IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
How the hell is Phantom better than Rime? :D Well, at least two of my most favourite Maiden songs in the top 3 so I shouldn’t complain. Phantom so high and no Sign of the Cross in the top 10 is a wtf moment for me, though.

I've been voting for Phantom for the last four rounds but I wouldn't be upset about it making the final matchup. Really splitting hairs at this point of the game. I think any one out of the Top 6 would be a worthy winner.

So I’m guessing that a Beckett song will likely win the game.
Ze6Ihgo.gif

I think it's worthy of flying the flag for Maiden's talents. I don't see Rime or Powerslave as good candidates for that.
We agree on much, but I don't follow you here - what do you feel those songs are missing when it comes to showcasing Maiden's talents? Honestly, in terms of quality I don't think there's very much to separate the top 6-7 songs of this tournament.

We agree on much, but I don't follow you here - what do you feel those songs are missing when it comes to showcasing Maiden's talents? Honestly, in terms of quality I don't think there's very much to separate the top 6-7 songs of this tournament.
A mock Eastern sounding jaunt on an Ancient Egypt-based horror theme doesn't strike me as something that sums up Maiden's work. A horror theme, maybe, but Powerslave is more like a detour into a bit of silliness with an overstated theme. Rime starts solidly, then meanders for a good long while, especially the creaking and spooky noises part I mentioned earlier. If I was trying to sell Maiden to a newcomer as a shit-hot metal band, that part isn't exactly easy-access.

Hallowed is a lot more cohesive, has a lot more direction, and plenty of drama.

A mock Eastern sounding jaunt on an Ancient Egypt-based horror theme doesn't strike me as something that sums up Maiden's work. A horror theme, maybe, but Powerslave is more like a detour into a bit of silliness with an overstated theme.

I see your argument regarding the theme, but musically the song contains nearly every Maiden trademark. And personally I think the "mock Eastern sounding jaunt" just sounds bloody great.

Back