Iron Maiden songs – a rough overview of their “live history”

Actually, I seem to remember it was the studio version with some audience noise dubbed in.

I didn't compare it to the death on the road version, I just listened to see if it sounded familiar so it probably is the studio version :lol:

I think it is important to note the following thing:

Aces High, Caught Somewhere In Time, Out Of The Silent Planet and The Final Frontier (Satellite 15...) - the intro of all those songs is never played live (it was played through the PA system).

I think it is important to note the following thing:

Aces High, Caught Somewhere In Time, Out Of The Silent Planet and The Final Frontier (Satellite 15...) - the intro of all those songs is never played live (it was played through the PA system).
The only exception to this would be "The Number of the Beast". When the spoken intro tape failed to start, Bruce made up by reciting the bit:

Some songs have minor changes live:

Sanctuary - the bit with the crowd participation just before the end of the song.
BYD... TTS - has a ''yeah-yeah'' intro from Bruce.
DOD - has a voice tape intro live.
TAATG - it was shorter live in 1998.
OOTSP - the intro was skipped in 2001.
MITRM - the intro was skipped in 2005.
FHTE - it was longer live in Donington '92.
Running Free and Drifter - both are longer live.
Paschendale - has a intro tape with sound effects and Bruce's voice.
WED and Revelations - both have intro tapes (LOTB tour + Early Days tour for WED too).

Last edited:
Some songs have minor changes live:

Sanctuary - the bit with the crowd participation just before the end of the song.
BYD... TTS - has a ''yeah-yeah'' intro from Bruce.
DOD - has a voice tape intro live.
TAATG - it was shorter live in 1998.
MITRM - the intro was skipped in 2005.
FHTE - it was longer live in Donington '92.
Running Free and Drifter - both are longer live.
Paschendale - has a intro tape with sound effects and Bruce's voice.
WED and Revelations - have a intro tapes (LOTB tour + Early Days tour for WED too).

Sometimes there is only 1 verse after the solos in Killers and Where Eagles Dare live, and sometime the intro of Revelations is only played twice rather than 4 times.

Sometimes there is only 1 verse after the solos in Killers and Where Eagles Dare live, and sometime the intro of Revelations is only played twice rather than 4 times.
If I'm not mistaken, ''Drifter'' was also changed live during the Early Days tour (at least in Ullevi 2005) - Adrian's solo was shorter and they added a third solo played by Janick just before the end of the song.

Update:

I decided to change this:

Invasion: 1, 2 (played on Adrian Smith's first concert @ Brunel University, Uxbridge, England (waiting for confirmation), and probably also on the next 1-3 gigs)
Women in Uniform: 2 (played on Adrian Smith's first concert @ Brunel University, Uxbridge, England; (waiting for confirmation), probably also on the next 1-7 gigs; at least it was played in Newcastle)

into:

Invasion: 1
Women in Uniform
: 2 (played in Newcastle, perhaps also on some other of Adrian Smith's first Maiden gigs
)

Last edited:
Of all the 43 never played live songs, I want to see the most:

Alexander The Great
Childhood's End
Deja-Vu
Empire Of The Clouds
Face In The Sand
Isle Of Avalon
Judas Be My Guide
Montségur
Mother Russia
Only The Good Die Young
Shadows Of The Valley
Starblind
The Duellists
The Nomad
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

@Kalata started (and I added to) an overview of songs that were played but never appeared on video footage (official, unofficial, does not matter).
Included some songs without audio proof: most probably played live in the seventies, and in one case 1984.

1975-1980:
01 Strange World
02 Burning Ambition
(a wild guess, but probably a good one, since it is one of Steve's oldest songs and it would make sense if that was played, e.g. in a time when the band did not have many songs yet (maybe the band stated that it was played, can't remember where at the moment)
03 Highway Road in Time
04 Jailbreak
05 Prodigal Son
06 I've Got the Fire
07 The Ides of March
08 Invasion
09 Women in Uniform

1981:
10 Twilight Zone
11 Genghis Khan

1984:
12 Back in the Village (In 1985 Adrian said it was dropped from the set (beginning of World Slavery Tour in Poland), unless he was talking about a rehearsal. In the early nineties he said Maiden never played it. See Pages 5, 6 and 12 of this thread)

1984-1985:
13 Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)

1986:
14 The Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner

1998:
15 Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

post-1998: nothing escapes us anymore.

More 1970s songs @Magnus ?

Last edited:
Back