Your Maiden blasphemy

Objectively speaking, if you're really honest, Derek Riggs isn't really that great of an artist.
I'd say that's a fact not a blasphemy.

And yet, haven't we all tried to reproduce Eddie as seen on the covers of Killers and Live After Death, with a pen, in an exercise book, with some random teacher droning in the background?

Could Dali or Caspar David Friedrich, not to mention da Vinci, ever boast achieving that?
Kittelsen maybe, later, and within a much more limited public.

Ah I'm only joking, It's held in high regard by me! And I suspect maybe, people of a similar age to me who were fairly new Maiden fans when it was released.
I grew up on Live at Donnignton as it was my first live Maiden album. I think it’s great but the Hallowed version on ARLDO is better than Donnington.

Sign of the Cross is the best 9-or-more-minutes epic Iron Maiden have ever done, better than both Rime of the Ancient Mariner* and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

* also, regarding Ancient Mariner: Santiago 2009 > Flight 666 > Live After Death > Powerslave

'Several' epics that are better than Rime, 7th Son and Sign of the Cross? Im intrigued.
Yeah, let me list them.
Hallowed
Alexander the Great
Fear of the Dark (debatable if this counts as an epic)
Blood Brothers (also debatable)
Dream of Mirrors
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
No More Lies
Dance of Death
Paschendale
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Benjamin Breeg (debatable)
For the Greater Good Of God
Lord of Light
The Legacy
Isle of Avalon
Starblind
The Talisman
The Red and The Black
The Book of Souls
Empire of the Clouds

Yes, a terrible opinion, I know. I'll log out right away.

Revelations in Live After Death is too fast and it doesn't fit the lyrics. I guess Steve's the one to blame for this.

Powerslave is their worst album among the first seven.

Anyone who blames Wasting Love because it's a radio friendly song has clearly never listened to Can I Play with Madness. To say one.

The Unbeliever has one of their best solo sections ever.

Janick's solo in Paschendale is the best out of the three because it perfectly fits the atmosphere of the song. Way better than both Dave's and Adrian's.

Dave Murray is a great guitar player as far as it concerns solos and harmonies. He's not that great in rhythm sections, though.

Now that's a blasphemy.
I would place it 6th. Just above Iron Maiden. I like Poweslave but it is just an onslaught of riffs and guitars without any real concern for light and shade. There are some rest-bite moments like the middle of the title track and Mariner. However, most of it just bores me.

Back