Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

If you listen to how Bruce talks these days, you get a clue as to what's different. Sounds to me like he's using what's left of his tongue in a different way now, even compared to TBOS tour, resulting in a bit of a darker tone and a bit of slurring.

That being said, it sounded a lot better in 2018. which was fantastic.

FTGGoG is a mixed bag for me. Some parts are great but other just... well... bad.

Overall I'm happy that I didn't buy this album because, based on quality, it seems more like a cash grab due to lack of live shows than a proper release.
The fact that it's not even accompanied with uploaded videos of the performance (yet?) makes this hard to disagree with. If there ever was a live tour that would seem to be tailored towards the visuals on the stage, it's this one.

I'm listening right now… 3 first songs. And as I said when I listened Aces High and Sign of the cross I'm still thinking that the crowd is miles and miles away. There's no space for the rhythms guitars sound. It' just focused on bass, drums and voice. Even when you hear a guitar solo the drums and bass are louder. And it seems that there was no space to include the long speech from Bruce promising new music soon… :lol:

I have a problem with the sound on this album. Some places are quiet, others are loud, there are strange effects (e.g. low guitars in the background, disproportionately loud vocals) and with Wickerman I get the impression that Dickinson's vocals sometimes echo but only on certain lines. I don't know where it comes from. I don't even mention the sounds of the crowd at the beginning of Revelations because it sounds ... artificial.

Those of you who've listened to Blaze Bayley's most recent live album, Live in Czech... Just think how it sounds, produced with the limited resources they had. Nothing super fancy, but a step above his previous Live in France anyway.

And then you have Iron Maiden, one of the biggest bands in the world, well-known for their extensive catalogue in the category of live releases. Most of them great. No shortage of resources. Beautiful packaging - the booklets and all are beautiful indeed.

But soundwise... you couldn't tell that Maiden was operating in totally different league of production values. From what I've listened so far, some individual songs turned out better than I expected - Hallowed for example. They've probably included material from all three nights, since Bruce seems to be much "clearer" in some of the songs, while others (namely the mentioned WED, for example) are loaded with "mumbling." Also, his often so awesome style of delivery really suffers from the illness or whatever was troubling him then, and it really hurts songs like For the Greater Good of God and Sign of the Cross, which usually gain another level of magic through his way of phrasing and giving weight to certain lines.

Anyway, I wouldn't say it's a garbage to listen at all, but it's rather disappointing when Maiden live release somewhat fails (arguably) most with it's defining/special songs (WED, The Clansman, FTGGOG etc.). That being said, it's an interesting listen and all things considered, you can tell they still give a good show, but the overall production values and choices, along with Bruce's condition during that part of the tour, just really hurt the overall product.

If you listen to how Bruce talks these days, you get a clue as to what's different. Sounds to me like he's using what's left of his tongue in a different way now, even compared to TBOS tour, resulting in a bit of a darker tone and a bit of slurring.

That being said, it sounded a lot better in 2018. which was fantastic.
something happen with his mouth,the way he moves the mouth,but its ok.

Yep, the production is not so good.... (the crowd noise is somehow strange and too loud). Live Chapter sounds better IMO.

They should have used a concert from where Adrian does the ''Revelations'' solo. I'm happy that we have this version of TMW solo though (and that we have a backing vocals during it from Adrian). I liked the performances of HBTN, ''Revelations'' and ''The Clansman''.

Overall, it's not the high standard from Maiden. In comparison with the other live albums, the production is not so good (especially for a band like Maiden). They should have used a gig from 2018 (Bruce was a beast during this leg) - this part of the 2019 leg of the tour was not good for Bruce.

Honestly, only a concert video from the tour will save this release.

Last edited:
I don't know why they bother with audience sounds at all, since they are so poor quality that sometimes I have a hard time telling if it's the audience or a goddamn strange synthesizer. What they could have done was:
- cutting out the sounds of the audience to the maximum
- recording a few or a dozen elements again in the studio
- editing a few films from the studio
- presenting it as 'Legacy of the Beast: studio'

I'd better bear a slight lie about the source of the materials than this quality. It is not tragic - it simply differs from the level expected from a musical group of this class.

I don't know why they bother with audience sounds at all, since they are so poor quality that sometimes I have a hard time telling if it's the audience or a goddamn strange synthesizer. What they could have done was:
- cutting out the sounds of the audience to the maximum
- recording a few or a dozen elements again in the studio
- editing a few films from the studio
- presenting it as 'Legacy of the Beast: studio'

I'd better bear a slight lie about the source of the materials than this quality. It is not tragic - it simply differs from the level expected from a musical group of this class.
Maybe its just taken from a bank sound library

All these comments are making me not want to listen to the new live album. I'll wait until they retire, or something.
TBH it doesn't sound like a live album for me. It's more than a rehearsal album with audience audio recorded from the studio while the audience is standing in the parking lot.

I know how negative I sound saying that but I was on shows during this tour and after these amazing shows I feel that the album doesn't catch how amazing this tour was. I didn't have this problem with other live albums from tours that I've seen.

Back