NOW READING

I'm doing the best I can with my bachelor's thesis, so I'm reading Guardini, Norris-Clarke, Pinckaers, Aquinas and others, not having much time reading anything else.

Still, I managed to finish The Eye of the World and I'm currently 160 pages deep within The Great Hunt, the second book of WoT.

Also, every Slav has at least passive vague understanding of pretty much any other Slav language (given that he learns the Cyrillic, if it's not used by his mother tongue) and a varying degree of an ability to speak or at least create coherent sentences in the Slav languages that geographically lie the closest, especially
Given the right amount of beer

This is a random question but one I’ve been meaning to ask — which languages do you know? German, Bulgarian, and English I think? Are there any others?
Russian. My German is the worst of the three though - to write a simple sentence like this one for example I'd have to check at least a word or two in the process. And then I'd probably make some grammar mistake.

Also, every Slav has at least passive vague understanding of pretty much any other Slav language
Except for @Night Prowler , that is. ;)

My German is the worst of the three though - to write a simple sentence like this one for example I'd have to check at least a word or two in the process. And then I'd probably make some grammar mistake.
I definitely feel that. I think I’m better at speaking it than writing it, but I would never consider myself more than ‘conversational’ in it.

I definitely feel that. I think I’m better at speaking it than writing it, but I would never consider myself more than ‘conversational’ in it.
The really shameful part is that I graduated the German-language high school in Sofia back in the day so in theory German should have been my best or at least on par with the other two. Lack of practice has taken its toll alas.

Just started Do What You Want, the semi-autobiography of Bad Religion. Decent little read so far. The prose is nothing special, but it's got a lot of quotes and has me engaged to listen back to the entire discography. Have you seen this, @Forostar?

@MrKnickerbocker I recommend the decades concerts they'll do every Saturday in June. They did it last year and it was awesome. This band knows how to kill time and please the fans. One gig for every decade! These are livestreams. Go for it!
Such an awesome discography, for me especially the 1980s and 1990s. It's so cool that they play so many songs.

@MrKnickerbocker I recommend the decades concerts they'll do every Saturday in June. They did it last year and it was awesome. This band knows how to kill time and please the fans. One gig for every decade! These are livestreams. Go for it!
Such an awesome discography, for me especially the 1980s and 1990s. It's so cool that they play so many songs.
Sounds very cool! I'd love to hear some of those early songs in a modern setting (with much better sound and Greg actually knowing how to use his voice)!

E.T.A. Hoffmann, Lebens-Ansichten des Katers Murr nebst fragmentarischer Biographie des Kapellmeisters Johannes Kreisler in zufälligen Makulaturblättern
Finally found it in German earlier this month.
Hoffmann and Kater Murr will have to wait a little bit unfortunately, because I just bought Bjørn Andreas Bull-Hansen's Jomsviking: Danehæren (in Bulgarian).
Guys, whenever there is an English translation, go for it.

Finished reading Total F*cking Godhead: The Biography of Chris Cornell.

I read it practically in one sitting. Although the book has little new information, especially in terms of Chris's personal life, the amount of emotions it evoked is almost overwhelming. No one sings like him anymore, indeed...

Finished reading Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny. Book was awarded 1968 Hugo Award for Best Novel. Set in the distant future. Some humans are almost gods, they can reincarnate and have super powers. All of this is in a Hindu-Buddhist-mythology infused world setting. Beautifully written but left me cold and bored. There's no real protagonist and his struggle. Sam wants to dethrone Gods, but does it in a very buddhistic way :) I am disapointed. Zelazny's, A Night in the Lonesome October is much simpler, yet carries so much more warmth. The Chronicles of Amber, in my view, is better also.
(English is not my native language)

Last edited:
The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. Felt it was time to acquaint myself with the inspiration behind one of my all-time favorite songs.

Finished reading Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny. Book was awarded 1968 Hugo Award for Best Novel. Set in the distant future. Some humans are almost gods, they can reincarnate and have super powers. All of this is in a Hindu-Buddhist-mythology infused world setting. Beautifully written but left me cold and bored. There's no real protagonist and his struggle. Sam wants to dethrone Gods, but does it in a very buddhistic way :) I am disapointed. Zelazny's, A Night in the Lonesome October is much simpler, yet carries so much more warmth. The Chronicles of Amber, in my view, is better also.
(English is not my native language)
Well I personally think Lord of Light is one of his really good books, better than the bloated Amber chronicles but it's a matter of taste obviously.
A Night in the Lonesome October is a lovely book indeed, an artist having fun - or at least that's the feeling I got from it.
But I still think his absolute masterpiece, a hidden gem one might say, is Creatures of Light and Darkness. There is nothing like it, plain and simple.

Back