Led Zeppelin poll and discussion thread

which is your favourite Led Zeppelin album ?

• Total voters
Presence and In Through The Out Door are my two favorite Zep albums. Of course my two favorite Sabbath albums are Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath so what do I know?

Presence and In Through The Out Door are my two favorite Zep albums. Of course my two favorite Sabbath albums are Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath so what do I know?

I don't have presence or ITTOD but you are correct about those Sabbath albums.

Houses Of The Holy is my favourite Zeppelin record, their debut and IV are also strong contenders. Frankly their catalog is pretty darn strong as a whole. However Houses has some absolutely amazing tracks, The Song Remains The Same is a phenomenal opener, The Rain Song is majestic and peaceful. No Quarter a progressive and eerie track. The Ocean a good rocker to close the album. It is strong from start to finish.

Zeppelin were my first #1 rock band, the one I learnt all discography by heart, talked about with my classmates, the first real love. I was saving up from my allowance to buy the 2003 DVD when it came out.

I still like and respect them, but over time not only has my general musical taste kinda shifted, but most of their albums seem uneven now (at least two to three songs on each I really don't get why they're there) and I have built up an allergy for Plant's vocals. There's just something to his tembre and general vocal approach that makes him particularly obnoxious (my wife said the same after we player IV on a car trip immediately followed by Made in Japan, where Gillan is doing his best to be somewhat obnoxious as well, yet his voice is sooooo less grating and more pleasant to the ear).

My fave remains PG, my very definitely favourite song would be Achilles.

I'm currently having some trouble trying to choose between the original vinyl version and the 2014 remaster of Led Zeppelin IV. Luckily, I don't have to worry about the logistics - I have 320 kbps MP3 rips!

Edit: The original seems to have a much warmer sound as compared to the remaster's stark artificiality. It's also easier to play at higher volumes. All I have to do now is test it on a stereo system.

Last edited:
Has anyone else watched their film "The Song Remains The Same"? I watched the whole film this afternoon and ... well, I'd just be interested to hear what anyone else made of it :blink:

Led Zep finally won. There seems to be some common sense left in the US.

Hmm yes and no. Even Led Zep themselves have unofficially admitted this particular plagiarism (and many others too). There was a (cassette?) compilation made by late John Bonham I believe, with the originals and the Led Zep version, I have it somewhere. Taurus was one of the songs in that compilation.

Has anyone else watched their film "The Song Remains The Same"? I watched the whole film this afternoon and ... well, I'd just be interested to hear what anyone else made of it :blink:
It's been a while since I've seen it. The film looks inexpensive but has great aspirations, and it's of its time, which is a good thing, but I can understand if people don't like it. The band is great.

Hmm yes and no. Even Led Zep themselves have unofficially admitted this particular plagiarism (and many others too). There was a (cassette?) compilation made by late John Bonham I believe, with the originals and the Led Zep version, I have it somewhere. Taurus was one of the songs in that compilation.
They might have heard Taurus, which *does* have the same chromatically descending bassline as STH, but that doesn't make any difference. You can find many, many examples for this all over music history for 400 years (for example in every "passus duriusculus", as they call it), as well as in many Jazz and Rock tracks.

They might have heard Taurus, which *does* have the same chromatically descending bassline as STH, but that doesn't make any difference. You can find many, many examples for this all over music history for 400 years (for example in every "passus duriusculus", as they call it), as well as in many Jazz and Rock tracks.

I think it’s more that that, check below links. Note that When the Levee Breaks is not even included in the first, which was direct rip off and they didn’t even bother to put credits, crediting it as Page/Plant/JP Jones/Bonham.
*Internet says Memphis Minnie is also included in credits, though I don’t remember such thing from my vinyl.

I never thought Taurus was a major rip off but there are plenty other in Led Zeppelin’s career. For instance my version of Led Zeppelin I says “traditional” for Baby I’m gonna Leave you, to name a blatant case.

There are also other cases as Rock n’ Roll that there aren’t considered (widely) as plagiarism, despite having great similarities with known numbers.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've seen it. The film looks inexpensive but has great aspirations, and it's of its time, which is a good thing, but I can understand if people don't like it. The band is great.
Yes the band is great and I never said I didn't like it. It's just that everything official and semi-official I'd read had led me to expect something along the lines of Flight 666 - the weird fantasy sequences are only alluded to in fan reviews and even then no-one seemed to know quite what they were supposed to achieve or how they linked in with the rest. I'm sure the band members had fun filming them (especially Robert Plant :D).

I enjoyed it very much and I expect I'll watch it again at some point. It's just that sometimes I was left thinking "wtf am I seeing?!!?"

Back