New Single - The Writing on the Wall

I like this forum a lot more BEFORE any music is released from maiden. Because afterwards it becomes a whining competition about production, how its not like the classics, not babylonian power metal etc etc. Those who liked the song should seriously consider staying away from all the negativity here. At least give the song a chance for 24 hours. Jeez.

I like this forum a lot more BEFORE any music is released from maiden. Because afterwards it becomes a whining competition about production, how its not like the classics, not babylonian power metal etc etc. Those who liked the song should seriously consider staying away from all the negativity here. At least give the song a chance for 24 hours. Jeez.
So you hate different opinions. Oh and if you think that there is negativity here, stay away from any other metal forum because yeah..,.things are really ugly right now.

The lyrics:

Across a painted desert lies a train of vagabonds
All that’s left of what we were it’s what we have become
Once our empires glorious but now the empire’s gone
The dead gave us the time to live and now our time is done

Now we are victorious we’ve become our slaves
A land of hope and glory building graveyards for the brave

Have you seen the writing on the wall
Have you seen that writing
Can you see the riders on the storm
Can you see them riding ~ can you see them riding

Holding on to jury is that all we ever know
Ignorance our judge and jury all we’ve got to show
From Hollywood to Babylon ~ holy war to kingdom come
On a trail of dust and ashes ~ when the burning sky is done
A tide of change is coming and that is what you fear
The earthquake is a coming but you don’t want to hear
You’re just too blind to see

Have you seen the writing on the wall
Have you seen that writing
Can you see the riders on the storm
Can you see them riding
Can you see them riding. . . Riding next to you

New song is excellent, guaranteed work and I love it. Now been like 8 times in row listening to this.
I liked the moments when waited for the video to start, I should have measured my pulse then.
Anyways, I really liked the song, I've said it here and elsewhere already couple times but it is good.
Being first song from almost 6 years, it was evidently surprising to get this little bluesy western mid-tempo song.
But the feeling and flow is great, I can so imagine this going well in live concert. No doubt about that.
At last got some new material and hopefully album will be soon out for us.

I feel strange to write these same things of the same song for couple times, but the new is definitely what I waited for and it's great.

Last edited:

Some albums are really badly produced, e.g. DoD or TFF. TBOS was significantly better. TWOTW sounds very good.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NEW IRON MAIDEN!
Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to say the song is quite good! I did miss out on all the setup, though, since I was away from the forum for a couple of weeks. I hope this is going to be a sign of good things to come!

So you hate different opinions. Oh and if you think that there is negativity here, stay away from any other metal forum because yeah..,.things are really ugly right now.
I don't care about other forums. This is maidenfans.com so the least i expect is that fans will give the song 24 hours to listen, digest before tearing it to shreds.

However, you are entitled to your opinion and you might think there is no redeeming quality to this song. Fine with me. My post was not directed to you but to those who are just blown away by a new maiden release after 6 long years and want to simply come here and share that excitement

In many ways, Social commentary/criticism in the songs is so uninspiring and dull... Unless you go Metallica route, when social commentary is complimented with ferocious music. Give me story and dream to hold on to. Give me fantasy and adrenaline rush. In this aspect, this song gives me No Prayer album vibes :D Will wait for an album to pass a final judgement.

Let's not forget for the last couple of albums the premier single has been the arguably weakest song on the album. I doubt this is any different.
Not for me. Every lead single from all reunion albums is not the weakest song on its respective album imo.

I do hope this single to be the weakest song in the upcoming new album.

In many ways, Social commentary/criticism in the songs is so uninspiring and dull... Unless you go Metallica route, when social commentary is complimented with ferocious music. Give me story and dream to hold on to. Give me fantasy and adrenaline rush. In this aspect, this song gives me No Prayer vibes :D Will wait for an album to pass a final judgement.
AMOLAD

Back