GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Hey, I agree with you that Painkiller is awesome (and along with Sin After Sin and Defenders quite probably my favourite JP album), but even after all those years I still couldn't get the appeal of Metal Meltdown, Between the Hammer and the Anvil and - duh - Battle Hymn (though that doesn't count) and I usually skip those nowadays. Plus the a capella opening of All Guns Blazing is... specific.

"Flame Thrower"
The weakest song on the record, but it’s still a lot of fun and the riff is quite roaring.
"Spectre"
A dark song with really slinky guitar work that hits hard.
"Traitors Gate"
A building intro leads to one of the most heavy-hitting riffs in their whole discography and it never lets up after. The instrumental section is full of twisting and turning knock-out punches.
"No Surrender"
Short but fucking sweet. A catchy heavy metal single with no weak points.
"Lone Wolf"
A really underrated, darker, bluesier song that’s still heavy as fuck. The lyrics are also pretty interesting, and I interpret them to be about gun violence in America. Regardless though it’s one of the ‘hidden gems’ of the album.
"Sea of Red"
A really beautiful acoustic song that turns into a heavy, grandiose finale. The guitar is on fire in the bridge and I love those choirs.

I dunno, this stretch of the album is as good as any other stretch. Whereas Painkiller starts with three great songs, a pretty fun song in “Leather Rebel”, then gets silly with “Metal Meltdown”, finds its footing again with “Night Crawler”, has some weak points in BTHATA, has “Touch of Evil” which depends on my mood, and finishes with “One Shot at Glory”, which isn’t as inspiring as it tries to be.

I still thing it’s a great album, but not nearly on the same level as Firepower. But that’s just my opinion, which I must’ve forgotten to specify in my previous post.

Also oops I did age them a bit. My bad.

Most of it’s great but there are certain points where the melody gets weird for me. After the chorus, for instance.

The weakest song on the record, but it’s still a lot of fun and the riff is quite roaring.

A dark song with really slinky guitar work that hits hard.

A building intro leads to one of the most heavy-hitting riffs in their whole discography and it never lets up after. The instrumental section is full of twisting and turning knock-out punches.

Short but fucking sweet. A catchy heavy metal single with no weak points.

A really underrated, darker, bluesier song that’s still heavy as fuck. The lyrics are also pretty interesting, and I interpret them to be about gun violence in America. Regardless though it’s one of the ‘hidden gems’ of the album.

A really beautiful acoustic song that turns into a heavy, grandiose finale. The guitar is on fire in the bridge and I love those choirs.

I dunno, this stretch of the album is as good as any other stretch. Whereas Painkiller starts with three great songs, a pretty fun song in “Leather Rebel”, then gets silly with “Metal Meltdown”, finds its footing again with “Night Crawler”, has some weak points in BTHATA, has “Touch of Evil” which depends on my mood, and finishes with “One Shot at Glory”, which isn’t as inspiring as it tries to be.

I still thing it’s a great album, but not nearly on the same level as Firepower. But that’s just my opinion, which I must’ve forgotten to specify in my previous post.

Also oops I did age them a bit. My bad.
I have not forgotten your review of Painkiller, Diesel. That hacked in pretty hard. If that's what you think, fine. But I think you may suffer somewhat of "new metal in my time is cooler than stuff that was done before".
You can accuse me of "old metal is cooler than later stuff", but Painkiller. is. the. template. Metal embodied.

Come on. Every song great? Lone Wolf for example?

The only song that just reaches the status of "good" to me is Children of the Sun. The rest are just that - Great. I think the album as a whole falls slightly below Painkiller. Slightly.

And 99% of the metal community thinks Firepower is a great record, one of Priest's best, but hey, who cares.

:p

Last edited:
At the end of the day, this is a classic metal board so this all makes sense.

Match 1 shouldn’t be this close in literally any way. But Running Wild is classic metal, so Dream Theater and their far superior album are only barely pulling ahead.

Bruce is winning Match 2 and should be.

I love Firepower. It is the second greatest Priest record ever made, IMO, but it has absolutely no right to be beating a superior Dream Theater album this much.

The only way you could get me to vote against Brave New World is by putting up next to Symphony X, who, again, have the superior album here. BNW is my Maiden album. It is the album that broke the band for me and I will always have it as my number 1 or 2 Maiden pick. But, objectively, V is superior.

Some of us you are prog metalheads rather than (heavy) metalheads so yeah, that way there is the unavoidable handicap of not liking most albums in this game.

The only song that just reaches the status of "good" to me is Children of the Sun. The rest are just that - Great. I think the album as a whole falls slightly below Painkiller. Slightly.
I think I make it my third favourite Priest album, after Stained Class and Painkiller.

Reactions: Yax
I have nothing bad to say about Firepower, it's my second favorite JP album too. Took me a while to decide between that and Awake. Painkiller on the other hand is head and shoulders above them both.

Come on, this is no contest. Firepower is like the successor of Painkiller, but it's NOT Painkiller! Painkiller has highs to compete with the highs on Awake, Firepower has great songs but none of them are at the level of A Mind Beside Itself, The Mirror, Scarred... Or Painkiller, A Touch of Evil, One Shot at Glory...

But I think you suffer from "new metal in my time is cooler than stuff that was done before".
You really think I suffer from... whatever that is?

I can think of maybe three or four bands that formed after 2000 that I consider myself a fan of. My favorite Iron Maiden album is from 1984. Most of the big names of ‘modern metal’ sound blah to me. I genuinely don’t know how you would reach that conclusion if you knew anything about me. I listen to music from all different decades and my favorite albums range from the ‘60s to the 2010s. If you also think that old stuff can’t be bettered, why is Painkiller your favorite album and not Elvis’ Christmas Album? Must be because you suffer from “new music in my time is cooler than stuff that was done before”.

Some of us you are prog metalheads rather than (heavy) metalheads so yeah, that way there is the unavoidable handicap of not liking most albums in this game.
Oh shut the fuck up.

Slightly. Unbelievable man.
Well yes. That's the beauty of Priest's discography. They don't run with the same Motörhead or AC/DC formula all the time. If a crossover between Heavy and Speed metal, all out assault was what I was looking for, then no, Firepower wouldn't be it. But it stand stall on its own merits.

Back