GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Immortal ices Entombed. There's another Entombed album, and it'll show up in League 4.
Gamma Ray barely zaps Rainbow, ending the longest current GMAC run. Rainbow, too, returns in League 4.
Judas Priest blows away Alice in Chains. They have another more famous album coming in League 2.
Dream Theater extinguishes Deep Purple. They, too, come back in League 4.

B_L_A_Z_E_-_Blood_And_Belief_cover.jpg

Blaze Bayley - Blood and Belief (2004)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43, @Shmoolikipod, @Yax
League 6 - Match 29vs.
Iron_Maiden-Dance_of_Death.jpg

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (2003)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard
Previous Rounds:
League 14: Defeated King Diamond - Conspiracy 21-9.
League 13: Defeated Samson - Head On 21-6.
League 12: Defeated Ghost - Prequelle 15-7.
League 11: Defeated Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale 18-7.
League 10: Defeated Rammstein - Reise Reise 24-6.
League 9: Defeated Amaranthe - The Nexus 22-1.
League 8: Defeated Epica - The Holographic Principle 20-7.
League 7: Defeated Saxon - Unleash the Beast 21-6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meliora.JPG

Ghost - Meliora (2015)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @LooseCannon
League 6 - Match 30vs.
Spreading_The_Disease.jpg

Anthrax - Spreading the Disease (1985)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Black Wizard, @Whooten
Previous Rounds:
League 7: Defeated Tremonti - Dying Machine 16-9.

Amon_amarth_oden.jpg

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side (2006)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Night Prowler, @Saapanael
League 6 - Match 31vs.
Amorphis_-_Skyforger.JPG

Amorphis - Skyforger (2009)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Spambot
Previous Rounds:
League 10: Defeated Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame 16-11.
League 9: Defeated Powerwolf - The Sacrifice of Sin 15-6.
League 8: Defeated Sabbat - History of a Time to Come 15-13.
League 7: Defeated Mastodon - Crack the Skye 15-9.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rush_Clockwork_Angels_artwork.png

Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Midnight, @mckindog, @The Dissident
League 6 - Match 32vs.
Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

Rush - Hemispheres (1978)

How it got here

Maidenfans Nominators: @Midnight
Previous Rounds:
League 10: Defeated Rush - Permanent Waves 15-11.
League 9: Defeated Rosetta - Wake/Lift 19-3.
League 8: Defeated The Michael Schenker Group - The Michael Schenker Group 19-8.
League 7: Defeated Gojira - Magma 20-5.

Blaze - I was a big fan at the time this album came out, first two albums were brilliant, but I was hugely disappointed by this. First off Jeff Singer was a huge loss, the guy they got was a good drummer, but he didn't have the creativity of Singer who I felt stole the show on a lot of the first two albums. Also, the subject matter of the lyrics were so depressing, all pity me pity me stuff going on as if Blaze was the most mistreated man in the history of music, rather than the reality that he was an average singer who got a gig way above his ability deserved. Also the music was dumbed down a lot from the previous two albums. The title track has a great riff though. I saw two gigs on this tour and it was a good night out. (setlist for the first one here , I was at the following night in Belfast too)

Iron Maiden - opinion given before, No More Lies seems to be one a lot of fans dislike but I think is a brilliant track.

Iron Maiden with the win, a good match up with two albums that were out at the same time.

Ghost - I'm a huge Ghost fan, I've been on board since the debut came out ( and it was one of my nominations) easily my favourite new band in 25 years, this is probably their second best album featuring probably their least commercial stuff, so that might appeal to those who oppose hits and hooks. Cirice might be their best track. Deus in Absentia is a bit shit though, the melody reminds me of Madness "Welcome to the House of Fun"

Anthrax - opinion given last round

Ghost with the win, probably the toughest choice so far in the game for me, two bands that I'm a fan of and two of their strongest albums.

Amon Amarth - ok music, bad vocals

Amorphis - ok music, bad vocals

I'm going to vote for Amorphis, just on the basis I've probably heard a few more of the tracks since it's been in a few rounds but neither are the Mae West

Clockwork Angels - chosen track not doing a lot for me

Hemispheres - track won't play but I listened to the whole album after one of the earlier rounds

Hemispheres with the win, 70's Rush is more to my tastes, of what I've heard from them anyway.

Last edited:
Blood And Belief has some cool tracks but by no means can top Dance Of Death (as much as I wanted to kick it out). Iron Maiden.

Ghost is one of the most over hyped modern rock bands. Spreading The Disease is a classic. Anthrax.

Skyforger is simply boring. And although it's far from my taste Amon Amarth sound way more appealing.

Clockwork Angels is really cool (especially for such a late release) but Hemispheres is on another level.

Last edited:
My feelings about this Blaze album are pretty similar to my feelings about Tenth Dimension, but this album is just a shade weaker than that one. Blaze’s vocals are a bit less controlled here, and while there are a couple of great tracks in “Life And Death” and “Regret”, there’s also the embarrassingly bad “Hollow Head” (which was inexplicably the single) and the pretty questionable “The Path And The Way”. Again, it would never occur to me to consider this among the best albums metal has to offer. Of course, the same holds true for this Iron Maiden album, which is bottom-third material for them and only has one great track (“Rainmaker”) and a number of weaker ones (“Gates Of Tomorrow”, “Journeyman”, and the ridiculously overrated “Paschendale”), though the rest of the album is reasonably good. It also has serious production issues that were only partially addressed by the 2015 remaster. While both albums are in merely “OK to good” territory overall, I think one of them is a bit more consistent — so, sorry Shmoowickiyax 33 1/3, but I have to go with @Black Wizard ’s choice here. Winner: Iron Maiden

Ghost is a weird combination of 70s prog, 70s pop, and early metal styles with strangely calm singing, which my brain keeps wanting to refer to as “wimp metal”. It’s interesting and sometimes well-written, but it doesn’t excite me in any way. It’s up against another overrated Anthrax album that has solid riffage, but weak songwriting and production, and also fails to excite me in any way. Sorry, Wack Oozard, but at least Cannonfed Lick’s nominee holds my interest. Winner: Ghost

This Amon Amarth album has some nice soloing and interludes, but is otherwise really samey, and of course is chock full of godawful extreme vocals. Meanwhile, this Amorphis album has much more appealing folk-infused melodic music, and is probably the best album of theirs that I’ve been exposed to so far. It also has at least 90% less Cookie Monster than its competitor. Sorry, Saapanight Prowlanael, but @Spambot ’s choice takes this one easily. Winner: Amorphis

This last one is a brutal match-up. Clockwork Angels is a great album with a few really stellar tracks on it like “BU2B”, “The Anarchist”, and “The Garden”, and a second tier of still great tracks like “Caravan”, “Carnies”, and “The Wreckers”. “BU2B2” and “Wish Them Well” are a bit weaker, but everything else is solidly good. An amazing turn for a band so far into their career. But it’s up against Hemispheres, the best of their 70s albums, which sort of cheats because it’s only 4 tracks, and two of them are excellent epics. Clockwork Angels has higher highs and lower lows, while the overall quality of Hemispheres is slightly higher. By the numbers I probably ought to pick Hemispheres — but Clockwork Angels elevates itself with the quality of its overarching concept, and it’s the heavier of the two albums, and its best songs are just so good. And there will probably be pro-Hemispheres bias from people who are more familiar with that album. So, screw it. Sorry, @Midnight, but I’m going with your identical one-third-brother The Mckidnightdoggident’s nominee here. Winner: Rush - Clockwork Angels

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence vs The Odyssey should be a real doozy. Same goes for Firepower vs The X Factor.
I think that second one should be more of a real snoozy, though it will be another good test of the limits of Maiden bias.

I would have a tough time deciding between Firepower and The X Factor. I love the latter so much, but the former is such a metal masterclass and probably deserves the win more. But TXF is just such an emotional ride and it always leaves me breathless by the end... I’ll really have to decide based on the overall voting.

Also The Odyssey is way better. Dream Theater aren’t even in the same ballpark as Symphony X. As good as that album is, they’re mostly just wankery with interesting ideas that don’t often work well in execution and they’re definitely not as emotionally involving as SX are. Not to mention the fact that Symphony X have a terrific singer and DT just throw a block of cheese at the microphone. Easy choice, but I’m sure MaidenFans is gonna yonk the blonk on that round.

Back