GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Skid Row is like a songs album and not a unique entity, while Bullhead doesn't really have filler. Also there's a Strapping Young Lad cover of Zodiac if you like that...

Type O Negative win, they have cool atmosphere and vocals, but Baroness wasn't bad either.

Only listened to the first tracks on the third pair but Living Colour are much more refreshing.

And finally, Hibria at least wasn't just full on cheese and had some good riffing but Oceanic is one of the better albums in the game so far.

Skid Row begins a minnow run with a strong win over The Melvins, knocking The Melvins out of cup contention. Next, they face Paul Gilbert.
Baroness continues to go deep, defeating Type O Negative. Type O Negative is knocked out of the game, and Baroness next will go against Slipknot.
Living Colour has a strong win, but nobody seemed happy about it. Arch Enemy returns in League 15.
Finally, Isis knocks off power metal wannabes Hibria, unsurprisingly eliminated Hibria from the game. Next up for Isis is Pantera.

CalculatingInfinity.jpg

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity (1999)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 56
League 16 - Match 13vs.
Rage-Black_In_Mind.jpg

Rage - Black in Mind (1995)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 72
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Body Count - Body Count 10-7.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NapalmDeathScum.jpg

Napalm Death - Scum (1987)

How it got here

List entries: DigitalDreamDoor 66
League 16 - Match 14vs.
NOLA-Down_cover.jpg

Down - NOLA (1995)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 84
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Avantasia - Moonglow 11-7.

LiquidTensionExp2.jpg

Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2 (1999)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 57
League 16 - Match 15vs.
The_House_of_Atreus_Act_I.jpg

Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus Act I (1999)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 94
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Aria - Игра С Огнём 15-3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Streetcleaner.jpg

Godflesh - Streetcleaner (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 64
League 16 - Match 16vs.
Helloween_-_7_Sinners.jpg

Helloween - 7 Sinners (2010)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Kingdom 84
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Heavenly - Dust to Dust 14-4.

Dillinger Escape Plan - korn noises with blast beats, if you've been reading any of my posts in this thread then you will know this is exactly the sort of music that I love with all my soul<3

Rage - nice harmony at the start, sounds pretty modern production wise for 1995, singer not quite good enough for me although miles better than most in the game so far

Rage with a walkover in this round, I quite liked their track while DEP is one of the worst thats been in the game.

Napalm Death - I remember as a kid my mate had the peel sessions and we used to just listen to Unchallenged Hate and roar laughing at how shit it was when the tempo change happened. It seems the track here "evolved as one" is not from the correct album, so I listened to "Instinct of Survival" as Youtube had that as up next. Exactly as I remembered them :lol: (evolved as one was a bit better than I expected but as it's on the wrong album I can't give it any credit)

Down - opinion given the last time they were in the game, and I checked out some more of that album since and it's not bad

Down with the win

Liquid Tension Experiment - first thoughts were it sounds good until the keys came in, then I realised it's just Dream Theatre in disguise, pass

Virgin Steele - and these are Manowar in disguise, but in fairness they get the head nodding in a way keyboards never will

Virgin Steele with the win.

Godflesh - no interest in this

Helloween - double bass sounds so fake, I gave the opinion on these in the last round

Helloween with the win

Re: Napalm Death artworks, is that the same artist as The Headless Children or were WASP ripping it off?

I'm shocked to see LTE taking such a beating at this point. I thought that people would love Dream Theater without LaBrie. :D
But at least Helloween is winning.

I'm no great fan of the first two. On the basis that I find it trying to even listen to hoarse screamy vocals (as opposed to deep growls) in combination with discordant freeform-ish music, I can't vote for Dillinger Escape Plan. Rage is okay. Alive But Dead is a stand-out good song, and Shadow Out of Time and Forever are decent enough. The rest of album is samey.

Down. Nola has quite a nice hard rock sound to it, interspersed with some heavier elements and harsh vocals from time to time. I wouldn't choose to pick this up and listen it, but it's well made. Definitely prefer it to Napalm Death's barrage of heavy experimental sounding material.

I have to admit I would probably have rejected Liquid Tension Experiment very swiftly if I hadn't seen some familiar names there and then starting mentally hearing this as Dream Theater. Virgin Steele are a bit more fun in the end.

I'd probably appreciate Godflesh a lot more if they didn't have that scratchy and raw production. It sounds especially poor up against a much more polished Helloween, who easily have the most enjoyable and accessible album of these four matches.

1st match: As I said before Black In Mind is a really solid yet generic metal album (with all the pros and cons it brings).
Calculating Infinity was the first record I've listened from TDEP and although the ubber technical and chaotic onslaught blew my mind the voice was quite a letdown. Things were about to change with the collaboration with Patton and later with the addition of Greg Pucciatto, an incredible singer and screamer in what would be what is still to this very day my favorite record from the band (Miss Machine). But although it's undeniable that TDEP were already amazing musicians and tracks like Sugar Coated Soar, 43% Burnt or the title track are complete game changers (creating what would later be called Math Core) it seems there is something missing here. Nevertheless by being such an influential album, I'll give it the edge.

2nd match: Ufffffffff!... Do I really have to chose? Two excellent records. Already talked about NOLA and how masterly crafted of a classic it is.
But Scum is also a classic of its own. For many the inception point of Grind core, Napalm Death's debut still has that Punk/ Hard Core feel to it from the band's first tapes but seems like it took an entire bottle of steroids. The inception of blast beats by Mick Harris turned an already heavy per se album into a reference for all ages. Songs like Instinct Of Survival, Siege Of Power, Control or the title track are classics that are revered to this day within the community and changed heavy music. So I painfully have to vote against Down :(

3rd match: LTE 2 is one of those records that must have been a ball for the musicians involved to record. Especially for the guys from Dream Theater while being able to compose, jam and play with one of their idols: the one and only Tony Levin. That being said it's worth what it's worth as a record. If it's true that it's technically amazing and presents us some really nice passages it cannot escape what it is in its nature: a long recorded jam session/ workshop that many will feel like they're there in the studio playing with the band while others like me feel like an one use enjoyable experience.
As for Virgin Steele's album I already stated that it sounds like a pretty well crafted record with some Manowar (with less cheese) influences and tight compositions. Anyone who plays power metal and keeps me interested deserves major props, BTW. So they get my vote.

4th match: Already talked about Seven Sinners: boring and generic album even for 21st century Helloween standards.
On the other hand we have another classic: Godflesh's debut. Alongside Ministry, Godflesh were the major architects of Industrial metal. Take it like this... these 2 bands the like the Black Sabbath and Judas Priest of the genre. Bands such as Fear Factory, Rammstein, Nailbomb, Atrocity, Samael, SYL, Static X, Fudge Tunnel, Pitch Shifter, Filter or Pain (among zillions others) would surely sound a lot different if it wasn't for Broderick's chugging mechanized riffs and dissonant harmonics as well as the use of samples and the inception of those dual angelic vocals alongside growls. Hell... even Sepultura, Slipknot and other acts outside the genre (like Neurosis and most of sludge/ Post Metal bands) were hugely influenced by this record. After changing the metal landscape with Napalm Death Justin repeated the deed with tracks such as Like Rats, Tiny Tears or Christbait Rising.

Last edited:
I like the jazzy chaos of Dillinger Escape Plan, but the vocals are really grating. Meanwhile Rage is upper-tier garage band metal with vocals that aren’t very good, but aren’t terrible. I appreciate the artistry more from Dillinger Escape Plan, but I find the Rage album more enjoyable to listen to, and the vocals wind up sealing my decision. Winner: Rage

Napalm Death lost me as soon as those horrible vocals and blast beats came in. Since Down actually plays music, they win by default. Winner: Down

Liquid Tension Experiment 2 is an album of consistently great progressive instrumentals. While there’s a lot to like about the Virgin Steele album, it can’t really stand up to an effort of this caliber. Winner: Liquid Tension Experiment

I get what the Godflesh album is going for here, and it succeeds in creating an oppressive atmosphere, but the songs are rather samey and most of the vocals are bad. Meanwhile, the Helloween album is a solid slab of modern power metal, and though it’s not always to my taste, I would rather listen to it again than Godflesh. Winner: Helloween

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity vs. Rage - Black in Mind

I've heard some Dillinger Escape Plan previously, and it appears that I just don't get their style. I like jazz, I like extreme metal, but I don't like the combination of the two, or at least I don't like it done this way. I appreciate the skill involved, but I found this tiring to listen to. As for Rage, this is just derivative thrash-induced heavy metal. I found this one particularly boring, very samey in its approach and the riffs aren't compelling. I appreciate tiring originality that I don't enjoy more than boring derivation that I don't enjoy, so Calculating Infinity it is.

Napalm Death - Scum vs. Down - NOLA

Another round where I don't enjoy either style and either album. The bro-metal of Down just grates on me, I really don't care for sludge metal save for the occasional exception and this is another reminder why. The songs sound so derivative, almost like they're factory made. It goes for aggression but doesn't deliver it as focused as death metal or grindcore do, or as stylistic as death metal or thrash metal do. As can be told from the previous sentence, I appreciate the grindcore of Scum for its unadulterated aggression and energy, but not for its style. One beats zero, vote goes to Scum.

Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2 vs. Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus, Act I

One of the easiest votes in the game so far for me. The pompousness of Virgin Steele is hard to bear and it's just not enjoyable with the style of music they combine that pompousness with. They're not as frequently cringeworthy as many other bands doing similar stuff, but quite cheesy. LTE 2, on the other hand, is an excellent piece of instrumental prog metal with four great players who manage to carve out compositions interesting enough that it doesn't come off as a circlejerk of virtuosos. 'Acid Rain' and 'When the Water Breaks' are superb tracks.

Godflesh - Streetcleaner vs. Helloween - 7 Sinners

I was underwhelmed when I first checked out Streetcleaner, not because the music sucked but because I had higher expectations. Acclaimed album, interesting genre, cool album title and artwork. It left me unsatisfied. On this second visit I really appreciated just how menacing this album sounds. It's not super memorable, a bit overlong and the vocals are are a weak point but the atmosphere is very impressive. Helloween, on the other hand, is Helloween. A band that has never impressed me even with their most celebrated works. This one features just about everything I dislike in metal, the power metal style, the pristine modern metal production with no sense of dynamics. Give them a female vocalist who sings fake opera and you have completed the trifecta of bad metal.

Last edited:
Just noticed that this might be the first round where a musician features twice in the same round with different bands. (Justin Broadrick - Napalm Death and Godflesh)

Back