GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Argh, I seem to have missed the round in which a nominee of mine was featured for the first time. Glad it didn't cause a preventable loss.

These were surprisingly difficult choices. I had heard the Danzig song before, but didn't really like it. Bewitched was a bit ridiculous and boasting, and that made me choose Danzig.

Inhumano and Bodom are beyond me, and my brain cannot process them. But I trust Diesel's expertise. :)

I used to be a fan of Nevermind, when I was 15. This album was not familiar, though I had heard a couple of songs before. Spiritual Beggars isn't my cup of tea, so Nirvana it is. Actually, when I have more time, I think I could give the whole album a spin.

SYL and Dark Tranquility aren't really my thing, and I couldn't make up my mind, so I let karljant :) decide.

In Belgium we have a metalband, Diablo Blvd where comedian Alex Agnew is doing the vocals. He sounds like the test-tubed lovechild of James Hetfield and Danzig. I really like Mother, the song that is. Although I like my own mother too though...but she can't sing like Danzig.
Bewitched is decent but I allready voted for them in the previous rounds. This song looks pale next to the one of Danzig.

I never heard of Inhumano and after listening to the song I didn't miss much. The vocals sounds like cookiemonster infected with Covid-19.
The first 2 Children Of Bodom albums were quite enyoable, this album sounds too "modern" for my taste. But compared to Inhumano, Children Of Bodom is at least listenable so Children Of Bodom it is. Sorry, @Diesel 11

Aah... Serve The Servants. This song brings back some great youth memories of spending time with schoolmates in the local pub on a saturday night. Sipping from our icecold Hoegaarden beer while the complete In Utero album was blasting out of the speakers. The equivalent of Teenage heaven.
I've never been into stoner metal so it's Nirvana for me!

Strapping Young Lad... Honestly, I can't listen to it any longer. I had to turn it of, afraid throwing up my dinner.
Next please. Dark Tranquillity has better albums but at least they are using melody in their songs.

:D He (it?) probably wasn't wearing a mask.
No, actually I don't want Cookie Monster to get Covid, he's one of my favourite characters! Remember safety distances, Cookie Monster!
Really? My favorite was Ienimienie (a mouse), but that's from the Dutch Sesamestreet. I don't know if she appears in the original serie.

I haven't heard some of the stuff here so can't vote yet, but I will say that City is one of my favorites. Monster truck of an album.

Oh My Fucking God is brutal to a comedic extent, and it's very self-aware about it. It's quite the tune.

Going back to front. I enjoy Dark Tranquility's music, but not their vocals. Not really my cup of tea, but it's fine. Strapping Young Lad just sounds like noise to me, so Dark Tranquility.

Spiritual Beggars is alright, good groove, and the vocals are decent. I don't feel like someone is hammering a triple bass pedal, anyway, which is good. My head bobbed along and it was decent. Nirvana is also decent, that grungy guitar sound generally isn't for me, and I don't think Kurt Cobain is really all that talented of a singer. I'd rather listen to Spiritual Beggars.

I could listen to a lot more Children of Bodom if their singer didn't gargle glass. But really, really, the vocals suck, the other stuff is pretty fun. And then there's Inhumano, a band so named because they can't possibly appeal to actual humans. I kid, there's some interesting stuff under the hood, but the hood is a fest of growls, shitty screams, and quadruple bass drowning out any possible subtlety. Children of Bodom.

We've been listening to Bewitched for awhile, and they're fine, but nothing special. This song is the same, it's pretty bog standard power metal, and uninteresting beyond that. Danzig brings a true classic - you can argue over whether or not it is deserved, but Mother is an absolute monster track, ubiquitous in a lot of ways and one of the more famous songs we've heard yet. The rest of the album is irrelevant compared to that track. Danzig.

If this was my first time listening to both of these albums, there's a pretty good chance I would vote for Bewitched. But by this point of the game I've grown sick of them. Danzig gets the vote for being different.

I've also grown sick of Children of Bodom. Fortunately for them, Inhumano is pure torture to listen to. Bodom luck out yet again and get the vote.

I enjoy Nirvana, but they're well behind Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden in my book. If this was Nevermind it might be a different story, but I have to go with Spiritual Beggars here, who, as I mentioned several times already, have been the biggest discovery for me of this entire game.

Strapping Young Lad was surprisingly pretty cool, and I'm not entirely sure why. Dark Tranquillity isn't my thing, but they're not terrible.

I don't want Cookie Monster to get Covid
Cookie Monster rules!
monster-metal-cookie-monster-heavy-metal.jpg

Danzig - very cool, I love this singer. It's simple and genius :applause:Bewitched is like nachos, my body repels them.

Inhumano - of the better ones I've heard from this style, but I prefer the shiny and catchy Bodom.

Nirvana - also cool, it's like Danzig, you know I wasn't here when all those classic albums came out, but, and possibly it's just because I know those are the big famous names, they have a uniqueness that separates them from so called impostor artists...

Spiritual Beggars - I actually missed all their previous appearances, so I finally got around to listening to them now. It's a good sound, lighter sound near the other albums here. More interesting and complex than Nirvana, I'll give them the vote.

SYL - absolutely love most of Devin's works, SYL included, and this is one of the two albums that are REALLY good. Unbridled anger, but it knows what it is and I think that makes or breaks it. Maybe it's easier to listen to it you know it isn't serious, but on the other hand if you're a fan of this style, self consciousness can take away some of the appeal. And I think this way about most of Devin's stuff.

There's a lot of good here. The only track I think is less impressive is Underneath the Waves (which I believe actually topped my list some time ago in the Top 10 of Any Band thread), but everything else kicks ass, including the cover of Room 429 and a bonus track called "Centipede", which would be hard not to put in my all time SYL top 10.

Dark Tranquility - this is also my first time with them, it's intricate and all but... They got into an awkward situation here :/

Glenn Danzig ends Bewitched's run, and as that was the only Bewitched album, they're done. Danzig will proceed on to face Led Zeppelin.
Children of Bodom continues that deep run, defeating Inhumano. Inhumano is gone, and Bodom faces Opeth next.
Spiritual Beggars's run has been ended by Nirvana, knocking the stoner metal act out of the GMAC. Next up is something called Cult of Luna and Julie.
Strapping Young Lad beats Dark Tranquility, and we'll see DT back in Match 32.

MMXX_Sons_of_Apollo.jpg

Sons of Apollo - MMXX (2020)

How it got here

List entries: n/a
Maidenfans Nominators: @Lampwick 43
League 14 - Match 9vs.
Skidrow-st.jpg

Skid Row - Skid Row (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 82
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn 17-6.
League 16: Defeated Melvins - Bullhead 14-7.
League 15: Defeated Paul Gilbert - Silence Followed By a Deafening Roar 17-4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scream_Bloody_Gore.jpg

Death - Scream Bloody Gore (1987)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 19
Maidenfans Nominators: n/a
League 14 - Match 10vs.
Baroness_-_Red_Album.jpg

Baroness - The Red Album (2007)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 83

Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Naked City - Torture Garden 19-2.
League 16: Defeated Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses 12-8.
League 15: Defeated Slipknot - Iowa 14-7.

Angra_templeofshadows.jpg

Angra - Temple of Shadows (2004)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 16
League 14 - Match 11vs.
Living_Colour-Vivid.jpg

Living Colour - Vivid (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 71
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Manowar - Hail to England 12-10.
League 16: Defeated Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant 15-5.

League 15: Defeated Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated 15 -5.[/TD]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony_MacAlpine_-_1986_-_Edge_of_Insanity.jpg

Tony MacAlpine - Edge of Insanity (1986)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 48
League 15 - Match 12vs.
Pantera-FarBeyondDriven.jpg

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (1994)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 39
League 15: Defeated Isis - Oceanic 14-7.

Danzig will proceed on to face Led Zeppelin.

If it's the first Led Zeppelin album will this be the first time that the same song is on both albums in a clash?

How Many More Times features a section of the blues classic The Hunter which of course is also on Danzig.

Scream Bloody Gore obviously, and anything against Pantera, but I must check the rest before voting or it ain't fair.

Back