Poll: To produce or not to produce?

If a miracle happens and fans are allowed to vote, which option would you choose:

• The Band continues to work with Kevin Shirley.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • The Band waives the services of Kevin Shirley. Available: Roy Z, Andy Sneap, Fredrik Nordstrröm.

Votes: 27 71.1%

• Total voters
Every Shirley album has been a variation of good or great.
We could certainly do worse.

I’ve said it before but as long as Steve Harris is at the helm, it doesn’t really matter who the producer is. I imagine a more hands on producer like Sneap or Roy Z would fight Steve’s wishes until finding themselves out of a job. Then you have an album produced by Steve without any other input.

Shirley is the best guy for the job. He knows the band as musical personalities and is able to make really good sounding albums with minimal processing (see Counterparts by Rush). If Steve would stay out of his way, we’d have more albums like Brave New World, which is one of the best sounding modern metal albums.

Well, IMO if KS continues the production in the style of TBOS, he is the right guy. If he does another DOD, that's another story.

But yeah, it's usually Steve's choice anyways.

BNW and AMOL&D had good production, everything else Shirley did with Maiden lacks punch. He's more of a rock producer anyway. Give me someone who is predominantly a metal producer.

I don't really have anything against the production of any modern Maiden albums, but I voted against Kevin just for the sake of experimenting.

Give me someone who is predominantly a metal producer.

And have Maiden sound like every other metal band, as @srfc indicated? I agree that DOD and TFF didn't sound great; I found an explanation for DOD a long time ago (it was supposed to be a 5.1 album, he didn't realise that's not the way of the future) and TFF, although not great, wasn't horrible either. BNW and AMOLAD have a unique and amazing sound, and there's nothing wrong at all with TBOS.

Firepower is a good model of what this would sound like. A classic 80s level of pristine but with modern technology and sound. I’m skeptical that it would fit the proggier sound of modern Maiden. For what Priest are currently doing it was perfect (if not somewhat generic).

I'd like Maiden to sound a bit like the last Opeth album. Not muddy, enough room for all instruments and voice. Modern with nice arrangements.

I'd like Maiden to sound a bit like the last Opeth album. Not muddy, enough room for all instruments and voice. Modern with nice arrangements.
g35yYKr.gif

Back