Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Thanks for sharing the interview. It was a nice read.

Some interesting bits:

Bruce, someone being more intelligent than you does not mean that person is Alan Turing!

The guy seems to be in a wild goose chase judging by the results since Martin Birch retired!
It's generation thing, not Alan Turing. I work in digital marketing for last 13 years focusing on content and behavioral targeting which means that im quite good with computers and yet my 10 yo. Stepson in 2 days destroyed my YT and games blockades on his PC.

But its nice to see how engaged Bruce was in WotW and promotion.

It is not just a British problem though. I guess most of us would have heard older relatives in different countries moaning about the state of the world and reminiscing about how much better things were back when they were young.

Not at all. That's why I don't like the moaning, there are better ways to experience nostalgia.

Kerrang! said:
but there’s also the self-explanatory Churchillian surge of Darkest Hour

Bloody hell, not bloody Churchill again!!! :facepalm: Don't they have any other inspirational figures?

If we are going to talk about great British achievements, why not one song about James Watt? His machines made quite a lot of noise, so would fit well in a heavy metal song. Why not a song about Nye Bevan and the NHS instead? They were both transformative and helped people live longer so they could be in a rock band in their 60s!

It's generation thing, not Alan Turing. I work in digital marketing for last 13 years focusing on content and behavioral targeting which means that im quite good with computers and yet my 10 yo. Stepson in 2 days destroyed my YT and games blockades on his PC.

I do not believe random 10y.ods can "hack", therefore you did not do your job well enough.

I can assure you, if your 10y.o. sits down at a properly "locked computer", like one in the internet caffee or the terminal at the bank office, he'll get nowhere fast. That's really a non issue. It's not a generational thing. The devices kids and people operate today are made to be operated by idiots. Everyone has a device, all ages, all kinds of ape, dumber than average too. It's just that you have a certain mental barrier in flipping out your phone and then clicking every fucking thing there is on it, to see what happens. You don't need to do it, kids do.

I see it as this. You have a workshop, with all the tools, DIY starter kits, half built stuff, etc. But you also have a gigantic shelf full of ready to use toys. Hundreds of them. So when a kid takes down RC car from the shelf and starts playing with it, it's ok, but impressive is when a kid goes back to the deskboard and starts using tools to modify or make his own toys.

The former just means the toys, the bullshit, have become pervasively accessible.

I think you're very, very negative Ghost. I dare say you're hateful. The stuff you throw out in one day goes beyond cynicism.
Did someone in the band kill a family member of you or something?

Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black? :lol:

Growing old has made me more cynical about promotional interviews (I always remember Francis Rossi's quote about how he would only see his favourite artists give an interview when they had something to sell :lol: ), you know? I can't wait to read Nicko say this is the best album they've ever done! :lol:

Cynical? Of course. Hateful? Not in the slightest. It is music (from my favourite band), not something to get your knickers in a twist. ;)

I can't wait to get my copy on 3rd September so I can enjoy some new Maiden music at last.

Hopefully Senjutsu won't be a second DoD (in terms of lyrics)!
In the Kerrang interview Bruce said that this song is about some tribe defending the wall.
“Steve came up with the first track and said it was called Senjutsu,” he says. “He said it was Japanese for ‘the art of war’. And I went, ‘You sure?’ So I looked it up on the Google Bible, and it seems there’s a few different meanings for it, but we’ll go with ‘the art of war’.
“I’m not sure what war [though],” he continues. “I looked at the lyrics and I thought, ‘This sounds like someone’s been binge-watching Game Of Thrones!’ There’s northern people coming down from the grasslands, there’s a wall, and they’ve got to protect the wall at all costs… I said, ‘Are you talking about the Great Wall Of China here? In which case we’re mixing our metaphors a lot.’ And Steve went, ‘No, not the Great Wall Of China. It’s just a wall.’ It doesn’t matter, really – it’s a good story, and a great vocal to sing on.”

Here it is.

I stand alone and gaze upon the battlefield
Wasteland is all that’s left after the fight
And now I’m searching a new way to defeat my enemy
Bloodshed I’ve seen enough of death and pain

I will run, they will hunt me in vain
I will hide, they’ll be searching
I’ll regroup, feign retreat they’ll pursue
Coup de grâce I will win but never fight

That’s the Art of War Senjutsu!!

Breaking the will to fight among the enemy
Force them to hunt me they will play my game
And play by my rules I will be close but still untouchable
No more will I see suffering and pain

They will find me no more I’ll be gone
I will have them surrounded
They will yield without fight overrun
Coup de grâce I will win but never fight

Broken and lost
Tired of war
They’ll surrender to me
Caught in my trap
There’s no way out
Fail never again never again

Oh wait, that was Sabaton, sorry.

I do not believe random 10y.ods can "hack", therefore you did not do your job well enough.

I can assure you, if your 10y.o. sits down at a properly "locked computer", like one in the internet caffee or the terminal at the bank office, he'll get nowhere fast. That's really a non issue. It's not a generational thing. The devices kids and people operate today are made to be operated by idiots. Everyone has a device, all ages, all kinds of ape, dumber than average too. It's just that you have a certain mental barrier in flipping out your phone and then clicking every fucking thing there is on it, to see what happens. You don't need to do it, kids do.

I see it as this. You have a workshop, with all the tools, DIY starter kits, half built stuff, etc. But you also have a gigantic shelf full of ready to use toys. Hundreds of them. So when a kid takes down RC car from the shelf and starts playing with it, it's ok, but impressive is when a kid goes back to the deskboard and starts using tools to modify or make his own toys.

The former just means the toys, the bullshit, have become pervasively accessible.
No, he just learned about host file on Windows. I cant lock everything because of online learning during Covid. Simple as that.

In the Kerrang interview Bruce said that this song is about some tribe defending the wall.
“Steve came up with the first track and said it was called Senjutsu,” he says. “He said it was Japanese for ‘the art of war’. And I went, ‘You sure?’ So I looked it up on the Google Bible, and it seems there’s a few different meanings for it, but we’ll go with ‘the art of war’.
“I’m not sure what war [though],” he continues. “I looked at the lyrics and I thought, ‘This sounds like someone’s been binge-watching Game Of Thrones!’ There’s northern people coming down from the grasslands, there’s a wall, and they’ve got to protect the wall at all costs… I said, ‘Are you talking about the Great Wall Of China here? In which case we’re mixing our metaphors a lot.’ And Steve went, ‘No, not the Great Wall Of China. It’s just a wall.’ It doesn’t matter, really – it’s a good story, and a great vocal to sing on.”
Oh yes. thank you. I mean the whole album. Sorry that I have expressed myself misleadingly. I don't like this kind of social criticism on DoD. It is cheezy and weird.

I am afraid that there will be enough social criticism. Lost in the Lost World may be about it and definitely Hell On Earth.

Back