BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I'll still close this one on Sunday evening.

I still have to prepare videos for the keyboardists game which is coming right after this.

P.S. If anyone wants to help me pick the songs, say it :p

After listening to Caravan and Pull Me Under (and thinking a bit), I'm going to vote for Neil Peart, because he fits the sound of the existing band better. Portnoy may be more enjoyable (and flashier), but I wouldn't want to hear him playing with Iommi and Dio.

very elaborate version of "Best Maiden album ever"
Everyone on this site has a completely different idea of what the "best Maiden album" is. What I'm thinking is that something else (maybe Painkiller or The Chemical Wedding?) will slip through the cracks and win.

Also, just checking - was Jason Rullo even nominated? I managed to miss him completely if he was, but I find it hard to believe that at least one Beaurbocker (or is it Knickergard?) hasn't put him there.

But out of these two, it's really easy and simple - and I don't even like Portnoy the most, but he certainly has that "passion for groove", you know, that charm that makes you jump out of your chair and air-drum the **** out of the song. I can't even analyze what it is exactly (certain imprecision, though characteristic and humanizing, possibly?), but it's under my internal tag "Bro, do you even clave?" And you don't have to play Latin rhythms or anything, it's just the conceivability that you could. That's what makes me a fan of Portnoy, Nicko, Bruford, the Allman drummers, Copeland, Gingy Baky, Mike Shrieve (duh) and even Phil Collins in his prime and lesser fan of Minnemann, Mangini (though I like them for other reasons), White (Alan, not Lenny), Liebezeit and yes, Peart. Sure, Minnemann and Mangini turn "technical" drumming to such levels it becomes absurd and therefore fun again for me (somewhat), but none would really make me want to pick a drumset, were I to choose an instrument to play.

Also, just checking - was Jason Rullo even nominated? I managed to miss him completely if he was, but I find it hard to believe that at least one Beaurbocker (or is it Knickergard?) hasn't put him there.

But out of these two, it's really easy and simple - and I don't even like Portnoy the most, but he certainly has that "passion for groove", you know, that charm that makes you jump out of your chair and air-drum the **** out of the song. I can't even analyze what it is exactly (certain imprecision, though characteristic and humanizing, possibly?), but it's under my internal tag "Bro, do you even clave?" And you don't have to play Latin rhythms or anything, it's just the conceivability that you could. That's what makes me a fan of Portnoy, Nicko, Bruford, the Allman drummers, Copeland, Gingy Baky, Mike Shrieve (duh) and even Phil Collins in his prime and lesser fan of Minnemann, Mangini (though I like them for other reasons), White (Alan, not Lenny), Liebezeit and yes, Peart. Sure, Minnemann and Mangini turn "technical" drumming to such levels it becomes absurd and therefore fun again for me (somewhat), but none would really make me want to pick a drumset, were I to choose an instrument to play.
I thought I nominated Rullo, but maybe not? Would’ve been awhile ago.

In the end, it comes down to this: Mike Portnoy is this generation's Neil Peart, and I respect the hell out of that.

But Neil Peart isn't the previous generation's Mike Portnoy.

And whoever comes next will be the next generation's Neil Peart. Not the next generation's Mike Portnoy.

Back