THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: nominations CLOSED!

With that 9 minute rule, it's going to be all Dream Theater and Symphony X. Most epics I can think of from non-prog bands are somewhere between 8 and 9 minutes.

You can balance it out by posting other stuff, there's still 36 more songs left to be nominated :p I know I won't be nominating any of that stuff, but then again, I can see all the lists...

While it's true that the majority of songs in the game are likely to fall under the prog umbrella, and Dream Theater and Symphony X are undoubtedly the most popular of such bands, there are still a ton of good, non-prog epics out there to keep things interesting. And Then There Was Silence by Blind Guardian, Clear the Way by Iced Earth, even Sunset on the Golden Age by Alestorm, all are some good, non-prog songs over 9 minutes in length that immediately come to my mind without thinking too hard.

When I was making my list I noticed that most of my favorite (non DT) epics were slightly under 9 minutes in length.

My list:
Rush - La Villa Strangiato
Yes - Close To The Edge
Led Zeppelin - In My Time Of Dying
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Meshuggah - I
Opeth - The Moor, The Leper Affinity

List sent, but I maintain that the shift from 8 to 9 minutes makes a massive difference at the expense of musical diversity.

I have noted that the 8-9 minute range would expand the game greatly,. Contrary to you, however, I think it's a good development that it isn't case. The game is very specific and I think making it more compact is the right move. 8 minutes isn't long enough to fish out songs that have a repetitive formula, 9 minutes seems to be the exact point of break, and that's the reason why prog bands will have an edge in participation with the new ruling.

I have noted that the 8-9 minute range would expand the game greatly,. Contrary to you, however, I think it's a good development that it isn't case. The game is very specific and I think making it more compact is the right move. 8 minutes isn't long enough to fish out songs that have a repetitive formula, 9 minutes seems to be the exact point of break, and that's the reason why prog bands will have an edge in participation with the new ruling.

To someone who doesn't like prog, like me, that makes the game less interesting, though.

November Rain is 9+ minutes, right?

f618e99d7902f30e0813ac4c48f34538.png

Oh...

What? I already nominated it anyway. I had it down as 9 minutes from the last Epicvivor.

Looks like we're getting a lot of Yes nominated here

I was being a smart-ass, actually. I'm pretty sure NP will accept November Rain as it's just three seconds shy.

List sent, but I maintain that the shift from 8 to 9 minutes makes a massive difference at the expense of musical diversity.
Definitely. A lot of potential candidates I had were ruled out by the move from 8 to 9 minutes.

I was being a smart-ass, actually. I'm pretty sure NP will accept November Rain as it's just three seconds shy.
I won't. I didn't get to check lengths of each song yet. But if you've sent me November Rain, replace it with something else via PM before I've filled out the game :p

Back