Official Football Thread

While not a follower of the local game, I am pretty sure that the supporters of many Northern Irish teams would cause violence at matches, home and away. Through the prism of Brexit, you have seen the DUPs reluctance to have the north be aligned more with the south in any way. Translate this attitude to the rank and file supporters of many northern football teams. But, like I say, I don't follow the local game. A few boys in work do, I shall gauge opinion next week.

I am pretty sure that the supporters of many Northern Irish teams would cause violence at matches, home and away.
Such as the "No Surrender" types? It was of the first things I thought of after I read the story. Sport is supposed to be something that brings people together and helps bridge political divides, but football often brings out the worst in people. Ireland has one Rugby team and everyone seems to be happy, and football is the only sport I can think of that has frequent racist incidents from fans. Politics is also inextricably linked to football in a way that no other sport is. When England play Argentina the Falkland Islands always swirls around but when the two countries play Rugby matches that issue doesn't matter.

The article I posted links to another story about some sort of Irish Super Cup between the two league champions which is a nice idea. Perhaps it's best to keep the idea of an all-Ireland league on ice for the time being and see how politics plays out with regards to the border before making any concrete plans.

@Niall Kielt @srfc I was reading about the prospect of an all-Ireland league earlier.

Is this something you guys would be interested in?

Not hugely, because it won't last. There was several cross-border competitions down through the years, the most recent being the Setanta Cup which ran for about 10 years from the mid 2000's to 2015. It basically finished up because the teams from the south were a good bit stronger than the teams from the north, so the northern teams lost interest.

I liked the Setanta cup and would be happy if something similar was brought back, but not a full league campaign at the expense of out own league.

I highly recommend this article on racism in English football:

Great article, cheers. There have been a few interviews recently with Kick It Out on Talksport where they have highlighted many of the issues raised in this article so it does seem that people are being made aware that the English game is far from immune but I've certainly noticed more coverage given to events and problems in Eastern Europe than the lower levels of the English game.
A point raised in the article, which is spot on, it will take a high profile walk off or 2 to spur the powers that be into meaningful action.

"Congleton, whose spectators were apparently responsible for the alleged racist abuse, were fined £160. Padiham were fined £165 for abandoning the game."

The above highlights the ineptitude of the governing bodies approach to all this.

And the medias role is well highlighted by the fact that one of the anti-racism charities said they were inundated with requests for comment after England-Bulgaria but the following week, after incidents at games in England they received zero calls.

A high profile walk off will speak to the financial sensibilities of the governing bodies and the medias desire for Big Stories.

Cracking match at Anfield right now. 4-4 in the League Cup between the Liverpool Kids and Arsenal. Even Özil is playing well. :eek:

A Manchester United player also scored a penalty this evening. Big shocker.

I'm pretty drunk now so apologies for any typos, but we won the Cup today for the first time in 32 fucking years, and the first time since I've been a fan. The 25th time too so its pretty special as well.

Lot of fake uproar being created because our goal keeper (a northern ireland protestant) didn't face the tricolour during the national anthem. As far as everyone at Shamrock Rovers is concerned no one gave a flying fuck because Alan Mannus is the best keeper we ever had.

I'm pretty drunk now so apologies for any typos, but we won the Cup today for the first time in 32 fucking years, and the first time since I've been a fan. The 25th time too so its pretty special as well.

Lot of fake uproar being created because our goal keeper (a northern ireland protestant) didn't face the tricolour during the national anthem. As far as everyone at Shamrock Rovers is concerned no one gave a flying fuck because Alan Mannus is the best keeper we ever had.
:cheers:

Enjoy the moment, it could be another 32 fucking years.

I remember Alan Mannus. He used to play for a Scottish team, St. Johnstone I think.

National anthems cause more trouble than they're worth at sporting events, especially if it's not even an international match. Still, your man could've just looked at the orange stripe and pretended Arlene Foster was there. Nice win for Shamrock Rovers - perhaps they'll be rewarded with a visit from Rangers in the UEFA Cup qualifiers next summer?

His Scottish Cup winner's medal is a source of sadness for me. St. Johnstone beat Dundee United 2-0 in that match. :(

Have a guess who played at left-back for Dundee United in that match. You've all heard of him.

Big Al responds to the "controversy" in the Belfast Telegraph, the irony being that the Belfast Telegraph are the ones who generated the controversy in the first place.

Our former full back, and internet character, Pajo Flynn weighs in on the subject :lol:

Back