GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Nominations closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Hello friends,

As we move towards the completion of the Iron Maiden Referendum 2020 (NPFTDexit, please), I will be launching a new game called the Greatest Metal Album Cup. The basic theory here is that I have scoured the internet for lists of the best metal albums and used that to roughly rank the output. Some of the lists are really dumb and there are some very odd albums mixed into the whole kit and kaboodle, but that makes it fun. I will begin by using qualifiers to hit a multiple of 32 entrants, then albums will begin to enter the fray.

This will be a single-game tournament with 32 active games until all albums have entered the fray. The lowest ranked albums will enter first. All seeds will be randomized to ensure the maximum amount of chaos. Once one bracket resolves, the next 32 albums (again, randomized) will enter the competition. Minnows will get a chance to run deep and I recommend you spend time discussing which albums you think might make it to higher tiers.

How can you help? Although I have scoured the Internet for lists, this remains a Maidenfans.com game, so I want your top 25 metal albums (studio). Send them to me via PM please. The lists do not need to be ranked, and rankings will be ignored. I will use raw counting of the albums I get to assign a final ranking to the album list (that is to say, if 10 people list Powerslave and 7 people list Brave New World, the former would be ranked higher than the latter. If I get more than 25 lists, I will rank the Maidenfans.com Listings at 2x value for when albums enter the game. If I get more than 50 lists, I will rank at 3x the value.

Qualifying albums should be listed at Encyclopaedia Metallum. Hard rock will qualify. Some exceptions may apply. Feel free to ask.

This will be open for some time, as I have lots of prework to do, but PM me your lists asap!

Cheers,
LC

Last edited:
Sent. Had a list of my Top 50 albums already, came in handy. Just picked out the metal ones.

Rage Against the Machine isn't listed at the site, which I found weird. Their self-titled would've made my list otherwise.

I would take Rage Against the Machine, but it's no worries either way. The ST is already in the game, and it will just come in a little earlier otherwise.

Also, only Chemical Wedding and Painkiller have been on all the lists so far. Huh.

Taken as pure Metal albums, those would probably be my #'s 1 and 2.

Coming soon. No forethought, no rational thought, no attempt at cultural or commercial relevance, just a gut-level reaction based on my own interpretation of what should qualify. And to make it more interesting no Maiden. Discard what you don’t think fits.

For Maiden I nominated...
Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
Seventh Son
Brave New World
The Final Frontier
The Book of Souls

Gonna try and keep my list to one album per artist as much as I can, so this may take a little thought.

Yeah, you don't have to do that. Best thing to do is to list the top 25 albums regardless of concerns, thoughts, worries. Just....top albums.
Gotcha. Attempted to go for variety but will likely end up having multiple albums anyway.

Best thing to do is to list the top 25 albums regardless of concerns, thoughts, worries. Just....top albums.

That's what I've done. Just took the Top 50 I have and picked out the Top 25 metal albums on the list.

Two bands take up 11 out of the 25 in my list, but it is what it is, those are my favorite ones.

That's what I've done. Just took the Top 50 I have and picked out the Top 25 metal albums on the list.

Two bands take up 11 out of the 25 in my list, but it is what it is, those are my favorite ones.
Yep! no problem there! Worked out great.

I can't find Avenged Sevenfold at that site. They should count, right? And what about early Linkin Park, or is nu metal out of question?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back