Bruce Dickinson

From Bruce's recent book tour talk in Dublin. Check 1:18 for the greatest variation on the intro to "Revelations" I've ever heard.

I know it's a small thing, but those vocalization moments and small Celtic and bluesy runs just sound so incredible coming from Bruce. Wish he'd sing more like that on Maiden songs.

The best way IMO to do Empire live would be as an encore, and then follow it up with a second more typical encore. Another thing Maiden hasn’t done.

I think the biggest barrier though is just Maiden’s performance style. It would require greater rhythmic coordination with the orchestra and a notoriously shaky rhythm section locking in with a large orchestra and a conductor. they would need to put in more rehearsal time than what they typically do.

The best way IMO to do Empire live would be as an encore, and then follow it up with a second more typical encore. Another thing Maiden hasn’t done.
The idea of having a first "unprecedented" encore followed by something more conventional was actually carried about by Iron Maiden on the Death on the Road tour, when they played "Journeyman" (they had never played in full acoustic mode before, though they did bring acoustic guitars on stage, starting with "Wasting Love", and an acoustic bass on "Blood on the World's Hands"). But maybe I didn't get what you mean. ;)

I can see the members of the orchestra at the soundcheck waiting for Maiden and someone saying them…don't you know it? The guys don't make soundcheck since the 80's and yes I promise you that the crazy guitar player don't throw his guitar :lol:

I don't think Bruce is lying/changing his mind in regards to Empire. It's different than saying "we will not play it" because "we" means the band Iron Maiden. Bruce himself doing it means it can still happen as a one off or whatever, without affecting Maiden's situation. It's the kind of thing where he said two different things, but they aren't mutually exclusive.

I think that if he ends up doing any further collaboration with the Quebec orchestra, Empire of the Clouds and one or two other "orchestra friendly" Maiden songs and, say, the orchestral arrangement of Tears of the Dragon might very well see the light of the day.

I wouldn't hold my breath though, but as far as Bruce's recent musical activities go, not to even mention the speculated/"mentioned as a possibility" category ones, it's not completely ridiculous thought.

Yeah, it's not a crazy idea, many artists have been played with an orchestra, rock and metal so…but I don't know what to think about Bruce because one day is saying one thing and the next day is saying the opposed.
Or maybe it was a comment that him and the conductor talked just for a minute before the concert and Metal news and the fans we're going crazy with the idea and can't stop of speculating about it.

Would be totally interesting to witness live-show with Maiden classics and especially Empire Of The Clouds played with orchestra.
Hope to see this happen, but as always, I wouldn't yet hold my breath as Bruce is so busy doing all the stuff he has going and planned for the next couple years.
So if it happens or not..we just don't know about it..

That's good question and I would like to know too. Maybe someone could ask there in Maiden's fb from Alex (who posted this pic) when they announced march 2020 dates. There's been some interesting collections on anything possible but seeing this was yet again something weird and totally unexpected for me.

I have 3 books (thats normally too many for me as I don't collect books), 2 are signed by Bruce (other I got personally when I met him at signing and other when I attended the book tour) and also I have the audio-edition (10cd in box) and it's kinda funny how it lasts 666 minutes (it does indeed) and that number is mentioned in the back-cover. Have to find time to listen to the full audio-edition as it's read by Bruce..

Back