three songs all take up a side each.

You could easily have this track listing on a double without losing a ton of fidelity:
Side 1:
Senjutsu
Stratego
Writing On the Wall
Runtime: ~17 min

Side 2:
Lost in a Lost World
Days of Future Past
The Time Machine
Runtime: ~20

Side 3:
Darkest Hour
Death of the Celts
Runtime: ~17

Side 4
The Parchment
Hell on Earth
Runtime: ~23 min

Side 4 might be pushing it but not by much.

Personal favourite:
"there’s songs about a time machine (The Time Machine) and a mystical parchment (The Parchment)";
closely followed by "Bruce Dickinson is feeling very pleased with himself. Even more so than usual."
Sounds like great storytelling. So if Hell on earth is abaout social criticism, there will be stuff for everyone

@The Dissident
Those were abnormally long album sides at the time and the original pressings definitely lose fidelity toward the end of the sides.

Arranging Death Of The Celts and The Parchment the other way around in the track list would have resolved the issue of exceeding maximum side length for a double vinyl album (and therefore less expensive to manufacture)…so I respect the final track list because it shows Steve (and band?) are adamant they want these ten songs heard in a specific order even if it means having to get up and raise the needle on the player an excessive number of times.

it shows Steve (and band?) are adamant they want these ten songs heard in a specific order even if it means having to get up and raise the needle on the player an excessive number of times.
I believe so. The last 3 songs = 34 mins! If the order wasn't important, it would have made sense to squeeze in a shortish song in between those 3 epics

Senjutsu ends with 3 epics in a row - just like The Final Frontier (which was not a good decision imo).

A short rocker written by Dave (between them) would be better. But if the songs are great... in TFF case, 2 out of 3 are.

This is true, but I'd assume the technology has gotten slightly better to allow for a hypothetical 23 min side to be fine.
Vinyl is vinyl. You can make it thicker to deepen the grooves and have good quality cartridges but ultimately the technology hasn't really improved since the 70's. It's still analogue after all, with all of its benefits and faults.

Somewhere in Time runs over 51 minutes so approximately 25 minutes on each side and it does get a bit sketchy towards the end of Alexander the Great. And that's with the 180g remaster. I shudder to think how the original wafer thin pressings sounded.

they don’t need anyone’s permission to play their own song.
Very true. I remember an interview with Steve (in 1983) in which he said that he was really pleased with POTO, but ''To Tame A Land'' is the best song he has ever written. But I don't think the song has big chances to be played live again (since it was played live only in 1983 during World Piece Tour).
- the 2005 tour was the perfect opportunity to bring this song back in the setlist.
The song Senjutsu, i am wondering if H came up with a riff infusing Japanese style scales? I am guessing the song will include some sort of atmospheric intro.
I think the melody of the riff or the triple-lead guitar harmonies will have some Japanese style melodies.

Atmospheric intro for the title track is a given... the sounds in the short trailer (which Maiden released) are from the title track imo.

Exactly. That's great.

Think of the excellent BNW and DOD tours.

The new songs fit so well with the older ones and are well received.

Open with new song, play another new one. Short classic like trooper. Then something unexpected but still quite popular(I'd kill for Futureal). More from the new album etc. So on until the end when they play NOTB, Hallowed etc
F*ck Trooper! They had so many great classic songs, but half of setlist's the same every tour. I dream to hear Futureal and Virus and some other never played Blaze's era songs live with Bruce. Same for good oldies like No Prayer For The Dying, Infinite Dreams, FHTE, ATG... hell, I can list forever. I was really happy when they've add ATSS in Maiden England'13 setlist. And also need more post-reunion songs such as Brave New World, Rainmaker... I mean if you're doing historical tours with only old songs, please do album tour setlists more varied.

Fuck everyone else, play the whole fucking album! Do it!

Then encore with:

The Wicker Man
Children of the Damned
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant
Iron Maiden
I'd change encore songs, but otherwise it's a great idea...
Something like:
Iron Maiden (finishing main set)

Encore:
Futureal
Infinite Dreams
Brave New World
No Prayer For The Dying
Wasted Years

Side 4
The Parchment
Hell on Earth
Runtime: ~23 min

Side 4 might be pushing it but not by much.
What I'm getting out of this is that somehow there apparently weren't 3 minutes or so they could cut from the last two songs on the record, which would've made them easily fit as a double LP/single CD album. I'm honestly a little puzzled by that, especially since Bruce's interview kind of makes it sound like Steve's songs weren't necessarily rock-solid compositions with no breathing room in any direction.

I also cant stand FOD, IM, Trooper, 666 on every live album, but the energy during these songs on concerts are over the top.

We all saw what was during FTGGOG this tour, people were taking piss break.

I also cant stand FOD, IM, Trooper, 666 on every live album, but the energy during these songs on concerts are over the top.

We all saw what was during FTGGOG this tour, people were taking piss break.
Not me and my friends I saw them with on a few occasions, we were screaming every word!

Back