Here we go again...Iron Maiden sued over the rights of 6 songs

Kind of torn on this a bit. They should protect their interests but....given that they've had their own legal issues recently, maybe they should think about letting this go? Am seeing this brought up a couple times already.
Now if the game had a female, undead corpse running around named "Edie".....then they should go all in.
Come to think of it, has Eddie ever had a girlfriend? (Women in Uniform cover doesn't count)
Well, on the Twilight Zone artwork, the photo from Eddie says "To Charlotte, all my Love, Eddie xxxx" , so I would say there was meant to be a romance there somewhere!

He was also in a relationship with Jessica Rabbit:
220px-Bring_Your_Daughter..._to_the_Slaughter_%28Iron_Maiden_single_-_cover_art%29.jpg

The question is; does this take revenue away from the band/company? The article that I read mentioned that the game play is a copy of Maiden's game. I know nothing about this so feel free to correct me. Does this game give people their fill of Iron Maiden? Are they less likely to buy an album or ticket because of this game? I dont think so. Correct me if im wrong.
I know a hair salon thats sign is written in Maiden style letters. It has been going for 7 years. No court case yet. Maybe there is a personal issue with this game and its creators.
Im not sure where this is comin from but I suspect a deeper motive, especially considering that Maidens iconic logo was in the public relam before Steve 'created' it.

The article that I read mentioned that the game play is a copy of Maiden's game. I know nothing about this so feel free to correct me.
The gameplay of Ion Maiden has absolutely nothing to do with Legacy of the Beast, and if the suit alleges that then it's one hell of a reach.

The gameplay of Ion Maiden has absolutely nothing to do with Legacy of the Beast, and if the suit alleges that then it's one hell of a reach.

I read that it's based on classic shoot em up games from the 90's. Ed Hunter is a shoot em up game from the 90's.

I read that it's based on classic shoot em up games from the 90's. Ed Hunter is a shoot em up game from the 90's.
Nah, not at all. Ed Hunter is a rather unremarkable on-rails shooter (a now-dead genre) using prerendered graphics and gameplay wise is markedly distinct from Ion Maiden, which a first person shooter built on top of 90s era Build engine games like Duke Nukem 3D. The similarities are that you shoot things and your perspective is in the first person, but the style of gameplay is totally different and it'd be a big misrepresentation of the genres to claim otherwise. Indeed, nowhere is it alleged that Ion Maiden has anything to do with Ed Hunter.

Ironically enough, there's actually a Build engine game by the name of PowerSlave (incidentally called Exhumed in Europe for some mysterious reason), released in '96. No points for guessing the setting of the game!

I don't think this lawsuit came out of the blue like the headlines would have us all believe.

Poking around on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website I found a bunch of documents relating to this (All of these documents are public record). Apparently 3D Realms Entertainment ApS tried to register the name ION MAIDEN on Mar. 20, 2018, Iron Maiden Holdings Limited filed an opposition and 3D Realms filed a document stating "applicant hereby expressly abandons the application for trademark registration" on Dec. 28, 2018.

Sounds to me like they tried to trademark the name ION Maiden over a year ago, Iron Maiden Holdings Ltd opposed, and they withdrew the application. But, they still went ahead and named their game knowing that the Maiden camp opposed.

I'm no lawyer so I can't comment on the details of the documents but 3D Realms must have known this was coming...

It sort of changes my opinion on the whole thing.

The game was already out on early access by the time they made the trademark application. I think what happened here was they went with a funny name and ended up realizing they're going to have trouble registering said name as a trademark thanks to the band and things presumably snowballed from there behind the scenes.

Really, we don't have the complete picture here so it's hard to say what exactly might've transpired but it's not like they can go "oops" and just rename the game and pretend it never happened, anyway. Maiden Holdings would've still likely come after them.

Hate to be anal but the genre is called rail shooter. Like duck hunt of Nintendo.
('shoot em up' is an unrelated genre)

Is it true the case was dropped last autumn?
You know anything about that @Luisma ?

Hmmmm last time I heard it was still going, however there were some discussions between Dennis and his lawyer about the actual possibility of winning the case due to the fact that they were lacking some of the evidence they thought they would have and weren't able to get.

I also know that Dennis has decided to retire completely from the music bussiness (at least for now) and I don't even think he still has plans to release anything (book + other things).

Hmmmm last time I heard it was still going, however there were some discussions between Dennis and his lawyer about the actual possibility of winning the case due to the fact that they were lacking some of the evidence they thought they would have and weren't able to get.

I also know that Dennis has decided to retire completely from the music bussiness (at least for now) and I don't even think he still has plans to release anything (book + other things).
Thank you Luisma!

Back