Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

Well, I work in marketing. I didn't believe this for a second. they could have designed a calendar a year ago, realize that the concerts will not take place, check when the premiere of the album will be possible, and adjust the details of the album to it. More than once, product launches were postponed and I had to improvise. :)

I'm based on the fact that the virus was not a global problem at the time of the live recording. Most likely, Rod and Steve's words are the closest to the truth and the calendar and tweet are at best winking at the fans and an innocent joke.

Actually, Maiden made it seem like they have planned this since last year! The 2021 calendar had the mexican event shirt for October, and they wrote on Twitter they play the long game at Maiden Towers.

I think they are talking bullshit at Maiden towers.

The Mexican artwork was there on the calendar quite probably to highlight the release of the same Trooper beer with a different limited edition label to commemorate the Mexican day of the dead.

Just had my first playthrough. I remember Hallowed and Revelations being standout vocally. Surely they are from a different night to something like WED

The mix has been well covered, it’s real bad. Drums, bass and vocals are way too overpowering.

The crowd noise, especially in Revelations sounds awful.

Steve’s backing vocals in RTTH are way louder than what they should be.

First impressions after one listening. From what I've listened to in the anticipated releases (TSOTC, Icarus), I didn't expect anything different. Technically, Maiden live productions completely switched gears since 'En Vivo'. Nicko performs greatly, but I definitely don't like how the drums sound in the mix since he switched to Sonor. The crowd noise did sound awful, keyboards too loud in some parts. It's more or less the same impression of TBOS LC. I'm always happy with new Maiden stuff, it keeps my ears busy for some days or weeks, but I miss 2000-2013 so much.

Well, this live album (at least) sounds better than ARLDO and LAD '92 live albums.

Last edited:
Honestly not the best sound. But once I got past that, there were so many peculiarities about this album. I have tons of fun listening to this.

Further thought: I see more charm than ugliness to the fact that this sounds more like an enhanced bootleg rather than a proper live album. God knows that I've spent enough time listening to bootleg recordings of Iron Maiden stuff. It would be contradictory of me to say something different than that.

Last edited:
I don't know if that's just me, but every time the crowd sings chorus (aces high, fear of the dark etc.) I can't understand single word :D

I think they are talking bullshit at Maiden towers.

The Mexican artwork was there on the calendar quite probably to highlight the release of the same Trooper beer with a different limited edition label to commemorate the Mexican day of the dead.
This is what I think as well. But it's time to cut the crap at Maiden Towers.

Last edited:
I don't know if that's just me, but every time the crowd sings chorus (aces high, fear of the dark etc.) I can't understand single word :D
The same with the Clansman, they are 50kms away and Bruce lets them sing :bigsmile:

By the way, I think it is fine to think that someone from the management should correct the typos on spotify.

I just listened to The Clansman.

The version that we have from RIR 2019 is much better than this one - the guitars sounded better, Bruce sounded better and the "FREEDOM" part could be heard from the public (and was really amazing). The version is still up on xvideos, by the way (yeah).

The way that the public sounds in NOTD is just weird. Really bad.

He is Maiden's best performer and has been for several years. Absolute beast. I have for some years thought that they have slowed down some songs because of him, but I am starting to think it's because of Bruce. Nicko's playing is phenomenal.
Nicko in the last couple of years was phenomenal. I don't know how he's doing that.

Steve’s backing vocals in RTTH are way louder than what they should be.
I noticed that too. They were damn near painful and reminded me why Shirley used to mix all the backing vocals way down on the previous live albums (Rock in Rio especially). Just another bizarre mixing decision that I wouldn't necessarily say is wrong, but certainly doesn't sound very good in context.

What is wrong is the VXI like super weak and distant sounding guitars (and toms). Take The Wicker Man's intro for example. When I heard that song live, it was massive. Adrian's guitar was coming in really hot (probably the Tube Screamer giving it that rough edge) and sounded big, and Nicko's tom hits accentuating the riff were like artillery fire. Earth-shattering.

Then on the live album it sounds like some garage band playing in a rehearsal room on borrowed equipment. I don't get how they got there.

I’m going to listen to this album in EdPhones With zero EQ, the way our lord and savior Steven Jesus Christ Harris wants us to, and I’ll report back with my impressions. I know everyone is anxious for my review and I apologize for the delay. But soon, you shall all suckle at the teat of my wisdom.

Back